Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Travis when you say that's how your family handles the situation does that mean your entire family as a whole? Problem for us is there's never any unity.

We have a big family and whenever one of the kids or grand kids get into trouble my folks always act as RH pointed out. And if I or my siblings walk away it simply becomes more of a burden for my parents who will NEVER walk away nor judge and pass blame. It's a real struggle for us sometimes.

I know right you're at swag and it's one of my biggest struggles in life. Not sure what these kids are going to do when my folks pass on.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over 100 fatal ODs this year where I used to live in Pa.

Same with the next county over.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wonder why folks start; it's not like they don't know what is going to happen. Very irresponsible and calous toward their own families.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by byc
Travis when you say that's how your family handles the situation does that mean your entire family as a whole?

Yes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I need to come live with y'all then. grin

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I wonder why folks start; it's not like they don't know what is going to happen. Very irresponsible and calous toward their own families.

Because they're selfish and don't give a fugg about other people.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by byc
I need to come live with y'all then. grin

Keep a close eye on your wallet.

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Because they're selfish and don't give a fugg about other people.

Travis

Yep, and this isn't exclusive to a heroin addiction.. IMO it is the driving factor in most addictions

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by swag
I wish it were that easy deflave but my parent's took the wrong approach, IMO.

You would think 3 months at Cook County would have done something...

R_H, I hope he finds God in Prison because it seems that's the only way he is going to be saved.

Matt

I'm not saying it's easy. But it is the only choice a family has.

Your brother's decisions have impacted his life. The only way to protect yourselves from his decisions is to cut him out completely. Otherwise the rest of your family will just get hurt more.

And I'm also not really giving advice. I'm just stating that is how my family handles family.

Travis
^
most junkies will always be junkies, they get clean for awhile but always go back.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Enabling is a worse addiction that the drug.

As long as people keep propping up an addict they will never get help, I'd say telling them to stay the fugg away until they really want help, and then actually being there for them when they come back asking for help is the best way to deal.

It is obviously extremely hard for some parents or family members to let their child go, but that is how it has to be.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Enabling is a worse addiction that the drug.

Exactly!! But unless you've actually been in the situation it's hard to know what the parents will do. Except in the case of mine, which I've already spelled out. And drugs don't even have to be involved. They're just flat out enablers and it drive me nuts. I love them to death but man I literally have to bite my tongue sometimes.

And swag is spot on with the expense to the parents. The money doesn't matter until they run out. UGH!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Calvin
Problem is that lots of folks get hooked on the prescription variety, and then move to cheaper heroin when the prescription source dries up.

Heaven forbid they stop taking the narcotic.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem is that lots of folks get hooked on the prescription variety, and then move to cheaper heroin when the prescription source dries up.

Heaven forbid they stop taking the narcotic.

Travis

like you said, they are selfish

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tough to cut your little girl loose and let her hit rock bottom given what happens to pretty girls with addictions. Addiction is just brutal on young women, as there is always some loser guy willing to take advantage of them and their addiction.

When it gets to the point where a person is faced with a decision of cutting loose a kid with a drug problem, that kid has probably already had a good look at where they're gonna end up. Doesn't matter if it's a boy or girl. There's a bunch of sick bastards out there that are willing to take advantage of either one.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I watched my grandmother enable 3 of my dads siblings, it is disgusting. She now has dementia and cant remember if she took a shower on any given day. One of the kids she enabled got her to put him on the checking accounts and stole around 260k from her over the period of 2 1/2 years, before my dad and his other siblings could get power of attorney and stop it.

That POS would be better off dead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travis is also right on cutting them off, its one of the few things that actually got through to my daughter, the fact she would get zero help from us

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have no use for anyone that uses drugs.

Life is hard enough to get through when you're sober. I hate to think how bad I would have messed things up if I'd been a drunk or a druggie.

I have alcoholics on both side of my family for at least two generations. I will have a drink occasionally but I drink very little. Drugs are something I avoid if at all possible and I am talking prescription drugs. Illegal drugs are not even an option in my life.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Druggies are only going to get off it when they decide they want to get off of it.

Doesn't matter how much you enable them or point them the right direction.

Don't have any sympathy for them, not a lot for the folks who enable them. It's the kids that are involved that get all my sympathy.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Pretty sad when it gets to the point where a person's family is actually relieved when he goes to prison.
I whole-heartedly agree with you on this.

Hopefully the judge sentenced him to some kind of treatment program as a part of his sentence.
Unfortunately, if he's not the one to choose treatment, it will fail. Period. He has to be the one that wants it more than the drugs before treatment will work.

There are recovering and recovered addicts on here who can better tell you the depths that your brother needs to get to before he will accept treatment.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Druggies are only going to get off it when they decide they want to get off of it.

Doesn't matter how much you enable them or point them the right direction.

Don't have any sympathy for them, not a lot for the folks who enable them. It's the kids that are involved that get all my sympathy.

I agree 100%. In this case he was offered a ride in one of the most successful treatment centers in the country. He walked out because some man in the shower exposed himself. BS, he walked out because he had no desire to get off heroin.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,558
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.