-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good evening all. This one went in general big game as well, but in hindsight it probably should have gone here. A newbie at posting please excuse the duplication.

I am looking at a backpack Mtn goat hunt in September of 15. I have spoken to several outfits both in AK and now in the Skeena mtn region of BC. Having been to SE AK several times in the past and climbed those slippery, vegetation covered hills I am looking toward BC to get more of a "mountain" experience similar to sheep hunting. Maybe it is from seeing too many pictures or reading too many books, but my mind tells me that the hunt should be in a place with rocks and some vegetation vs a mossy hillside after fighting through blowdowns , alders, and devils club.
Has anyone hunted both places that may shed some light on this comparison, or simply hunted in southern BC?
Any recommendation of a BC guide would be appreciated as well.
Thanks for the help,
375PigGuy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted neither place, but it sounds like you have already made your mind up on the location. Go with your gut, you are spending a substantial amount of time, money, and effort on the hunt. You should get what you want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did two completely different goat hunts in 2011.
it wasn't BC, but I drew a tag on Kodiak, AK in one of the more god-foresaken units, and I also drew goat here in Idaho in a similarly tough unit in 9,000' country.

I killed billies in both places, but the hunts were completely different. Although the pucker-brush, devils club areas on Kodiak are wet and tough, there is something really exciting about being able to see goats above tree-line, very similar to Dall sheep hunting. It is a much more visual hunt. There can be many goats around you in a relatively small area.
In Idaho the goats come down into tree line and can be very tough to find and a guy may go days and many miles before finding one.

Again, dunno if it is apples and apples with BC, but both bunts are gratifying; and if I wanted to see more goats and increase my chances, Kodiak can be a ball buster but is hard to beat.
My biggest b*tch there is the flipping bears.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Decide which situational hunt you want and go for it.

I don't think it's a case of one being "better" than the other - just different.

Good luck and enjoy your choice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kodiak for me if I had the choice.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I would hunt the Skeena Go with the Collingwoods in Spatsizi park.Monster goats in there and plentiful.
I am a resident and killed a good goat in there.It will be the trip of a lifetime for you... true wilderness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot 3 goats in AK and 2 in BC. Been on lots of other goat hunts as a packer in AK. Been in goat country in many states.

Go to the type area you want to be in, whether that's AK or BC. You can hunt inland or coastal in either.

Whatever you do, go late. The prize is the hair, not the horn.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help everyone. I am looking hard at BC , it appears to be more of what I am looking for. I will check out the Collingwoods as well.

375PigGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.