Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RJM
All Glocks have an inherent design defect...they will fire out of battery. And when they do the slide comes back faster than the bullet can get out the barrel and the pressure will seek the path of least resistance...the unsupported part of the case web.

I have been present when two Glock 19s went KaBoom...one was with my reloads which were being fired in a coworkers gun and the other was Winchester 115 white box. My personal 9mm/34 had a KaBoom with a friends reloads. None of these resulted in any damage to the gun.

A friend's .45/20 wasn't so lucky in that it went to pieces while I was looking at the gun being fired. This was with 230 FMJ reloads. Glock rebuilt his gun...no charge. Another students 23 blew with factory .40s right in front of me. As he lived in Massachusetts where Glocks are banned from sale Glock has his gun but because the frame had to be replaced they can't return the gun to him as technically it is a different gun. That was in late 2012 and last I heard he still didn't have the gun back...and that was his only gun. He borrowed my 19 for followup classes.

One of my co-instructors had his 23/.40 blow on a reload. Glock put it all back together no questions asked...

It is why I stay with 1911s...they may not be Perfect(ion), but they also don't claim to be....

Bob
tell us more about this "bad" design ... ?

a clean and properly maintained gun is a happy gun , those that brag well my ****** pistol has 10,0000 or more rounds with out cleaning is a moron .

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't clean my 9mm glocks too often if at all, the local gun range never cleans their G19's and G17's, after thousands of rounds they just keep shooting! This means that anal obsessive people that clean their guns too often are morons. The wonders of the experts on the interwebbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As the Glock Jihad is fond of saying, "Goes BANG every time!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
why the Glock .40 always has been and always will be a bad idea.

Yeah, just ignore the millions that have never failed, and pretend other brands never fail, and you're correct

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unclad lead bullets?

Last edited by ConradCA; 10/10/14.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glocks are not prone to firing out of battery unless excessive guck is built up in striker channel or the safety button that's goes up and allows striker to mover forward , but yea cleaning after each use is a waste of time

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Reloading is a great hobby. But no firearm manufacturer will honor a warranty of a damaged weapon that has been fired with hand loaded ammo. Period...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned a fired several Glocks in mostly 40 calibers but others as well. I shot steel and pin matches with Glocks also without any issue using both factory and reloaded ammunition. My buddy purchased a 357 Sig and needed ammunition. I gave him some of my 40 brass to size to 357 sig. He loaded those rounds "HOT" and fired unknown amount of rounds over the years without issue. I'm pretty happy with Glock.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That used to be a fairly common thing around here. The local cop shop/Glockpushers also had a Fiocchi distributorship (Kiesler's Police Supply in Jeffersonville IN) and the combination of Fiocchi ammo and Glock .40s was apparently not a good one, as Fiocchi .40 brass was very thin in the web.
A shooting buddy of mine had about four Kabooms over the course of his fondness for the .40, dunno if he ever gave up on it, as I quit IPSC shooting about that time.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's unfortunate to see, but it does happen from time to time. I've had two case head separations before, one in an XDm .40 and one in a Glock 20, both just shot the mag out the bottom with no damage to the gun, only slight damage to my pride but it was my fault for using older brass.

I did have a Ruger .45 Colt blow up though, bent the top strap and sent two pieces of the cylinder into the side of my house, but otherwise not a scratch...again my fault.

But I've shot a lot of HOT .40's (and .45 ACP and SUPER) through Glocks with never a problem. All guns blow up, it's too bad many think the .40 cal Glocks have some sort of stigma to them.

Glocks and Single Actions!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 45BBH
All guns blow up, it's too bad many think the .40 cal Glocks have some sort of stigma to them.

I think it's just because Glocks are so fugly there's really no justification for posting a picture of one unless it's blown up.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't clean my 9mm glocks too often if at all, the local gun range never cleans their G19's and G17's, after thousands of rounds they just keep shooting! This means that anal obsessive people that clean their guns too often are morons. The wonders of the experts on the interwebbs.

Yeah!! And people who wipe their butt after every dump are morons too!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Blow a case head in a steel gun, they frequently survive.
No, they usually don't fare well. The gas goes down the magazine and expands the magazine and bulges the magazine well, pretty much wrecking the frame.

I blew a 10mm and it was fine.

Travis
OUCH!!

I've looked at a few Supers that were go-fast guns that had bulged grip frames. But God only knows what the pressure was.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have two Glocks on hand at the moment. My trusty daily carry 23 and a fairly new 20. I can't get either one to fire even the slightest bit out of battery. I did put a Lone Wolf barrel in the 20 because it was putting smileys in my brass with the load I wanted to shoot. 9.4 grains of Longshot with 180 XTP's at 1325 fps. Now that thing is awesome. Off a good two point rest when I'm having a good eye day I can keep all 15 on a pie plate at 100 yards.

My 40 load works great in my factory 23 barrel. 8.5 grains of Longshot to push 155XTP at 1266 fps. With that load I can load the brass 20 times before I quit the test. Now I just run my brass till I can't find them. During testing I went up to 1375 fps but the slide velocity was so high it wouldn't feed reliably and I started seeing smileys about 1 in 5 shots. That was too much. I could have played with stiffer springs but I wanted it to run in any gun. I backed down till reliability was 100 percent. I help lots of friends that carry Glock 40's run this same load.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,686
Posts18,513,509
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.