Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I wasn't gonna say anything smile

It looks to me like eye relief may be a problem. Another post noted eye box issues.

No eyebox issues on that scope. Have one on my 6.5mm Creedmoor. I brought two relatively inexperienced shooters to the range with me today. Neither had any problems getting behind the 3-9x42 SS SWFA. Interestingly, I couldn't coax either of them to try my Kimber Montana 7mm-08. Reason given? They didn't like the scope (compared to the SWFA). The Kimber is wearing a Leupold 6x42 FX3. They both looked through this the rifle and watched the others hits on steel at 500yds.

[Linked Image]

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 09/14/14. Reason: picture added
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Negative. The scope was set up for wearing my typical late-season -35 F hunting clothes, since this is a hunting rifle, which requires a bit different positioning during summer months. It works fine for me, either way. I wouldn't complain if the scope had a touch longer ER at 9x, but I'm not worried about it at all. I've not had a problem in several hundred rounds shot mostly from prone, with much of that shot at an upward angle (worst case ER scenario). EB is not an issue at all.

It's too bad the stock's too long, or I would have really rung the bell!

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have no problem with the eye box on the 3-9, but I'm not happy with the eye relief on 9x when mounted on harder kickers. ER at 9x is listed at 3.03". Folks like Jordan might not have an issue, but I use a light hold and wear glasses so 3" just doesn't work for me on hard or fast kickers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I have no problem with the eye box on the 3-9, but I'm not happy with the eye relief on 9x when mounted on harder kickers. ER at 9x is listed at 3.03". Folks like Jordan might not have an issue, but I use a light hold and wear glasses so 3" just doesn't work for me on hard or fast kickers.

Main reason why I inquired about the 3-15x42mm as the listed spec's show the ER to be much more generous (3.8" at 15x).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan, I've been shooting my SWFA 3-9 which is on a lighter weight 7mm Remington prone as well. No issues on any power yet. Probably buying more of the 6x but if the right deal for a 3-9 came by, I'd buy it also.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Jordan,

Did Lil Fish mount that scope? laugh

It seems a might bit far back, as in the ocular is actually over the comb.

I have nothing against SWFA and from all reports they are good quality optic at that price point but from the picture that scope appears to be impossible to properly mount.

Could you hang a picture of the rifle shouldered with the right eye relief?
John,
Haha, the scope is mounted so the ER from prone on 9x, and from standing on 4x, is ideal for me. It does have a long ocular assy, but it's not a problem. I was able to dig this up on my PB account...
[Linked Image]

The perspective in the first picture looked really far back although I don't think I could shoot that setup without get smacked sooner or later.

I do get a laugh when Lil Fish posts one of his rifle menageries and the scope mounting is all over the place.

I am glad the scope is working for you but if (when) you get whacked it would be the right thing to come back and fess up. We won't hardly laugh and I know you can take a little ball bustin. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,

If one gets careless with the prone position I could see the ER on 9x being a little on the scarce side under certain shooting conditions, though it hasn't been an issue for me thus far. I'll let you know if it ever becomes an issue, although I'm doubtful. wink

I'm not brand biased, I simply experiment and gravitate towards what works best for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should probably just move it forward and make everyone else happy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
John,

If one gets careless with the prone position I could see the ER on 9x being a little on the scarce side under certain shooting conditions, though it hasn't been an issue for me thus far. I'll let you know if it ever becomes an issue, although I'm doubtful. wink

I'm not brand biased, I simply experiment and gravitate towards what works best for me.

One of several reasons I like reading your opinions on the gear you use. Doesn't appear you've had much trouble killing stuff yet.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I do get a laugh when Lil Fish posts one of his rifle menageries and the scope mounting is all over the place.

Lord knows I ain't in the fan-club, but doesn't he have a bunch set up for his kids?

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Which means your stock is about 3/4 of an inch too long. It baffles me why most can't understand this. It is almost like arguing with libtards.

Too fuggin' funny...

JFC you are one stupid poser.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't be ridiculous. Every scope on every rifle should be set up the exact same way no matter who is shooting it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't believe he had the nerve to mount it without asking permission. What the hell is the world coming too?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah what's obviously needed here is a Campfire Central Intelligence Scope Mounting Action Committee (CCISMAC,for those who speak in tongues), to ensure scope mounting compliance and uniformity as required.

It could be run like Congress which means it will not function at all but can make lots of noise.

A mission statement must be drafted and approved.

Standards simply must be met otherwise what's the world coming to?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image]

That is some DAMNED good shooting! It's too bad that the scope position was a hindrance, though...

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget the C.C.S (Council for Cartridge Selection) You are aware that any bullet with a diameter of .277 is no longer allowed by default?

Then there's the BWCA (Blued and Wood Coalition of America)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
You should probably just move it forward and make everyone else happy.

Well that really does seem to be the best answer, good thinking.

Originally Posted by starsky
Don't be ridiculous. Every scope on every rifle should be set up the exact same way no matter who is shooting it.

More truth to that than most understand.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Yeah what's obviously needed here is a Campfire Central Intelligence Scope Mounting Action Committee (CCISMAC,for those who speak in tongues), to ensure scope mounting compliance and uniformity as required.

It could be run like Congress which means it will not function at all but can make lots of noise.

A mission statement must be drafted and approved.

Standards simply must be met otherwise what's the world coming to?

I think if we form a committee we will be right back where we started with lots of different opinion, most of which are wrong. Sounds exhausting and chaotic. I really think we just need a Scope Dictator or SD.

I will talk to Rick Bin about this but I am pretty sure I will be named SD. I expect I will be given banning powers so the first one of you smarties that refers to the SD as a Stupid Dick is going to get the hammer.

Carry on.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll say one thing about you JB SD or whatever moniker you desire is you have a good sense of humor and took a lot of crap with more grace than I would have. A lot of folks from other forums won't even come here because of the "tough crowd" so to speak.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Negative. The scope was set up for wearing my typical late-season -35 F hunting clothes, since this is a hunting rifle, which requires a bit different positioning during summer months. It works fine for me, either way.

Makes sense to me. Must take some serious garb for that weather.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Why does Burns want to be a dicktaster?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,348
Posts18,506,238
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.