Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm curious if this is common in other areas and why do they do this?
The city that I reside has a population of about 20,000 and has spent several hundred thousands of dollars replacing older sidewalks over the last 3 or 4 years but more and more frequently I see people walking in the street instead of using the sidewalk.
It is not uncommon to see someone,at night,walking down a fairly well traveled and unlighted street with a hoodie pulled up while wearing dark clothes.WTF?

Why do they do this? Is it supposed to be "cool"? I used to think that maybe it was something to do with gang turf but I'm seeing older people doing it now.
Don't they know that it is dangerous or do they just not care?

I've even seen people walking in traffic lanes after midnight on one of the highways through town.

Is this common behavior where you live?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
not where I live.... the would get their stupid butt run over

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
...do they just not care?...

This is your answer.

BTW, there are no sidewalks where I live.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Not so much where I live but it is the norm in more urban areas. Especially with the black youth. I think it started as a "I can do whatever I want, you won't hit me" thing. Also a big f you to society.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by EWY
Not so much where I live but it is the norm in more urban areas. Especially with the black youth. I think it started as a "I can do whatever I want, you won't hit me" thing. Also a big f you to society.

Ernie

I don't think that it's a racial thing around here as I see all races and age groups doing it but it does seem that young white males are the most often seen but they are the largest group out and about.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EWY

Ernie
That's what the practice of wearing their pants waist down below the bottom of their buttocks is about, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just slow down, open the door, and swat their dumb ass.

Sean
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Might be a practical answer to your question - it might just be easier.

Maybe even the newer sidewalks are just pretty crummy - cracked, or roots lifting up chunks, or irregular joints pretty often - and the street might just be a more even surface to walk on without tripping. Or even if the new ones aren't, enough old ones are that they've conditioned people not to trust them.

Thug or not, most folks will end up doing what's easiest.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by EWY

Ernie

Same here! I dare you to hit me attitude.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
Might be a practical answer to your question - it might just be easier.

Maybe even the newer sidewalks are just pretty crummy - cracked, or roots lifting up chunks, or irregular joints pretty often - and the street might just be a more even surface to walk on without tripping. Or even if the new ones aren't, enough old ones are that they've conditioned people not to trust them.

Thug or not, most folks will end up doing what's easiest.
Where we lived from my birth till I was six, there were very nice elevated and curbed sidewalks, and every pedestrian used them. I missed them when we moved to a neighborhood that didn't have them. About twelve years ago, I moved to where I am now, and there were no sidewalks, so if you wanted to take a walk, or walk your dog, the street was your only choice.

Last year, however, they put in crappy sidewalks, which seem more for looks than for actual use. Can hardly even call them sidewalks, since they're at the same level as the road, with no separation or curb. Besides that, they didn't trim back the trees and bushes, so you have to constantly duck and weave to avoid them if you choose to walk on the sidewalk. I tried it for a while, but soon went back to walking on the street like before, so your point is valid.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ALL the time here. Sign of the times and the diluted gene pool...

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No biggie.. I've seen both. And, at times, I'd much rather be in the street than on any sidewalk.. Between trees, fenced yards and the like, there can be little room to maneuver if necessary..

In the street, one can have a lot of room to evade/elude either cars, thugs, dogs or whatever...

Who cares.. FWIW... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think Michael Brown started the craze there in Ferguson, and look where it got him.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sidewalk... PHFFT

We have a hard time keeping a road !! blush

[Linked Image]

My neighbor yelled across "And you STAY on your side !!!" laugh laugh

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For some folks, it may have to do with the fact pavement is more forgiving than cement ....grass is even better. Some people have feet, knee, or low back issues that will flare up after a 30-40 minute walk on sidewalk but not so much on the softer surfaces.

Just like Redneck, I will change where I walk according to my surroundings and lighting [for after dark].

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoodie at night in dark clothes. I think that's what grille guards are for.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My employees take walks on their breaks and I asked them why they always walk on the street. We are in an industrial area and there are lots of freight and delivery trucks. I told them its dangerous and they reply its smoother than the sidewalk.... eek

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good, easier to scrape her off of.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Usually the old heifers here walking their poodles and claiming to be getting fit...our sidewalks are in great condition btw.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako
not where I live.... the would get their stupid butt run over

Our drunks drive on the sidewalks. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,814
Posts18,496,452
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.