Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
the local coroners office here just had a public auction for 30 years worth of guns used in suicides and accidental killings. i was out of town hunting but probably wouldn't have went anyway. kind of creepy. granted, i don't know the history on 90% of my guns i own now but it seems like bad mojo to me since i'm kind of superstitious.

would any of you guys buy at an auction like this?

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Look how many folks hunt with old military rifles.I wouldn't think twice about owning one.I wouldn't want to know the gory details of any particular rifle,but from what I've seen a public auction is not a very good place to find good deals on guns.People get in a bidding frenzy,and usually overpay in my opinion.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why not??? Guns are just tools. What someone did with them previously doesn't mean that a gun is cursed or anything. Heck, I got the gun that my bro in law used to off himself with and I'm still here.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
+1 on the point about military rifles. Old Mausers and Walthers that have the Nazi eagle stamp are collectors items, God only knows what those guns have been used for...

LMBH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy a milsurp, but not a criminal homicide gun.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by manydogs
Why not??? Guns are just tools. What someone did with them previously doesn't mean that a gun is cursed or anything. Heck, I got the gun that my bro in law used to off himself with and I'm still here.

Good friend of mine has the gun his wifes brother used to shoot himself. Hell, his wife shot it when I was at the range with them. Didn't seem to bother her a bit.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Probably a big pile of single barrel shotguns, FIE 25 autos and various 22's. I have worked a couple of suicides where nicer stuff was in play. Once an 8 inch nickel Python and another time a Gold Cup.

Regardless, it wouldn't be anything I would be interested in.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Betting the police gun that killed the fat ass [bleep] in Ferguson, and Zimmerman pistol would bring a bit $$$ at action

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But that's not a bad luck gun, that's a lucky gun!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with manydogs on this one. Its not the guns fault someone with problems decides to off themselves or some idiot used it to rob a store. I'd buy one.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd give a $100 bucks for the Wilkes derringer or Oswald's Carcano.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'd give a $100 bucks for the Wilkes derringer or Oswald's Carcano.

You big spenders make me sick. grin

Ed

P.S. I thought this thread was going to be about Remlins...

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem141r
the local coroners office here just had a public auction for 30 years worth of guns used in suicides and accidental killings. i was out of town hunting but probably wouldn't have went anyway. kind of creepy. granted, i don't know the history on 90% of my guns i own now but it seems like bad mojo to me since i'm kind of superstitious.

would any of you guys buy at an auction like this?

Saw that article over the weekend. They said there were some higher end items that were going to be up for auction, but I nevertheless saw a final sale list?

Stush
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Bought a gorgeous M1A from my sheriff's dept that was used in a murder/suicide. Had it rebuilt by the USArmy marksmanship training unit.......no problems with it. I view it as a tool....I had nothing to do with how that tool was used prior to me owning it. Taken a ton of deer with it since then.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guns don't kill people,,, people kill people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wouldnt worry bout it....the paper which had no deaths in it had ghosts but the house i bought didnt have any when i know for a fact someone was killed in it....gun is a gun..

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's good to see them selling the guns instead of destroying them!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
friend of mine bought a Ruger mark 1 22 pistol,with a box of shells ,with one round gone.
only fired once,suicide.
$25

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Probably a big pile of single barrel shotguns, FIE 25 autos and various 22's. I have worked a couple of suicides where nicer stuff was in play. Once an 8 inch nickel Python and another time a Gold Cup.

Regardless, it wouldn't be anything I would be interested in.

If I worked the case, I wouldn't be interested in it either. At an auction with no first hand knowledge? Sure.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I couldn't....
Had a rifle I did for a customer. Very simple 700 rebarrel to .6 mm 06. Seems nothing went right . Barrel got shipped with the wrong twist couldn't get the finish right the customer which I have built many, said I need to get a dead chicken and do a dance around it. We got through it finally but not without effort. We decided there must be somthing spooked about the rifle...next one I did went without a hitch..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,835
Posts18,517,071
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.