Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My Dad and I have had an ongoing debate on the use of synthetic oil. Since neither of us are mechanics it's pretty comical. smirk

I bought my truck with 85,000 mi. on it 7 yrs. ago, and at 100,000 I decided I wanted to switch to synthetic. A couple of self proclaimed mechanical experts told me that it would be bad for the motor, seals, etc. since it was broke in with conventional motor oil. I stayed with conventional and now have over 200,000 mi. with no issues.

Dad bought one of his trucks (same motor) 12 years ago with 40,000 mi. on it and immediately switched to synthetic. He has 290,000 mi. on it now. He had to replace the transmission and rear-end, but the motor is still strong. His self proclaimed expert says switch to synthetic as soon as possible for maximum performance and engine life.

What gives? I'm a believer in synthetics, but am on the fence when it comes to switching over.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just my .02., but I don't think it matters either way.. FWIW, I switch to synthetic at the very first oil change on all my vehicles, including the motorcycles - the exception is the wife's VW TDI that has synthetic oil right from the factory..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I believe that oil is oil and if you use the correct grade that your vehicle's owner's manual calls for and change it when you are supposed to it does not matter. Seems your experience validates that notion.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What is synthetic oil made from?????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, there are just Two (that I know of) REAL synthetics (Group IV) on the marget. Mobil One and Royal Purple. The rest are a mix.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cisco1
What is synthetic oil made from?????

Synthetic dinosaurs

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RJY66
I believe that oil is oil and if you use the correct grade that your vehicle's owner's manual calls for and change it when you are supposed to it does not matter. Seems your experience validates that notion.

Another friend of mine, a 3rd generation "shade tree" mechanic says, "go ahead and use that expensive stuff, I'm sticking with grandpa and the dollar store oil". grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of our cars call for synthetic mobile 1 from the factory, so that's what they get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All synthetic oil does is lighten your wallet.
Regular oil is fine.
Synthetic used to be far superior years ago, now not so much.
Conventional oil has come along way.
The secret (trick) is to change it !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
All synthetic oil does is lighten your wallet.
Regular oil is fine.
Synthetic used to be far superior years ago, now not so much.
Conventional oil has come along way.
The secret (trick) is to change it !

This we both do religiously (almost)! smirk

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
While that might be ok with US made vehicles, some of the German autos - especially those having the excellent TDI diesels - have very specific requirements re: oil manufacturers, weights etc., and if you do not use an oil that's on their list you may have some seriously expensive engine repairs in your future - along with an invalidated warranty (don't even think about Mag./Moss law).

FWIW... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
IS there any truth to staying with synthetic once you switch? I run what ever is on sale, synthetic or conventional.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
331,000 on a 94 Camry & no oil consumption....

532,000 of an 88 4Runner * no oil consumption...

20 to 25 thousand mile oil changes... and 3,300 mile filter changes...* 3 times every 10K....\\

Mobil One user....both of them.. along with the other family vehicles...43 to 175K on those cars...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
331,000 on a 94 Camry & no oil consumption....

532,000 of an 88 4Runner * no oil consumption...

20 to 25 thousand mile oil changes... and 3,300 mile filter changes...* 3 times every 10K....\\

Mobil One user....both of them.. along with the other family vehicles...43 to 175K on those cars...

THIS

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Another friend of mine, a 3rd generation "shade tree" mechanic says, "go ahead and use that expensive stuff, I'm sticking with grandpa and the dollar store oil". grin

Hey, if the dollar store oil has the same viscosity and API ratings as the name brand, I don't really see a problem with it. I've never used oil from a dollar store but have used O'Reilly's store brand without issue. Obviously, these retail places don't have their own refinery so they are getting the oil from one of the major oil companies who put it in a bottle with the retailer's name on it.

Some motorheads get worked up over this stuff like we get worked up over guns, calibers, bullets, etc. I'm not talking sythetic vs conventional but Castrol vs Quaker State, etc. Its laughable to me. Just use whatever the owner's manual in your car says to use. If it calls for synthetic use it.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/10/14.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, it doesnt matter what type of oil you use(except for warranty issues) as long as its quality oil. As far as switching at some point in time, it doesnt matter. Both dino and synthetic both have similar additives so no worries on seals and gaskets. Unless youre doing specific sample analysis before and after you switch, youll not know theres a difference. Unless there is a negative impact, which youll find out too late. As mileage adds up(over100k) and tolerances change, you can go with the next higher viscosity, but again, unless youre doing special sample analysis, you have zero clue whats happening in youre engine anyhow.

Personally, I stick with one oil for the life of the engine. Dino, Shell Rotella, or synthetic, Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Again, IMO, there is no need for a Group IV(amsoil, royal purple, etc.) unless youre vehicles specifically calls out for Group IV for warranty purposes.

If you dont follow Bobistheoilguy, or youre not mechanically inclined, chances are you have no clue what tolerances, add packs, or oil groups are, and its not going to matter what you pour in your engine.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We have been using Synthetic oils in our gas and diesel pickup fleet for 25+ years.
Besides increased change intervals, synthetics are the best to have in your crankcase in extreme conditions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey, if the dollar store oil has the same viscosity and API ratings as the name brand, I don't really see a problem with it..........Obviously, these retail places don't have their own refinery so they are getting the oil from one of the major oil companies who put it in a bottle with the retailer's name on it.

Youre the type of person that would benefit from learning more. Two bottles same viscosity and API, can yield TOTALLY different outcomes. Not just in engine life but gas mileage as well. And for the record, just because(for example) Brad Penn and Kendall come from the same refinery doesnt mean theyre the same product. Not even close.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The Porsche was delivered with Mobil 1 and that is what it gets. The trucks and Suburban get conventional and the old Mach 1 gets Valvoline VR-1. I am pretty certain that Redline oil is fully synthetic.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As far as I'm aware, only synthetics have zero grade oil whi ch is a major plus for getting your vehicle started at minus 40.This can be a huge benefit to your health and welfare if for a wilderness generator with limited cranking power.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.