Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
16gauge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've only been there once (this past summer)....most challenging for me (so far) was my kudu; the terrain (mountainous), high winds, and long range(250 yard shot), and getting the head/carcass of the top of the mountain, made it quite an experience to remember.

What was your toughest African game to take to date? What made it so tough/difficult (difficulty getting close, weather related issues, nature of the animal..i.e. spooky, great eyesight in an open enviroment, etc,?

Enquiring minds would like to know................ smile

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Trying to "help" carry my wife's mountain reedbuck up to the truck. When it was my ram, I let the young legs and lungs do it. Flatlanders should not try to be mountain men, especially within a week of beginning jet lag recovery. (The hunts were fun, too.)

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Shooting my first kudu up on a mountain and then having to go look for him let me know pretty quickly I was over matched. Between age, weight, and condition when walking in the sand got to me pretty quickly.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vaal Rhebuck and Cape Grysbuck.

Vaal Rhebuck because of their incredible eyesight and Cape Grysbuck simply spotting a male before they run. Seeing the horns on them is incredibly difficult since their horns sits right in front of their ears. On the ears in line with the horns, there is a black edge on the ears often misleading inexperienced PH's to shoot a female, tricking them to "seeing" horns.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Kudu are always interesting. As are zebra. When I hunted buffalo the area wasn't the best. Buffalo were scarce and heavily hunted, that was my most difficult�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zebra are smart and cagey. Lots of frustration as they gave us the slip repeatedly. The longest but also the most fun was a buffalo. Cut the tracks of a herd in the Selous that was feeding downwind. We would bump the tracks of the edge of the herd then go cross wind and do a semi circle back until we bumped the tracks again. After a mile or two they started feeding cross wind and we picked up the pace and stayed on the tracks. After another mile or so the herd started upwind and we could really move. When we finally caught up with the herd we had buff on 3 sides of us and were on the sticks several times until we found the right bull.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've hunted Africa 3 different times. I hunted from 10-12 days with a dozen or more critters on the hit list. Each time a different animal have me the most trouble. First trip it was the Red Hartebeest, second trip was Eland with a bow and on my last trip into South Africa's Limpopo province it could be any one of the number of critters that escaped me, although I took a dozen or more species in that multi species rich environment. I'll go back there soon for round 2.

In just 3 weeks I'll undertake my first DG hunt as I go after Cape buffalo, and during the last 2 weeks of October I'll hunt leopard for the first time.

Can't wait to see what happens with these hunts!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've taken some hard to get critters like Vaal rhebok and blue duiker, but it took me three safaris before I got a zebra or bushbuck.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My most challenging has been spot and stalk baboon in an area where they got shot at anytime they were seen.

Sharp critters.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 09/10/14. Reason: sp
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for Vaal Rhebok and then Bongo in the Rainforest.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bushbuck and warthog.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Mine was a Blesbok. We had to low crawl for almost 600 yds in the open, and there were hundreds of eyes all around us. I took the shot at roughtly 180 yds from the shoulder of my PH. laugh It was a great stalk too.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
My most challenging has been spot and stalk baboon in an area where they got shot at anytime they were seen.

Sharp critters.

I found this to be the case on my recent trip in SA. I missed 2 shots at a very wary mature male that was well aware of my presence with my bow, but I connected with 3 on the same day with the rifle.

They are much fun to hunt!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
WS Bush buck in the Eastern Cape - by far the hardest hunt I've done - mind you the kudu around Stytlerville are no gimme either!

Throw in a back wildebeest on high plains - you got your hands full there as well!

Last edited by Kudu11; 09/11/14.

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stalked an impala buck for 2 hours to get from 450 yards to 200 yards and then wound up shooting with a 20 mph crosswind with my 375 H&H. I loved every second of it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found my eland hunt to be great. Multiple attempts to track them in heavy bush - sometimes getting within 20 yards without seeing them, only to hear them bust us.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Zimbabwe hunting eland, four long days working around herds of zebra and impala without spooking them, trying to get close enough in the brush with a clear shot. Eland don't stand still much and when you spook them, that long stride of their's takes them many miles away very quickly. By far, the toughest hunt for me to date.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Zambezi Valley: Three hours into the first day of hunting, we encountered four bull elephants. We waited a couple of hours for the wind to stop shifting and then walked down hill toward them. They had moved but we found them. Eventually the PH told me to shoot at the point of the shoulder of one. Problem: I wasn't quite sure where that was and there was deep shade, so one .458 solid hit a bit too far back and another fired as a Texas heart shot and the bull was gone.

A few hours later (I was nearly dead with fatigue), the bull charged out of the mopane at us, but had his angle wrong. All I could see was trackers jumping around so I shouted at the PH to shoot. He missed the entire elephant with two shots.

Day 2: We tracked the bull to where (we thought) it joined three others and spent all day climbing up and down the Zambezi Escarpment. Finally came up with them but it was the wrong bull.

Day 3: We got on the right tracks but the bull went into the Chete Safari Area. We had to drive two hours to the main post (fort?) to get a permit and a (worthless) game scout. Back on the trail. A visitor to our camp was flying a small plane back to Harare and offered to try to spot the bull. After a long and exhaustive walk on our part, he radioed the bull's position, which was only 300 yards ahead of us on the trail. It had been dead since the first day.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Western Roan in Cameroon. There had been a brush fire and we didn't have a lot of brush to use on the stalk. It took quite a bit of time to get close enough for a stalk.

[Linked Image]

Second hardest was a Vaal Rhebok. Long shot on a very small antelope. He broke a horn on a rock rolling down the hill.

[Linked Image]

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.