Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My buddy texts me the other day....he has a nice Rem 700 280 MR that shoots really well....but he thinks he wants to use it as a donor, re barrel with a Douglas #2,and chamber 7x57, then chase his tail for a McMillan MR Edge pattern stock.

I am a wet blanket... grin

I say to him WTF are you thinking?

The 280 fits that Rem 700 action better,goes faster easily,and the rifle is all together and shoots like crazy....plus Rem 700 MR's in 280 ain't on every street corner.

All that work and expense to lose 150 fps,and end up with a cartridge that doesn't fit a Rem 700 action.I also told him if you are gonna do ANYTHING with it, screw on a 270 tube..... whistle

In the end I told him leave it alone.... cool

You 7x57 people are slightly deranged... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had a Mt rifle in 7x57 Bob�the cartridges fit in just fine grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My buddy texts me the other day....he has a nice Rem 700 280 MR that shoots really well....but he thinks he wants to use it as a donor, re barrel with a Douglas #2,and chamber 7x57, then chase his tail for a McMillan MR Edge pattern stock.

I am a wet blanket... grin

I say to him WTF are you thinking?

The 280 fits that Rem 700 action better,goes faster easily,and the rifle is all together and shoots like crazy....plus Rem 700 MR's in 280 ain't on every street corner.

All that work and expense to lose 150 fps,and end up with a cartridge that doesn't fit a Rem 700 action.I also told him if you are gonna do ANYTHING with it, screw on a 270 tube..... whistle

In the end I told him leave it alone.... cool

You 7x57 people are slightly deranged... smile

Always the voice of pragmatism. grin
If Matt was the bud in question, you could chalk it up to a yute being yute.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They are easy to spot as they tend to wear pith helmets and never shut up about a guy named Bell ;-)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bangeye
They are easy to spot as they tend to wear pith helmets and never shut up about a guy named Bell ;-)

People with a lisp need helmets to take a leak? grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm on the way out the door w/my "Bombay Bowler", my 93 and pink ear muffs to mow the lawn. Really do like the gun rack on my MTU!-Muddy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
I'm on the way out the door w/my "Bombay Bowler", my 93 and pink ear muffs to mow the lawn. Really do like the gun rack on my MTU!-Muddy

My wife and I just bought a long-overdue new house (new to us, anyway). It has a very large yard and came with a zero-turn John Deere mower. When she saw it, she said, "That's mine." Fine with me. Now I need to buy her a Bombay Bowler to keep the sun off her face.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rev. Just got done and no old 175 gr. WW rounds expended. Excellent pocket gopher bullets with just the right combination of penetration and expansion for proper fertilization!-Muddy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rev. Just got done and no old 175 gr. WW rounds expended. Excellent pocket gopher bullets with just the right combination of penetration and expansion for proper fertilization!-Muddy

I'll load her some to carry on the Z-Trak. Thanks for the tip. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bangeye

People with a lisp need helmets to take a leak? grin

Chuckle, not sure your target but thought I'd share "pith" is correct, as in a plant fiber that the helmets are/were made from originally and covered with cloth, hence pith helmets.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It was a play on words. I know exactly what they are.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rev. Don't forget to get her a pair of Winchester brand pink ear protection from wal-mart for the Z-Trak!-Muddy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rev. Don't forget to get her a pair of Winchester brand pink ear protection from wal-mart for the Z-Trak!-Muddy

Absolutely! And here's a whole kit that comes with glasses and bag to store lunch and drinks! I'll be The Man come Christmastime!!

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Ingwe: think Corbett would have used one?

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike

Absolutely! And here's a whole kit that comes with glasses and bag to store lunch and drinks! I'll be The Man come Christmastime!!

[Linked Image]
Yup you DA MAN!

If need be we have an extra bed. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yup you DA MAN!

If need be we have an extra bed. grin

I appreciate that. cry

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Look at it this way Rev,I'll take you coyote calling. smile

And the daytime highs are in the 60's,lows in the 20-30's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll keep it in mind. Those lows might be tough on a Florida boy, though. eek

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't worry Sport,just add more warm clothing.

Couple of years ago,it did get down to 9* according to the truck gauge. That was a little nippy,my call froze before the end of my third series. frown

Last edited by elkhunternm; 09/22/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Don't worry Sport,just add more warm clothing.

I'd look like Randy from "A Christmas Story".

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.