Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, I have a RCBS FL sizing die for my .270 wsm. Which is a Model 7. I bought some 1x brass that I planned to resize and use. My problem is I run the brass through the die and it won't chamber. I've screwed the die past the top of the ram stroke. I've even tried using a feeler gauge between the brass and the shell holder to set the brass up higher (all the way to .017). Still nothing. So I used a hornady gauge to measure one of the fired cases (NOT from my gun) at the shoulder datum. Then I measured one of the cases that I ran through my die and there is no difference. In fact the shells that I ran further into the die (VIA the methods above) are in fact longer at the shoulder datum.

IMO the die is resizing the brass and squeezing it at the bottom causing the OAL at the shoulder datum to actually be longer than a fired case.

My problem and my question: With my RCBS FL die I cannot "bump" the shoulder back. Shouldn't I be able to do that? Shouldn't the die be to a small enough tolerance that it would resize to sammi spec? Is this something RCBS should take care of. IMO I have a "faulty" die. Even if the brass was fired in my gun, it might resize it enough to chamber but after some firings as the OAL at the shoulder grows, eventually I won't be able to chamber a round because it won't bump the shoulder. Also I won't to bump the shoulder at every sizing to achieve repeatable sizing...

Anyone else run into this? Opinions? Im a novice reloader so I need all the help I can get...
Thanks

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If the die meets the shell holder at the top of the ram stroke and it still wont chamber then the die is long or the shell holder is out of dimensions. Dies are made to chamber fired rounds in any SAAMI chamber from any rifle manufacturer.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.
I'm leaning toward the die because as it moves further into the die, via feeler gauge placed between the shell holder and case, the OAL at the shoulder datum gets longer. So my thought is that the case is never hitting the shoulder within the die body...
I hope RCBS takes care of me...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too had similar 270 WSM problems but with a Redding die. The Redding tech people had me turn the die in deeper so the shellholder was contacting the die as it cammed past TDC. My problem was that the lower part of the case was not being resized enough. After making the change I have had no further problems.

405wcf

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What shell holder are you using ?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My RCBS 270WSM dies are similar, but going through my #5 shell holders I was able to find one that would allow enough bump to chamber. I'd just send them back, take a touch off the die or shell holder, or buy some of the Redding shell holders.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is possible you have a short chamber and a long die, I have a few rifles with the same issue. I buy a few shell holders and use the shim method as you have, if this works, I machine that amount off the top of the shellholder and keep it with that die set.
I have come across WSM cases not sizing enough near the web, this causes the xases to grow much longer in the head to shoulder length.
How much have you adjusted the die past the top of the stroke?
You may need to cam over quite a bit to size the grass enough. If there is a gap between the shell holder and die when sizing a case at the top of the stroke, then true FL sizing is not happening, you need to adjust further down.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.
cool

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I believe that a #43 shellholder is the correct one for the 270 WSM.
What were your numbers on a fired case when using the Hornady OAL headspace gauge?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Throw the feeler guage back in the box and screw the die down until you have a FIRM over center on the ram upstroke. The brass you have was not fired in your rifle and must be Full length resized evedently. You will know when shoulder is contacted as you will probably start getting lube dents in the shoulder unless your dies have been recently cleaned. Muddy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Check the shell holder as the slightly rebated rim can hold the case above the bottom of the shell holder.

I would send: the die, shell holder, 3 fired rounds and a chamber cast to RCBS. They will solve the issue pronto and maybe even at no charge. You will end up with almost a custom die. But if the chamber is off on your rifle it would be better to setback and re-cut the chamber instead of altering the dies.

Some very few WSM's had out of round chambers from the barrel getting screwed on too tight. The original rifle may have been one of these check concentricity.

Last edited by Tejano; 10/06/14.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not willing to send all that to RCBS. This is a pretty standard rifle, if it was a custom cut chamber maybe.

I have gone a couple turns past contact on the shell holder with no better results.

I've run the feeler gauge up to .017". This should have told be if I could take some off the bottom of the die and specifically how much to achieve results. How much might a person take off the die? .017" was the largest shim I could get under the case head.

Using a #43 shellholder.

LNL gauge measures 1.774 of a 1x fired case (base to datum)
1x fired ran through the die (set 1 turn passed top of stroke) 1.777

T
T
I had the same problem with a 257WSM that I built. I used Redding 270WSM Type-S Bushing dies and necked down 270WSM brass. I ended up grinding down the top of a shellholder and it worked.

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Here are some measurements for comparison:
New Rem brass - 1.752"
Once Fired (my rifle obviously) - 1.758"
Resized for my chamber - 1.754"

I'm on my 8th loading with this brass using full power loads. This is some tough brass.

It sounds like your brass was fired in a rifle with a long chamber or excessive headspace. I don't know what the SAAMI specs are so perhaps someone can chime in here.

I think that your expander ball is dragging also which is why your resized datum measurement is longer than your once fired measurement. You may try lightly lubing the inside case neck prior to resizing and see what happens here.

You said that you went a couple of turns past shell holder contact with no better results. At that deep of an adjustment I wouldn't think you could even cam over the press. Try backing out the die then screwing it down to just make shellholder contact with the ram in the fully up position. Set the lock ring there and give it another shot.

I wouldn't go grinding anything off of the die.

Have you ever used this die before? Is it a new die or did you pick it up used? I would try some new brass and see what your results are. Do you have any brass that has been fired from your rifle?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Now I recall what worked for me. The standard magnum #5 I think shell holder didn't work. I found instructions on champfering it to fit WSMs but didn't want to ruin the holder. Went to get another and Lee had just produced the WSM shell holders so I got one. Turned out to be shorter in height than the RCBS and worked fine.

Might be an easy fix for you too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wsm brass can be a bitch to work with, a $35 hornady head space bushing kit should be a "must" for anyone wanting to reload for it. And a ground top shellholder should also be standard equipment. Knowledge on annealing finishes a tight 3rd place! Don't ask me how I know these things!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What kind of press are you using?Some presses will not cam over.Had the same problem till I switched presses.

Lakeland,Fl.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd buy some new brass.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did you measure the length of the cases to see if they need trimming?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One thing about grinding off the top of the shellholder, shellholders are a whole lot cheaper than dies. You can grind the one you have on hand and know real quick if it helps, ( I'm betting it will). Last time I bought one they were just a few bucks. Also as far as getting new brass is concerned, good luck. I just bought 50 once fired from a fellow Fire member, haven't yet sized any but if I have trouble the shellholder trick will be the first thing I will try.

Last edited by 270WSMANIC; 10/07/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 270WSMANIC
One thing about grinding off the top of the shellholder, shellholders are a whole lot cheaper than dies. You can grind the one you have on hand and know real quick if it helps, ( I'm betting it will). Last time I bought one they were just a few bucks. Also as far as getting new brass is concerned, good luck. I just bought 50 once fired from a fellow Fire member, haven't yet sized any but if I have trouble the shellholder trick will be the first thing I will try.

Make sure you mark that shellholder so you don't run into an excessive headspace issue if that shellholder will work in any other caliber.

To the OP: Send 5 once fired cases from YOUR rifle with the shellholder and dies to RCBS and they will fix it free no questions asked. You will then have a die that fits YOUR chamber and your brass will last a long time.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.