Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Been waiting for a long time for this. Wish we could have done an earlier hunt but this is how things worked out.

Driving from Ontario, Canada to Buffalo, Wyoming starting Saturday. Hunt starts Monday AM. Hunting with an outfitter in unit 102.

Weather report says fantastic weather during our drive with snow on Monday, clearing up on Tue, Wed but below freezing. What a HUGE change in a just a day or two!!!

It is what it is I guess so best we can do is hope we will see enough antelope to harvest some. I'm armed with a buck tag and three doe tags and my partner with two doe tags. Not looking for a trophy so I'm not going to be too selective.

Wish us luck and let me know if you have any last minute words of wisdom.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good luck and enjoy your trip. I'd venture to say if your outfitter is worth his salt getting some antelope killed won't be a problem. The weather is supposed to be pretty nice (for this time of year) and any snow you get may work in your favor.

Good hunting, fill us in when you're back.

As for words of wisdom-know the range and pay attention to the wind. And don't just plop down anywhere without looking-there are cactus under the snow!

Golden............
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
That is good advice on the cactus! Will keep that in mind.

Curious to know what you mean by the snow working in our favour? I'll be thrilled if there is some positive in the snow!

I should know better than to believe a weather report 4 days ahead though. Who knows what it will really be like. Maybe the warmth will hang on for a couple more days then they thing.

Did a lot of research on the outfitter. Seems very good so I hope it works out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep and they are little sneaky cactus not the southwest variety. Snow tends to bunch the antelope up.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and bring warm clothes ...

Buffalo, WY Weather Forecast

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
and bring warm clothes ...

Buffalo, WY Weather Forecast

That's a fact!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got back from Buffalo Wy about a couple of weeks ago. I stayed at the Rodeway motel there and I recommend it. Tell them Steve from Maryland sent you.

Best restaurant by far there, and elsewhere, is Winchesters. Tell them I sent you and ask for a table waited on by Joni.

When you get your antelope, take it to Big Horn Meat Cutting. Excellent service and you get a really nice 2015 calendar.

I've been hunting out of Buffalo for about 12-14 years and I love the place. Look West and you see the Bighorn Mountains which are about 5 miles away. Look East and you see a broad prairie with lots of hills.

There were more antelope in the area than I've seen in a while. Just wait for a 14 plus incher.

PM me if you want more info. I'll give you my home phone if you want to talk.

Best of luck to you.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck and happy hunting!!

Eric

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Make darned sure you get a look at both horns before shooting. This late in the year, they will be dropping. Would be a shame to shoot a big antelope with one horn!

Let your guide break trail through the cactus while crawling in the snow.

Hunting this late can be pretty darned tough. They will likely be bunched up, which may mean 50 sets of eyes staring at you while you're dicking trying to get a shot.

Don't overestimate the yardage. Pronghorn are relatively small animals, and especially if you're not used to the open country, distance can be hard to judge and is almost always overestimated. This is fine and dandy if your laser rangefinder works, but if the snow is blowing it may not.

Have fun and good luck!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Gentlemen. Thank you for the encouragement. Almost all packed and ready to go. Spent a few hours at the range doing a final sight in and some last min practice prone. I'm finally quite confident out to 330 y (300m) which is what I have easy access to up here.

I don't expect a bit beyond would be a problem either but I will practice a bit camp when I recheck zero; they have a range out to 500 yards.

I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight !

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

keep us up to date on your hunt. Best of luck to you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I suspect we will all be looking forward to your field report.

Hope you have a great hunt.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stop in and see Sendero Man while you're out there!

Pete Dube runs Bear Track Outfitters in Buffalo and I can recommend him. I had a great trip out there hunting with Dennis last year!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I would love to meet up with someone from the forum who is local or hunting here over the next couple of days!

We just rolled into Gillette for breakfast right now after driving all night.

Saw lots of antelope and mule deer; first time seeing them in my life. Saw a buck with both horns - I'm stoked!

Snow is supposed to move in tomorrow so let's hope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 1badf350, 222ND, 2500HD, 51 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,288
Posts18,505,189
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.