Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Arthur designed a fine jump shooting rifle in his 99 family. They just feel right in the hand. After last week, I was glad to be carrying a 99 again.

Opening day of deer season today. I took the Mauser 30/06 from last week, a Savage 110 243 that's a real slim little rifle, and the 99 .284. Figured I'd see how I felt about which rifle to carry after getting up there and spending a night in the mountains. Us hunters are quirky that way aren't we? smile

Up early, got a great photo of the predawn from way out the ridge.

[Linked Image]

Took a few more so you guys could see I'm hunting a big burned off series of canyons and ridges. Huge country. It's growing up in a bush that produces acorns that deer and bear just love. They're nearly gone for the season so the critters have really disbursed.

[Linked Image]

I walked about 2 miles completely circling this mountaintop. You can really appreciate carrying a light 99 in the steep country. The round bottom receiver makes it easy to carry in one hand and use as a counterbalance to keep from falling into the abyss.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And when the time comes, you can even hit what you shoot at with one! grin Found this guy in his bed almost all the way around the mountain and nearly back to the quad, 125 yards above the gravel two track. He busted cover and the 99 got him twice, once lengthwise and once again when he stopped but was still standing, so he got another one.
The 145 gr Speer went stem to stern and didn't stop. The shoulder shot broke alot of bone, so the bullet came apart.

The 284 is an impressive cartridge in a 99. Not your grandma's Oldsmobile that's for sure. It's hard to imagine improving on a .284 in a Savage 99 for hunting out west. Powerful and flat shooting in a short action lever gun (w/o a hammer) and set up for a scope. I really love a 99.

[Linked Image]

This was an small to average blacktail.

[img]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/Weather223/032_zps6dd50113.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/04/14.

LOL
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats sir. Nice gun, deer and pics.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Arthur designed a fine jump shooting rifle in his 99 family. They just feel right in the hand. After last week, I was glad to be carrying a 99 again.

Opening day of deer season today. I took the Mauser 30/06 from last week, a Savage 110 243 that's a real slim little rifle, and the 99 .284. Figured I'd see how I felt about which rifle to carry after getting up there and spending a night in the mountains. Us hunters are quirky that way aren't we? smile

Up early, got a great photo of the predawn from way out the ridge.

[Linked Image]

Took a few more so you guys could see I'm hunting a big burned off series of canyons and ridges. Huge country. It's growing up in a bush that produces acorns that deer and bear just love. They're nearly gone for the season so the critters have really disbursed.

[Linked Image]

I walked about 2 miles completely circling this mountaintop. You can really appreciate carrying a light 99 in the steep country. The round bottom receiver makes it easy to carry in one hand and use as a counterbalance to keep from falling into the abyss.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And when the time comes, you can even hit what you shoot at with one! grin Found this guy in his bed almost all the way around the mountain and nearly back to the quad, 125 yards above the gravel two track. He busted cover and the 99 got him twice, once lengthwise and once again when he stopped but was still standing, so he got another one.
The 145 gr Speer went stem to stern and didn't stop. The shoulder shot broke alot of bone, so the bullet came apart.

The 284 is an impressive cartridge in a 99. Not your grandma's Oldsmobile that's for sure. It's hard to imagine improving on a .284 in a Savage 99 for hunting out west. Powerful and flat shooting in a short action lever gun (w/o a hammer) and set up for a scope. I really love a 99.

[Linked Image]

This was an small to average blacktail.

[img]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/Weather223/032_zps6dd50113.jpg[/img]

After hunting only ONE time in Oregon with my nephew I can REALLY appreciate it when you say ABYSS............I have never seen such country. You're lucky to live there. Wonderful story, pictures, AND nice buck. GREAT shot as well. Thanks for bringing us along.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pictures Roy. Congrats!

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Roy, what part of the USA is this?
Beautiul.
Bob

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think I might be jealous.., Thanks for sharing Roy!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures. Beautiful country and nice looking buck.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful pictures, congrats on the great hunt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's better.. Nice deer Roy..
what do you have sitting on top of ur 284 ? is that a leupold ?
what's ur ammo recipe ?

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good morning. Chappy, it's your B-Day, have a good one!
Paul, yes that's a Leupold 2.5-8. Ammo recipe H4831SC 57 grains, 145 Speer BTSP (fits wonderfully in a Savage 99 action and has a published B.C. of .502!).

The Savage 99 in a 284 is about the best of all worlds for this type of hunting. I tried most of the other cartridges available in a 99 and alot of other rifles and cartridge combos. Savage got it right with the combination of available bullet weight, power, trajectory, barrel weight, ease of carry, accuracy, and general shootability.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1899guy
Roy, what part of the USA is this?
Beautiul.
Bob

Bob, this is southern Oregon very near the California border Thankfully it's far enough away that you can't smell the rotten. What makes this area unique is that we had a 500,000 acre fire come thru here about 10 years ago and open it up. Otherwise, there's brush everywhere. I hunt both, but this year I wanted to stretch my legs. This country will flat wear you out. You need to take along plenty of food and water when the weathers's warm. When it's raining, you're sweating inside your raingear. Most guys never leave their vehicle.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffG

Fellow Tinkerbell Club member, come on out, I'd love to meet you and take you hunting sometime. grin

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey I got that stuff. I'll give that recipe a try in my rifle

thanks Roy

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Paul, standard disclaimer applies, PLEASE WORK UP TO THAT LOAD FROM BELOW!! It's a wonderful shooter in MY rifle, yours maybe not! Please be careful!!!

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! Great story and pics.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
always glad to see and hear about a "savage 99" doing what they do best...excellent narrative w/pics, thks for sharing smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Beautiful country in southern Oregon... didn't realize it was that "purdy".

"Congrats" on a decent buck and some good shots with a fine rifle/cartridge combo. That short, fat .284 cartridge case gives your rifle about the same power and range as a .280 Remington (a .30/06 case necked down to .284"/7mm)... one of the best combinations of enough bullet weight and a high muzzle velocity for any new world, non-dangerous game ... a great combo in a quick handling Model 99.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Fellow Tinkerbell Club member, come on out, I'd love to meet you and take you hunting sometime. grin

When's the wolverine season?! How much are non-resident tags? How many miles a day at elevation (..I might need to train a little)? And whatya like to drink? (..for celebrations after the hunt of course). I wanna come just to stretch the 270 Redding out to 800yds!!

Careful Roy, I'm gonna take you up on this one! Your pictures sold me!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been there, met Roy, and love the country. Thanks for reminding me again how beautiful it is Roy.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

When's the wolverine season?! How much are non-resident tags? How many miles a day at elevation (..I might need to train a little)? And whatya like to drink? (..for celebrations after the hunt of course). I wanna come just to stretch the 270 Redding out to 800yds!!

Careful Roy, I'm gonna take you up on this one! Your pictures sold me!

Bear season is Aug 1 to Dec 31 in my area. Peak is mid Sept. Cost?
No need to hunt at elevation but it's cooler and WAAAAAAY more funner. grin Plenty of bears down low too, including the Volkswagen Bear. For libations you can surprise me. grin

We'll make that 270 sing.

Savage only hunt regulations apply. grin

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,501
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.