Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,443 of 1,842 1 2 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Head down here.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
First off, thank you to all you veterans and thank you for serving our great country. Second, congrats to all the successful hunters this past weekend. Especially, b-mans daughter. What a great experience for you both!

Me and mini-man had a great weekend chasing deer but we're not successful on the killing part. We did have a blast and he's hooked. Gopher and his buddy Josh cooked u a few great meals and got to stare at the ruffed grouse with the rest of us. On Sunday afternoon, Andy, jack, and I scout/hunted an area that has potential. We are going to haul in a few ladder stands this winter when it's easier to pull em on the Otter sled. Now it will be real easy! Lots of snow up that way.
It was a pleasure and an honor to share a deer camp with Josh, Tom, Andy, and mini-man. Josh is my pastor from church, and a better friend I'll never have. Tom, in a moment of insanity a couple years ago invited me to join him and Andy and hunt his spots up by Duluth. It's tough, challenging hunting. A true northwoods adventure. Then there's mini-man, Tom's boy. Every time I see this neat little kid, I'm jealous of Tom and what he's doing with this young man. Jackson's about as cool a kid as you will ever meet. He's going to be a good hunter, but he's got some big boots to fill. Dad's definitely bringing him up right. My health issues this year have shown me that my best hunts are behind me now. Now it's the little things that are much more important to me. A young boy's laugh, a good meal with good friends, the sun peaking over the trees. There's a lot more to a memorable hunt than notching a tag. That's always nice too though.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I hope all the veterans had a nice day.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I did. Most of my co-workers think I was a Corpsman in the Marines or something medical like that, and I got free coffee today.

Yesterday was the one that "matters" anyhow..... smile

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Head up, of course.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by goalie

I did. Most of my co-workers think I was a Corpsman in the Marines or something medical like that, and I got free coffee today.

Happy birthday by the way.

239 yrs old and we don't look a day over 100.

Lol.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Head up or do more work later.... Haven't you fools tried to skin a burbot tail-up?:)

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh this stings....I had to go to Denver for work Monday to Wednesday and my brother hunted. Yep, he saw a big 10 pointer right by my stand! Ouch. That hurts. I wish I didn't have to work for a living.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Happy birthday by the way.

239 yrs old and we don't look a day over 100.

Lol.

Right back at ya, even if it is a day late.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Oh this stings....I had to go to Denver for work Monday to Wednesday and my brother hunted. Yep, he saw a big 10 pointer right by my stand! Ouch. That hurts. I wish I didn't have to work for a living.

He saw it, but did he shoot it?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a great day hanging out with my girls, worked on the basement trying to finish the remod. it's actually looking like a bedroom with/bath. one more day and it should be ready to tape/sand and paint.

just 3 more days til rifle opens west river. hoping I can bag my buck by then with a bow. gettin nervous! -3 the truck said this morning when it grumbled awake. so much for the nice fall we had, winter is here with white stuff falling since monday morning early. good luck to those who are still braving the cold!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a great veterans day, boss cut me loose early and since the boys were visiting their mom I headed out to the stand.

Sitting there thinking of some old friends I was surprised when a 8 point walked out.

No one had seen him around the area. One shot and that was it.

Not a giant but enough to make me happy smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats BD!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you sir. We still have one tag for the youngest yet. We're gonna head out again this afternoon to get his tag punched hopefully.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awesome BD. Let's see some pictures!!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
way easier to skin head down, and i find easier to break down into quarters as well. We used to hang them head up, but found there was a lot more hair on the meat, and it was a lot harder to skin, plus its hard to cape a buck if'n ur hanging him by the part ur trying to take to the taxidermy man :-D

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Head down for me. I don't find a difference in how hard it is to quarter em, but there is a lot less hair on the meat when I skin em head down.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by add
Head up, of course.

[Linked Image]

Nice!

When I do hang em head up, I have a couple of meat hooks I sock into the neck and hang em. (I have a couple but I only use one per deer).

That way the quarters are free for removal and ..... I used to be pretty sure you get less hair on the meat when pulling hide head up.

Since those days, I've disassembled deer and elk
Head up, down, east, west, in a cavern, in a tavern, back of truck, out of luck, in a river, with a sliver, belly up, belly down, in the swamp and on high ground.

It don't matter to me really, you have to take em apart, trim, cut, wrap and freeze. How you do it is usually dependent on the situation you are in, temp, time available, recources available etc.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I am trying it head-down next year.

We do usually hang them head-up from a tree at camp and rinse off the inside before bringing them into the garage. If we bring them home to the shop to skin and quarter, it is just as easy to hang by the rear legs when we get there.

I do think it is nice to have them head-up for rinsing, but we have not ever gut-shot one, so I don't know if it really helps anything to rinse out the body, we've just always done it before cutting out the tenderloins for the grill.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
but we have not ever gut-shot one

Oh my....

You know what you have to do now right?

Something clever here.

Page 1,443 of 1,842 1 2 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,803
Posts18,477,480
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.