-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I put this here because of the guys that will see it. Hunters and mountain men.

I would like a good costume tune job on my 329PD S&W. The barrel is over twisted slightly and I would like the trigger smoothed up for mountain protection use. It has a great trigger to start with but smooth is nice.

I want the cylinder timed and matched and I will Ceracote it.

Any help from the faithful here would be appreciated. You are the best data source of guys I can think of.

I have carried this gun for some time and really want to see it special - for me. It deserves it and so do I ...........

Thanks in advance.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
elkhunter,

excellent riflesmith and overall gunsmith, I've never had him do any of my revolver work as I gave up on him almost 25 years ago as he was too busy... month plus wait then. Not sure what it is now, he's been featured in a couple of national magazine articles so it could be worse. Kevin Wyatt out of medford oregon.

I've had Val Albert (A&B traders, also in medford) do a trigger job on a S&W for me, was happy with the work. Do my own now... as it is not rocket science. You are forewarned... he has at least twice the energy of the average person... 'jumping jack flash' will seem down right groggy compared to him.

Unless your 329 is having some issue... it should be timed fine, if it isn't I would give S&W a call and have them handle it under warranty.

Keep in mind that if you shoot it a lot, it will most likely be making a trip back home to S&W for a fix. So keep all the original parts to re-install prior to shipping it back or S&W will dump them and put in factory parts (springs, etc.).

jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kevin and Val are good smiths and I'll throw in Ed Boening of

Boening's Custom Guns, to add.

Ed, is a first rate pistol smith IMO.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me, I would send it to Smith for the master revolver action package. When I had mine there for warranty work, I asked them to do the package. They told me they cannot chamfer the Ti cylinder, so I decided to get the gun back sans package. They turn around their work quickly and retain full factory warranty.

Also, as you are probably aware, it has a two piece barrel and you are calling the barrel is really the shroud. IIRC, the shroud simply indexes into the frame with a tab and is not screwed in or out like a traditional S&W barrel. The inner barrel screws in and clamps the shroud on. It takes a special tool with reverse rifling imprints to unscrew the barrel. Most gunsmiths will not have one and it may be a factory only tool. It it is truly clocked enough that you notice it, it may be time to send it back to Smith, as my guess is something is wrong with the shroud or barrel.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow great advice - who new. It is sounding like it is going to S&W. After reading K1500's advice it just sounds like the right place to be.

Thanks to all of the local boys for jumping in. I will use your advice at some time in the future. I have met Kevin Wyatt before and he is top shelf. Perhaps he can do my re-barrel on my rifle.

But first things first - I am on the phone with Smith & Wesson.

I will post some pics when its done.

Good luck elk hunting everyone.........

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 45 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,917
Posts18,518,767
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.