Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9305387 11/02/14
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Never was a good runner now trying to get back into it. I can do a mile in around 10 minutes trying to extend it to 3 miles possible 5 miles any suggestions on how to extend the run and shorten time. I can't get motivated to run past a mile or so.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you can be patient add about 100 yards per run. Once you get to your desired distance then try to speed up at the last 200 - 300 yards. Then start increasing that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Running gets boring I tend to look forward and block out the pain and urge to stop (grin).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
Never was a good runner now trying to get back into it. I can do a mile in around 10 minutes trying to extend it to 3 miles possible 5 miles any suggestions on how to extend the run and shorten time. I can't get motivated to run past a mile or so.

Get a really pissed of Hog behind you, only way I've ever been able to run "fast"...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Much like sex, if it's painful and you want it to end you're doing something wrong.

Unless it's a hooker. In that case you need to run faster.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I find listening to music helps with the boredom, and can help with the pace if chosen with that in mind. When I got back into running after a bout with a bad back, I had to force myself to run slower than I wanted to. If I ran at the pace I thought I should have been able to run, I had no endurance at all. Swallowing my pride and slowing down helped me increase distance. Building up a bit of endurance then allowed me to pick up the pace. I could be full of schyte, but it worked for me.

Mike
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice....

Deerwhacker444,

Slow and steady won the race at least in the Tortoise vs the Hare? Guess I don't need much speed but enough for a good cardio workout?

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Having a defined goal is always a good motivator. Try picking a run in the local area about 4 months or so out. 5k is a fun distance, and 10k isn't too much for a first race either. There are lots of good training programs on the interwebs for building up to a first run, try halhigdon.com if you haven't already found a plan.

Keeping a running log is another motivator for me. I like looking back and seeing how far or long I've run in the past month/year.

Also, make sure you have a quality, good fitting pair of running shoes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Vairboy,

Thanks, I will check out the website. I sometimes find that my feet are falling asleep towards the end of a run and loosen the laces to help increase circulation. Been using Mizunos for running and try to swap them out every 6 months. Some say every 1-3 months but I will manage with 6 months?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will ask asphaltangel to chime in, she has run over 20 marathons and a couple of ultra marathons.

Me? My marathon time would be timed with a CALANDER cry blush

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't get motivated to run past a mile or so.

Quit trying to find a "magic bullet" and get to the root of the problem. You're being lazy. Running is primarily a mental game, and your head's not in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your feet are falling asleep, that ain't good!

I always do better with a running partner. I'm not a big fan of jogging and a partner helps keep me motivated as I hate to lose anything, especially a footrace.

Check out if there is a running club close by.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Getting the correct shoes should not be overlooked. I have a pretty funky gait, and if I don't wear the right shoes, my shins really feel like crap in pretty short order. The guy at the runner's shop took about ten seconds watching me walk to get me in the right shoes. World of difference.

Mike
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Vairboy,

Thanks, I will check out the website. I sometimes find that my feet are falling asleep towards the end of a run and loosen the laces to help increase circulation. Been using Mizunos for running and try to swap them out every 6 months. Some say every 1-3 months but I will manage with 6 months?

Esox357,
They recommend changing out your running shoes every 500 miles. It doesn't matter if that is in 2 months, 6 months, or 8. ..just figure the mileage on your shoes. Another recommendation is to purchase 2 pair of running shoes at the same time and rotate the shoes so that each pair of shoes has a chance to completely dry out before you wear them again.

Try jogging your mile and then walking/jogging until you have completed 3 miles. Gradually reduce the walking until you are jogging the entire distance. It needs to be gradual to avoid injuries that will just set you back. Just to be safe, give yourself 8 weeks to work up to 3 miles.

Listening to your favorite music, using a running log, doing some cross training, having a race to shoot for, having a goal weight to shoot for, etc. are all ideas that can help you stick with it. Some of my best races were during the time I was cross training with cycling because it strengthened the opposing muscle groups in my legs.

Runner's world magazine is geared toward beginning runners so you may find some helpful articles there as well as the internet. Running is a great way to stay in shape! Best wishes!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I always do better with a running partner.

Sean
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Benben
Getting the correct shoes should not be overlooked. I have a pretty funky gait, and if I don't wear the right shoes, my shins really feel like crap in pretty short order. The guy at the runner's shop took about ten seconds watching me walk to get me in the right shoes. World of difference.

Can't run over a mile or I have to ice my shins. They hurt to stand and walk after a 10 minute rest. I stretch too so it must be my shoes.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Asphalt and the rest for the advice. I tend to come down "hard" and pound the concrete working on lighter landings to help avoid injury. Sounds like I need to hit the running shop to see about correct shoes may be another issue, although after having brooks, asics, and a few others the mizunos are the most comfortable but possibly not the best for my running style?

Dakota, your absolutely right. Lazy does play a big part of it as well hence the reason for some added advice. I can lift all day long and not worry, cardio is another story.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I made the mistake of buying running shoes just based on what was comfortable instead of having someone who knew what they were doing help me. Now I buy my shoes at a running shop from people who know what they're talking about.

Mike
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Couple things. First, you can help your running by doing some weights, too. Second, for motivation, find someone to run with.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Running sucks until you get the "runner's high."

The bad news for you, it comes after a half-hour or so.

I used to run a lot, but was never too fast for distance, although I did crank out 3 six-minute miles for my Marine PFT.

I bike now. Better on the knees, and you see more. It is also "easier" to do for longer periods of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,811
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.