Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
OSU_Sig: Thanks for that tip!
I will keep it in mind - once Varmint season commences again.
The Leupold bases came in today and I bought them, came home, sure that I had rings on hand but turns out I only had matte finished rings.
Back to town for some Leupold medium gloss rings and now the Rifle has a scope (I switched desires for now to a Weaver KT-15 - straight 15 power) and all lined up well and double bore sighted (with two different bore sighters).
We are hosting 5 German fisherman here at Rancho Varminto tonight so had to help prepare dinner this afternoon.
DEAD CALM here all day - wouldn't you know it!
Will shoot tomorrow unless high winds appear from somewhere.
Thanks again for the partial loading tip.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Rainierrifleco: Thanks for the comeback - I bet that is a SWEET rig!
Enjoy that gunshow find.
I often (twice a year or so) travel from SW Montana to the Puyallup gunshow - I visit relatives and friends whilst out in traffic land!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Msquared: I recall seeing a new Remington 541-T at the police range that my police guild owned out in the tide flats of Seattle.
The range had an F.F.L. and they would buy pistols and Rifles for sale to members at CHEAP prices.
Anyway the year was approximately 1992 or so and that 541-T Rifle was marked $295.00!
I passed on it and it soon sold.
I bought a Remington 700 PSS in 223 Remington from them instead and it was priced at $335.00 back then.
I wish I had scrimped somehow and bought them both as the 541-T had a VERY nicely figured stock.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I went ahead and did some shooting with my new 541-T yesterday even though the wind was NOT still.
As I feared, the 541-T "prefferred" the ultra-hard to find Winchester Power-Points in 40 grain configuration over every other hollow-point bullet I tried!
Drat on that, but I am thankful it shot so well and again the trigger was just superb at 2 pounds 2 ounces (now that I got my trigger pull gauge on it) - very consistent and very crisp with NO creep.
Due to air movement I shot groups at 25 yards only yesterday.
The 40 grain Winchester Power-Points made one hole groups at that distance - one of the groups measured .185" for 5 shots there at 25 yards.
The bulk pack Federal hollow-points made groups just at twice that size and the 37 grain Winchester hollow-points were only slightly better than that.
I am going to have to come up with a "source" for the Winchester Power-Points before next spring!
By a giant coincidence into my local gun shop yesterday comes another Remington 541 this one though is the 541-S Custom Sporter model (made in June of 1977). It did not last even 1 hour on the rack as one of my Hunting/gun trading partners bought it on sight at a hair over $500.00 - it is in 95% condition and has an EXCEPTIONAL trigger pull on it!
I have not seen one of these Rifles for sale for a long time and here in short order two of them come along.
Never rains but it pours I guess?
Anyway I am thrilled with the accuracy of the 541-T and determined to find more Winchester Power-Points by next spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, Nice find.. I had a light and heavy barreled 541.. Let them both go for some reason.. but they were fine rifles.. I would buy another even at the 500 dollar price.. Mine shot CCI hollow points very well.. I find it interesting you use WW Power Points.. I honestly have never seen much of that ammo around here at ANY TIME!! I had about 1000 rounds I picked up some where, and over the years shot a brick of it.. It was good stuff.
It is one I would like to get a few more bricks of.. We may make a hunting trip back east this year in the late fall... Will watch for some.. IF I CAN REMEMBER LONG ENOUGH, I will pm you if I make a find.. Some time when you have a few minutes, I would like to know some of your favorite shows in Montana.. I have made a couple in Billings.. They were awesome compared to our shows.. I enjoyed just looking even if I didn't buy anything..
Have a good fall..

Molon Labe
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: That Billings gunshow is a good one - I see they are having 4 (four) gunshows there in Billings this year.
I plan on doing the Great Falls show this weekend as its usually well attended and perky.
I can recommend you travel to the annual August Missoula Gunshow (they held their 59th annual show there this August) held at the College, but the Missoula gunshow held at the poorly lit and smallish fairgrounds (October 3rd, 4th and 5th) would probably not be worth your travel and time!
The Butte and Helena gunshows are now smaller than they used to be.
Of recent I travel to gunshows in Washington, Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming (the Winchester show in Cody) as well as all the Montana gunshows I can make.
Thanks for the fall well wishes - I think fall is one of my 4 (four) favorite seasons in Montana - in other words I love all the seasons here in Montana.
This, coming from a human who lived the first 49 years of his life in a region that had ONE season and that was wet and gray year round!
Maybe I should more directly andswer your gunshow question.
I have done gunshows in Montana at Lewistown, Kalispell, Twin Bridges, Dillon, Big Timber, Helena, Great Falls, Bozeman, Whitehall, Anaconda, Wisdom, Wise River, Hamilton, Livingston, Stevensville and Missoula and I have done the best, over the years, at the August Missoula show.
I again think, that show, would be worth your time and expense to travel to.
Enjoy your September/October as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There is just something special about good .22 rifles. Congratulations!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, Thanks...

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
5sdad: I agree with you completely 5sdad.
I do admit to this recent sadness that I endure from time to time nowadays - I literally get the urge to go do some 22 rimfire shooting with one of my "good" 22's and I change my mind because of worries over replacing the munitions I might go through.
I have not as yet tried the humble Remington Golden Bullets (hollow-points) in my new 541-T.
I have about 2,000 of them on hand - maybe they will shoot in my new Gopher Getter (the 541-T)?
Next month will be 2 full years of this rimfire "shortage" situation.
I will be glad when this situation is over.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know what you mean. When I get a chance to visit my son, we still go out to the gun club (both members) and shoot .22s along with the centerfires, but there is always that nagging thought about diminishing what has become a non-renewable resource. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
5sdad: This morning I was able to render inert the first Varmint with my new 541-T!
Said Varmint made the mistake of alighting/standing on top of a fence post long enough for me to go to my gun vault room open it up go to my gun safe get my Rifle then go to my loading room and get the appropriate ammo and walk outside to take a hand clamping rest on my house corner.
The shot was a simple one at about 40 - 45 yards - but boy did some black and white feathers fly at the shot.
No more nest robbing from that cretin.
That incident this morning reminded me to relay to you all the difficulty of loading one of my magazines with ammo - I think the opening is out of specs or my ammo is big at their bases?
And on occassion the next loaded round in both of my current magazines jumps up out of its proper position in the magazine with the base of that cartridge pointing upwards and then that round is unable to load into the chamber?
This has happened about 8 or 10 times now out of 150 or so rounds loaded.
These magazines don't show much wear at all but do not work at an fair or acceptable level - I will get some more magazines soon and also open the Model 77 magazine from its bubble wrapper next chance I get and try that one out.
Take the bad with the good I guess?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good report - enjoy!

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: Left Dillon way before sunrise and in a driving rain yesterday for the Great Falls, Montana gunshow.
We got there near the opening bell and spent several fun and interesting hours there before heading to Scheels and then back south to the sport shops in Helena.
I sold several items out of my back pack including ammo, a scope, a fly reel, two knives and a range finder.
Profits from sales way more than paid for my share of the costs.
I did buy a knife and a new in the box Redding 220 Swift "bushing" "neck" type resizing die.
I paid $15.00 for that.
I have NO idea what this die does but for that price I will figure out something to do with it.
Then I found a fellow from Billings was blowing out some 55 grain 22 caliber Nosler Ballistic tips at an asking price of $15.00 a box - I got a bunch of those.
I did bid on two guns and a scope but no luck there.
The show advertises 600 tables and I was gonna count them but was to busy - I would say nearly 20% of the tables were antiques and toys and such but those were even some quality offerings.
I came within an eyelash of buying a wall mounted all original and mint condition crank telephone for $200.00!
The 450 or so gun related tables kept me busy all day!
I did buy a 1977 Weatherby catalog for a pittance and a Handloader issue #3 (with Elmer Keith on the cover in a reclining position shooting one of his 44 Magnum pistols as it rested on his shin) for a dollar!.
There was no reasonably priced 22 rimfire there at the show (and not much of that!) nor was there ANY avaliable in the towns I travelled through.
Lots of quality S&W older revolvers there and MANY nifty old Winchesters and a couple of Colt revolvers - all priced strongly!
I wanted to relay to you that I thought this September Great Falls show is well worth doing.
Good luck if you decide to try it next year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took my 541 out for a spin today, forgot just how accurate it is. Im lucky as the preferred ammo is Fed 510's and I stocked up in 08 before king dick head got in office. Mine is topped with a VX-II 4-12 AO, its also a sporter barrel with 3 action screws. Mine will also give ya a nice first shot flyer, easily fixed by hand loading the 1t round

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Passport: I am happy for you and your accurate 541.
I am not familiar though with the "Federal 510's".
Are they a target round or hollow-points?
For many years I used the Leupold 4x12's with the A/O feature on many of my 22 rimfires - great scopes these.
Slowly (sadly) over the years I robbed them off and put them on centerfire Varmint, Antelope and Deer Rifles.
I am also puzzled by your Rifles tendency to "flyer" the first round whenst loaded from the magazine?
Do you have any possible theories as to why that is so?
Do what works - is my motto.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Top round gets tilted up and shaves some lead off when chambered. My 511 does the same thing.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 09/29/14.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, Thanks again.. I may check with you come spring on prospects.. We usually spend time in Mt. during the spring and sometimes in the summer.. Next yr. our travel plans for Aug. should be pretty open.. We are thinking of skipping the Sept. and early Oct. hunts here and doing some bird hunting and fishing in other states.. I have a young golden that is developing in to and outstanding bird dog.. At my age, I am more interested in packing out a couple grouse, than an elk..
We have enough cow seasons, I can probably take an elk on my return.. Thanks for the tips on the gunshows.. Like I said, I loved the Montana shows.. Keep up the good work..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
VG, Nice find.. I had a light and heavy barreled 541.. Let them both go for some reason.. but they were fine rifles.. I would buy another even at the 500 dollar price.. Mine shot CCI hollow points very well.. I find it interesting you use WW Power Points.. I honestly have never seen much of that ammo around here at ANY TIME!! I had about 1000 rounds I picked up some where, and over the years shot a brick of it.. It was good stuff.
It is one I would like to get a few more bricks of.. We may make a hunting trip back east this year in the late fall... Will watch for some.. IF I CAN REMEMBER LONG ENOUGH, I will pm you if I make a find.. Some time when you have a few minutes, I would like to know some of your favorite shows in Montana.. I have made a couple in Billings.. They were awesome compared to our shows.. I enjoyed just looking even if I didn't buy anything..
Have a good fall..

I agree our gunshows have become flea markets.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: I do not have a 2,015 Weapons Collectors Society of Montana gunshow calendar as yet but in 2,014 there in Great Falls, Montana our association sponsored a 200 table gunshow in March and then in late April they sponsored a 600 table gunshow at the same venue.
I would expect the same come 2,015.
The Weapons Collectors Society of Montana has a web site under that name and I am sure in a month or two (if not already happened) they will have a 2,015 schedule for your perusal.
"They" say that Montana is the cheapest state in the union for a non-resident to Hunt waterfowl!
I think all you need is a state waterfowl stamp/license and a Federal stamp which most bird Hunters already have.
I am not sure about the Montana non-resident upland bird licensing needs.
Good luck with your dogs this fall.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fed 510's are a solid 40 grn bullet at 1240 FPS IIRC. Never had a rifle that favored them as the best load but my 541 LOVES em!

If you google "Federal 510" you will get gobbs of intel

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.