Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Having lived in the mid west for many years, I had never hunted deer. My job transferred me to the state of Utah. Upon moving to Utah, a co-worker convinced me to try mule deer hunting so I applied for a tag (which was kind of strange that not everyone could go hunting) and got one. Since I didn't have a rifle, I went to a large retail outdoor store, and asking the opinion of the person behind the counter, I purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Magnum. The rifle sat for many months until I was told by the same co-worker that I needed to put a scope on the rifle. Asking the opinion of another person behind a retail store counter, I purchased a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 x 14 scope. I went to a different retail store and asked what ammunition I should use for hunting mule deer. The person behind this counter suggested Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Accubond. After going to a range, I sighted the rifle the best I could and after going hunting, hiking up and down mountains for three days and hardly seeing a deer, the season was over. My question (and sorry this is taking so long) is what kind of set up as far as rifle, scope and ammo do I have? For all I know, it could the greatest combination or it could be the worst. I really don't have any idea. Any help would be great. Thank you.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Your rig is fine. Buy some great binoculars and learn to glass carefully, very carefully, if you haven't already.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glass covers a lot more ground than hiking. Your rifle setup sounds fine if it shoots decent. Glass, glass and then glass some more..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, the rifle is probably fine, but as you discovered, the hunt is called hunt for a reason. Work on the walking around in the wilds and observe as much game as you can, while not hunting. Practice with your rifle, and use the same ammunition ALL THE TIME! Use a shooting aid to help steady yourself, such as shooting sticks. Practice stalking game in the off season, and watch their reaction to your presence. Get a good quality pair of binoculars, and learn to search for game with them. Plan ahead how you will cool your game and transport it before spoiling. Know the game laws regarding proof of sex attached to the meat and transport.

AND, find someone knowledgeable to hunt with. They will be an invaluable aid before, during, and after the hunt and kill. Welcome to the brotherhood!

LOL
J
OP Offline
J
I had a pair of bushnell binoculars which were not very good but even if I had a pair of great ones, I still wonder if a deer were standing 100 yard from me if I would see it. I am not very familiar about how to spot a deer. I guess it comes with practice. If you were to suggest some binoculars (and I know the sky is the limit, but my wallet isn't) what kind would you think would be adequate to give a good chance of seeing the deer?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks
I I guess it comes with practice. If you were to suggest some binoculars (and I know the sky is the limit, but my wallet isn't) what kind would you think would be adequate to give a good chance of seeing the deer?

Exactly, practice. IMO, and this could be a scheit storm, but Vortex bang for buck, idk.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And ideally, a decent spotting scope. If you can.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
OP Offline
J
A spotting scope has a greater magnification than binoculars, correct? And so when you find the deer with your binoculars, you then use the spotting scope to identify what the deer are? Sorry if this sounds so elementary. Hunting in mountains for deer is very new to me.

J
OP Offline
J
Would I be able to purchase a good pair of binoculars and a good spotting scope for under $1000 or do I need to spend more? What ever I can get without breaking the bank.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Well, the rifle is probably fine, but as you discovered, the hunt is called hunt for a reason. Work on the walking around in the wilds and observe as much game as you can, while not hunting. Practice with your rifle, and use the same ammunition ALL THE TIME! Use a shooting aid to help steady yourself, such as shooting sticks. Practice stalking game in the off season, and watch their reaction to your presence. Get a good quality pair of binoculars, and learn to search for game with them. Plan ahead how you will cool your game and transport it before spoiling. Know the game laws regarding proof of sex attached to the meat and transport.

AND, find someone knowledgeable to hunt with. They will be an invaluable aid before, during, and after the hunt and kill. Welcome to the brotherhood!

Welcome from here as well! Roy (Fireball) nails it here. Yes, your rig is just fine. Probably one of the better set ups.

As to how to find deer, look for out of place colors (Grey where everything else is green or yellow or whatever. Look for lines that are out of place. A horizontal line where there are there are typically only vertical line like tree trunks or grass. Also keep an eye out for a black V showing in grass or bushes which is the inner lining of a mule deer's ears. I have spotted that black V first more often than any other feature when hunting Mule Deer. The glint and mahogany colorizations of antlers can be a give away if seen.

Mostly, when glassing do not limit yourself to looking for a whole deer. Most often, you will see part of a deer first. Then, the rest of that deer and then more often than not other deer will come into your focus that were there all the time.

Spotting deer comes with doing it a lot. Try to buddy up with an experienced hunter who knows how to glass and ask him to point out deer when he sees them.

Here, our mule deer like to lay up underneath a batch of brush at or near the top of a hill. In warm weather they will greatly prefer the dark side of a hillside. In cold weather the opposite is true.

PLUS 1 on Vortex Viper being great glass for the money. I prefer a binoc with a built in rangefinder, but those are lots more money.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A spotting scope has a greater magnification than binoculars, correct? And so when you find the deer with your binoculars, you then use the spotting scope to identify what the deer are? Sorry if this sounds so elementary. Hunting in mountains for deer is very new to me.

Spot on! Pardon the bad pun. You have it correct.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would I be able to purchase a good pair of binoculars and a good spotting scope for under $1000 or do I need to spend more? What ever I can get without breaking the bank.

Yes, and Yes. especially in the used market or re furbished under warranty stuff.

Doug here at Cameraland would be able to hook you up nicely. He is an advertiser here and posts often in the hunting optics forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, But sometimes ill use binoculars and then switch to scope, even if I didn't find anything with binoculars. You need to get what you can, maybe even just 15X binoculars. You'll figure out what works for you with practice. In the a.m you will get more responses

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a pair of smaller binoculars about 8X32 I can keep around my neck. Unbutton the top button on my shirt and keep them there.
Large binoculars can be a PIA on foot, so can a larger spotting scope, get one you can carry in a day pack.
I rarely carry a spotter walking, and both of plenty good enough quality can be had well under $1000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The key in my small experience is scouting

You need to spend more time out there in the off season. Pattern the deer. With Mule deer, you'll find a lot are transient while some are resident.

Make a mental note of how that pattern changes with weather.

I can't speak much to your equipment since I'm hunting a much different type of terrain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My set up is 10x42 LRF binocs and a 15-60 Nikon spotting scope but I live and hunt in extremely wide open country. In area's that were more mountainous and which had more trees (we have ZERO trees where I hunt) and or shrubbery the 8x32 would make a lot of sense. What you need buy and take is somewhat dependant upon where and how you hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114

You need to spend more time out there in the off season. Pattern the deer. With Mule deer, you'll find a lot are transient while some are resident.

I can't speak much to your equipment since I'm hunting a much different type of terrain.

This. And this depends on time of year. You got a lotta homework.. smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by pira114

This. And this depends on time of year. You got a lotta homework.. smile

But it is FUN homework! Get yourself a pack rod and small basic trout fishing kit that fits easily in your daypack or XL fannypack.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thinkin' the OP needs to talk to some local sportsmen or
a huntin' buddy.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

bag of tricks:

It's called hunting, not killing. Your rifle/caliber/scope combination is just fine but it's just the beginning. Next you need a good pair of boots so you can cover miles upon miles of ground looking for signs and then a good pair of binoculars so you can let your eyes do the walking. There's no end to the gear that you can buy for hunting.

But having the right gear is no guarantee that you will see game animals. It can take years to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective hunter. You can reduce the learning curve by reading a lot regarding the subject and talking with experienced hunters but there's no substitute for experience.

But even lots of experience is no guarantee. I've been hunting for fifty years and recently went on a deer hunt in new country. After three days of hiking, scouting and looking for sign I wasn't very encouraged. But eventually I figured out a place where I was pretty confident that there would be deer that evening. I did my sneak into the area in mid-afternoon and sat down to wait. A little before sundown they came out running and I couldn't get a shot. I don't know what I did wrong but I must have done something to alert them.

Then it started raining. Then it was time to go home. I didn't get a deer but I had a great time trying.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,283
Posts18,505,153
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.