Print Thread
Hop To
Salish Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello,
<br>
<br>My name is Cliff and I'm writing from Seattle. About a year ago I used to frequent the "Savage 99 board", which had been linked to savage99.com. I lost touch with that board and it appears to no longer be in existence. Is this forum the continuation of that board? I was just enough of a lurker that I never really got used to peoples handles, names, etc.
<br>If it is, I'm glad to be back. I hunt with a Model 99EG in .250-3000, that I bought back in 1973 from Floyds Sporting Goods, in north Seattle. Hunting season is coming up and the old rifle will be taken out of the safe pretty soon and I'll make a trip to the range.
<br>
<br>I am interested in topping my rifle with a period scope from it's era (1950-52) and I would be interested in hearing what other 99 owners think would be a good choice. I'm thinking a very simple El Paso Weaver 2.5+. The 99 is the most gracefull rifle ever made and I want the scope to be almost unnoticeable on the rifle, which is why I'm leaning towards a smaller, lower powered scope with a non-belled front. I really love the Stith/Alaskan scope combo, and even though my rifle has already been drilled & tapped I would still consider this scope and mount just because of it's look and functionality on the rifle. I sometimes think, though, that a stith mount and smaller Alaskan scope may be more historically correct on an older 99 (prior to the EG).
<br>Anyway, I would be curious to hear what you other 99 owners think about this.
<br>
<br>It's nice to be back....
<br>
<br>Cliff
<br>Seattle, WA

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Cliff:
<br>
<br>I suspect you have found your way home. Good for you. One of my favorite 99s is an EG in 250-3000 like the one you have. Mine has a Stith mount with a Lyman 2 1/5 and I like it a lot. Since yours has already been d & ted I think an early Weaver in 2 1/2 or 3X would be a great combo. Or an early Lyman would be great also. Can't miss with either.
<br>
<br>Welcome back.
<br>
<br>Elwood

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cliff,
<br>
<br>If you' re referring to the GunandKnife Board...you're back home. A few of us were able to regroup and keep things going. The is actually the second board since G&K. Rick Bin set us up a site and Ken at Savage99.com posted our new address. We lost some originals and gained some new ones. We're still around doing what we like to do. The new board has worked its way up to number 4 in the number of postings on the "24". Glad you found us again. As for scopes, I like the Weaver K2.5 60-B's. The 60-B was the first of the centered recitals. There are a lot of the Weavers available and you can still have them rebuild. Lyman's from that period are fine also. Since your rifle is D&T'ed, I would not use the Stith mounts because of the expense.
<br>
<br>Rick....
<br>

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salish,
<br>
<br>I've got 4 Weaver K3s with standard cross hairs so I could probably be talked out of one if you're looking. The K3s look just like the K2.5s . The only difference is that they're 3X instead of 2.5X.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Salish Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Elwood & Rick. Yes, I'm glad I found the board again and I hope I find the same good natured, well mannered people like before. That seems to be in short supply these days on some boards. I think that's why I liked it - less flaming than other boards, and incredibly helpful advice.
<br>
<br>I think you guys are probably right about the scopes. Several years ago, my dad had my Model 99 d&t'd and topped with a humungous Tasco Golden Antler 3x9 variable. I would have rather not had the receiver d&t'd, but oh well. With that particular scope, it was, and is, hideous, but he did it out of love for me and since he passed away back in 95', that's why it's taken me so long to replace it. But now it's time. Anyway, good to be back and I look forward to learning more about 99's and hopefully, I'll be able to offer some insight for others, too.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>Cliff

IC B2

Salish Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Skidrow,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the offer. I surely might be interested. I'm currently tracking a couple of El Paso Weaver 2.5's on the internet, but a 3x might actually be better. If it was up to me I would just use a receiver sight and keep those gracefull lines flowing, but my aging eyes need the magnification. I was thinking a 2.5 would fit the bill, but a 3x might provide a little more insurance for longer shots at mule deer in eastern Washington.
<br>
<br>If you care to leave me your email I'll drop you a line, or, you can contact me at [email]salishfoxinternet.com.[/email]
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>Cliff
<br>Seattle
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Skidrow
<br>
<br>I just read your offer on the K3 scope and got to thinking that I inherited an old 303 takedown (1923 era) that has been D&T'd. My mother had an awful looking Bushnell Scope Chief put on for my dad. I sure would like to replace that scope with a Weaver type scope like what you have. I was wondering what it would take to get one from you. If you are interested you can e-mail me direct at [email]dliddickthegrid.net.[/email] Thanks for listening. Dave

The toughest thing about doing nothing is knowing when you are finished?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I put a Pentax (Burris made) 1.5 - 5 X 1" (non-belled) scope on my E model. Works great, looks good. I also used a Burris one piece mount, so I don't have the cleaner lines. But you could use a two piece Weaver type. Look around for some good looking rings (I have used and liked the Millet windage adjustables, as well as the Burris Signature series).

R
R
Mine has a leupold 4x, dosent look quite as good as an old weaver on the 99 but its not too bad.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.