Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BillyB Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I recently had a Savage Springfield 187 follow me home. Can anyone tell me what scope mounts will fit the grooves in the reciever? Does anyone know the range of serial numbers and the years of mfg? The value of the gun is how much I paid for it. How do I lock the bolt open? Is this the one I read about where you don't want to load it with the bolt open? Any other points to watch out for would be appreciated.

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have one of these rifles. Although i dont know the dates of manufacture, they were made for many years. They were modified slightly throughout there years of production. Mine is a "h" model. My brother in law has a "j" model. His differs in that the safety is on the bolt sleeve and the extractors are seperate on the bolt as apposed to mine which has a spring steel extractor collar. There have been problems reported on different boards regarding jamming and doubling but mine works perfectly. One idiosyncrancy of this model is that when you fire a round the bolt will not close until you release the trigger. Why it was designed this way i have no idea. Your rifle should shoot all brands of >22 high speed ammo including shorts. Partss are available from numrichs. The grooves on the reciever should accept standard .22 tipoff rings but the grooves on mine seem to be a trifle wider than on some other .22,s.To klock the bolt open you pull back on the bolt and push in on the bolt handle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You can also use the gun as a manual loader/shooter by pushing the cocking piece to the left, locking it closed. After firing pull the knob to the right and cycle by hand. They pick up a lot of gunk from powder. They were labeled Savage, Springfield and Stevens in their manufacturing time. Interesting guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 19 invisible), 14,543 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,988
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.