Print Thread
Hop To
B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi guys ,I'm in need of a one piece base for a mid 50's F in 300.The rifle came with a Pacmayer tip off base with integral rings. With all the hardware tight it has more movement than a pole dancer. I tried Weaver two piece monuts but they seem to be misaligned. The scope looks left and the rifle is pointing to the right. Any one have a base they're willing to part with ?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
99F's are factory D&T'd. The Weaver rings should work unless there is something wrong with them.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Odd. We've seen some new Weaver bases that were screwed up for height adjustment, but not many with other problems.

Leupold makes new 1-piece bases that fit any factory d&t 99. Might look online to see what you get one of those for.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GOT a LEUPOLD and REDFIELD 1 Piece Base.
If Interested Shoot Me a P.M.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
P.M. sent.

IC B2

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I mounted a Leupold 2.5 Ulralight using Leupold aluminum rings. I can see the front sight and a few inches of barrel through the scope. With the rifle zeroed at 100 yards the barrel is pointing noticeably to the right. I had to use most of the windage to get it zeroed. I put the Pacmayer back on and there's a lot of movement in the hinge. There are set screws and they are tight.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsteve
I mounted a Leupold 2.5 Ulralight using Leupold aluminum rings. I can see the front sight and a few inches of barrel through the scope. With the rifle zeroed at 100 yards the barrel is pointing noticeably to the right. I had to use most of the windage to get it zeroed. I put the Pacmayer back on and there's a lot of movement in the hinge. There are set screws and they are tight.

With low power scopes 9 times out of 10 you WILL see part of the barrel and the front sight. Looking through the scope, the barrel might look out of alignment. Only way to know is either bore sight it or shoot it at 25 yards or less.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsteve
P.M. sent.

P.M. Replied

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
As LBK said about low power scopes, make sure the error you see isn't optical. The image of the barrel in the scope will shift when you move your head. A factory drilled rifle should not be a problem when fitting any number of bases, unless your 99F is a fluke or you are using newly made Chinese Weaver bases.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

B
bsteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm used to seeing the the front sight through the scope , I have low power scopes on most of my rifles. None of them are anywhere near out of line as the 99. With the Pachmayer mount the scope and front sight were lined up pretty closely. The rings might be Chinese, I bought them last year. I'm going to try the Weaver bases with a set of Weaver rings to see how that works.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Any domestic made new or old stock production base and rings should work on a factory drilled 99. NOS Weavers should set you right up. Best of luck and be sure to report back on your results.

PS - I have also heard people complain about poor quality Chinese made Redfield bases. I'm not sure how that all fits in with Leupold's use of the Redfield brand.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG

PS - I have also heard people complain about poor quality Chinese made everything

Fixed it.

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (257 roberts, 1234, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,576
Posts18,532,087
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.