Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Boy you guys really know how to rub it in!!!
<br>
<br>Having just paid $750, it really hurts to hear about all this!!
<br>
<br>I actually called galyans too, but they won't ship to NJ, so I am kinda screwed. Even tried calling some friends in the Ga area to see if they would go and buy me one, but nobody really was interested, oh well.
<br>
<br>I have some more info on these which you guys may find helpful or informative at least. Yes, I have been on the phone a lot.
<br>
<br>The stock is not an H-S as I thought. I called H-S and spoke to one of their guys and they said they never had a deal with beretta. Then I called Bell and Carlson, the person I got there was not a "senior" member of the firm, but thought they did supply these. After comparing to the "medalist" series they make, I am pretty sure it is a B&C, although not 100%.
<br>
<br>Then I called Shilen to get directions about the trigger for the same reasons John F said. I spoke with a very knowledegable guy there who did in fact confirm that they supplied beretta....but. The triggers will not adjust down to near 3lbs in factory form. He said that Beretta wanted to make sure they were amply stiff, yes for legal reasons he said, and actually specified a pull of over 6 lbs... ugh. He said that to get it down near 3 lbs would require a different trigger shoe as to get the weight up they had to change the angle. This altered angle will not allow you to get it down to 3 lbs. So, Shilen will sell you a new "shoe" for about $20 to get this thing into the "right" zone.
<br>
<br>Then I called beretta about the magazine issue, you are very correct John, mine does not load either with the mag in place as the manual so clearly states it will. this is not acceptable in my book!! The person at Beretta said that this should be fixed and that in fact the magazines are supposed to be custom fitted at the factory to ensure that this does in fact work as stated. I have to call back today, but the person thought it should be a factory warranty issue. FYI, if you are thinking about getting an xtra mag, this is the time to do it (assuming you are sending the gun in for a repair) as they will not sell you one without sending the gun into to get it "custom" fitted, or so they told me.
<br>
<br>Bases, not every one that fits the pre 64 model 70 express will fit due to the bolt release lever. Ones with a "smallish" footprint are ok, such as the weaver variants, but others may be a problem
<br>
<br>Anyway, hope this is of some help.
<br>
<br>With time, I guess I will get over getting "hosed" on my deal, I hope.
<br>
<br>i would like to hear from you guys as you get to shooting these to see how things are going. With all the recent acquistions, we could almost have a club
<br>
<br>Bob
<br>
<br>

GB1

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
George, its in your name at the Frisco Store, Make
<br>sure you ask for Paul. # 214-618-0200 You need to
<br>pick it up today.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Hey Bill!

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
BlackBart
<br>
<br>Thanks for the information, good stuff to consider!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BlackBart,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the information from Shilen and Beretta.
<br>
<br>My trigger is really so crisp that I will see how it shoots before messing with it.
<br>
<br>I wonder if Beretta will let me bring it in directly to avoid shipping hassles ... they are only about 45 min. from my house.
<br>
<br>John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SU35
<br>
<br>I called them and talked to Paul. I reckon i'll take a half-day today and go up there and pick it up.
<br>
<br>Thanx,
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, Atlanta is 700 miles from me and I am considering going over there to buy one. Sounds like a deal to me. That is the first good reason I've heard to live in Atlanta. LOL
<br>
<br>Went back and read some posts I had skipped and found that they have Galyan's in Texas. Drat, all sold out.
<br>
<br>If George above is not going to pick up that 7mag, please let me know, I have a home for it. [Linked Image]

Last edited by If It Flies It Dies; 09/20/02.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Flies, there maybe an outside chance they (Gaylans)
<br>will have more in, check in with them on Monday the
<br>23rd or tuesday.
<br>
<br>They are getting another shipment of guns on monday.
<br>
<br>Also heard today that some Beretta dealers that bought
<br>Motos at wholesale prices are very ticked off at what
<br>is happening. A lady manager at one store is calling
<br>Beretta and giving them a hard time about it.
<br>
<br>I'll be looking for a 300 g Matchking load for my 338,
<br>the Cats around here are going to be in deep trouble!!
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as the prices go, it sounds like Beretta is closing the line out to me. Or instituting some fairly significant change in the basic rifle. This is all speculation on my part but all major gun manufacturers will cut their losses in a hurry if a line is not moving. I suspect that the initial pricing of the Mato was too inbetween. Too high for the average John Q. Deerslayer and not showing enough quality features, etc to interest a lot of guys with the money to buy an expensive rifle. Hard to crack the Remchestger market. Or perhaps they have decided it was too competitive in the same niche as their Sako lines.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have been wondering why the sudden reduction in price my self....
<br>
<br>Still, the component quality seems to be worth much more than 499.00 especially compared to the factory offerings from Remchester these days.
<br>
<br>I thought most of the day about buying one of these just to salt it away unfired, but I believe I'll stay with my original plan of having PacNor re-barrel my actions as I can afford it.
<br>
<br>They do look like a sweet unit though. I doubt that those who buy them will ever be worse off for it! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it is a steal, but since I can't find any, it is like the old joke about how cheap my eggs are for sale, but I don't have any.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

<br>Got this from their web site:
<br>
<br>Featured Now 12 MONTHS SAME AS CASH on all rifles & shotguns!
<br>
<br> It seems like you can't afford not to get a Matto !
<br>

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Remember the straight pull Mauser 96? They went for nearly a grand when they first came out. When they discontinued it, you could pick one of for $350. Same thing happened to the Steyr SSG. Same thing happend the year the Winchester 71 came out. That was also the year the 86 was dropped from the line, and Winchester wholesaled their remaining stock out at 50% off. Beretta must be about to drop the line. This rifle is a true bargain, I think. They do come along every once in a while. Only thing bad I can say about the Mato is that I saw one in a gun store once, tried the trigger, and it was terrible. Very creepy. Check the trigger before you buy it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The reason I almost never buy brand new guns is because you generally get so much more value in the used gun market. Generally when I buy a used gun I know that I can turn around and sell it for more than I paid. A recent example is a mint 788 remington .243 I paid $200 for.
<br>
<br>I bought two of the matos because as soon as this supply runs out there will be no more available and the gun stores are still selling them for near a grand. I'll bet they are pissed at beretta.
<br>
<br>There are about 25 galyans stores scattered across the country and each store received about 8 matos according to the store manager I talked to. That means there were around 200 matos offered at this price across the entire country. I really hope they get another shipment as I think the mato offers a very nice option for the buyer who was shopping for a run of the mill remchester.
<br>
<br>Hopefully Galyans will get in a shipment of the delux models at a greatly reduced price. I'd love to get one of those in 375 H&H for about $700
<br>
<br>As far as the triggers, I checked both of mine and they are very crisp but around 4 pounds.
<br>
<br>Good shooting, Weagle
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flies,
<br>
<br>I picked up my Mato yesterday, Also pruchased a leupold v-II 3-9x40. (and one for my weatherby)
<br>
<br>SU35,
<br>
<br>Once again thanx, I need to find some bases and rings. I have some company coming in from out of town next week-end and they want to do some shooting .... sounds like a fun day at the range.
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
avagadro
<br>
<br>Great! Glad to hear you were able to get it.
<br>
<br>I hope we hear from any who bought the Mato, let us
<br>know how they shoot.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought my Mato from the BX here in alaska. They have a policy of dropping the prices on rifles that sit in the rack too long. Bought mine, in 7mm, a couple of weeks ago for $453.00. Looks like everybody is getting in on the deal, now.
<br>
<br>The folks at Beretta customer service said they are discontinuing the standard Mato, but will continue to manufacture the Mato Deluxe. Not sure what the difference is, besides the wood stock on the deluxe.
<br>
<br>I haven't had any trouble loading mine with the magazine in. Works just fine, and the trigger is as smooth as any I've ever owned. Don't know how to calculate all that MOA stuff, but I put a vari-x II 3x9x50 on her(Tally bases and rings) and she shoots nice respectable groups.
<br>
<br>Happy to see other people getting Matos. They were bashed silly at shooters a couple of months ago. Now we'll get some opinions from guys that actually own them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got mine in 7mag yesterday @ the Lenox store. I also got my wife a Browning 425 20 gauge. Gotta love that 12 months same as cash-I only wish they had more of the Matos.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the Mato evaluations I've read have them shooting around an inch, which is certainly not bad, but I wonder why, with the quality components they are assembled from, that they don't do a bit better? Could be the stock, I dunno, just speculating.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Heres a link for some regular weaver style bases for the Mato.
<br>http://www.reliablehost.com/bsquare/beretta.html
<br> Also does anyone know if the leupold QD bases will work with weaver style rings or only with the leupold QD rings?
<br>
<br>Good shooting, Weagle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does the 12 months same as cash work ? Is it a layaway or like a loan ?

[Linked Image from ]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.