Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My friend's rav 4 overheated on the way home today. She got a couple bottles of antifreeze and filled it back up and a couple minutes later, it overheated again. She called AAA, and they said her belt was torn. They pulled it out and handed it to her. It looked new but it was torn. I figured something seized up and the belt heated up and pooped out. I got to look at it a couple hours ago. I turned the alternator and it was fine. Down below, I turned something I couldn't see and it turned fine. There were two silver wheels without grooves. I figured they were there just to tension the belt. One was smooth and tight and the other was loose. You could rattle it with your hand. It wobbled. It doesn't seem normal to me, and I wonder if it is the root to the problem. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you let me know please.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sounds like an idler or Tensioner pulley. If it's loose like that it's probably because the bearing went T.U. Get a new Idler/tensioner and a belt and hopefully she'll be good to go with no lasting damage.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like an idler pulley went belly up. Belt probably rubbed on something else and shredded. The backside of a serpentine belt runs on the smooth pulleys.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Water pump? Alternator?

Last edited by Bigbuck215; 11/04/14.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What year?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes when an idler pulley gets too much play, usually from a bearing getting loose, it will throw the belt and the crankshaft pulley will eat the serpentine belt.

My experience anyway.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Idler or tension-er bearing was used too much when it was new...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you guys.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If the water pump seizes up the belt will break. I have had it happen twice. If the water pump was failing that might have caused the temp to go up before it locked up. I am not a mechanic but it has happened to me. Good luck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm thinking the bad pulley let the belt slop around and slip on the water pump causing the over heat. FWIW if the pulley isn't damaged, scarred or gouged the bearing can be knocked out and replaced with a $10 bearing from a bearing house. At least it can be done on Sierra/Sequoias.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FryeBaby
If the water pump seizes up the belt will break. I have had it happen twice. If the water pump was failing that might have caused the temp to go up before it locked up. I am not a mechanic but it has happened to me. Good luck.

That was my first thought, but I am also no mechanic. Just a do it yourselfer much of my life out of neccesity. I have done some of my own mechanicing, but hated every minute of it! shocked

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do the cheap, easy thing first. You already know that the tensioner/idler pulley bearing is bad. That wobble could have been the whole problem, making the belt detour to the point it got damaged. Replace that first and put on a new belt. Check all the wheel things down there and be sure they all turn as they should. If they do, go with the new tensioner/idler and new belt. You mentioned there are two smooth wheels. One is likely a tensioner and the other an idler pulley. Test run it and see if it tries to overheat again. If not and the belt runs smoothly, it's fixed. If there is another problem (such as the water pump not turning right) it's likely to let you know pretty soon.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Rob-
Very often the belt routing is on a sticker on the underside of the hood.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Also, tell her to be really careful to avoid warping the head with overheating.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My pards GF drove her car "home right away as soon as the little red light came on."

Engine was toast.

She's a Cambridge grad who asked me years ago "How many gallons in a five gallon bucket ?"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.