Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9341286 11/16/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
just what the problem is at Auburn? I barely know more about football than I do basketball but Auburn has shown very little defensive skill this year. What's changed in their program?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just happened on this article right after I posted.

Quote:

Now there's no reason to wait. There's no reason to consider other options. There's no reason for Gus Malzahn to do anything else on this otherwise cold, wet and dreary Sunday to fix a major crack in his Auburn football program before he does this:

Call Will Muschamp.

Offer condolences that Florida fired him.

Then offer him a blank check to return to Auburn as defensive coordinator.

Muschamp obviously needs a job for next year, and Auburn desperately needs the help.

Of course, Malzahn should meet with Ellis Johnson as soon as possible to thank him for his service and wish him well. Johnson has done some good things at Auburn, but the defense's regression this season screams out for a change.

Muschamp's availability makes that scream even louder.

The Florida head coaching job may have been too big for a first-time head coach. The tangible and intangible problems left behind by Urban Meyer may have been too much to overcome.

But Muschamp is an elite defensive coordinator, one of the best in the business. He's right there with Georgia's Jeremy Pruitt, who schooled Malzahn's offense Saturday night, and Alabama's Kirby Smart, who pulled the plug on Dak Prescott's Heisman campaign.

Before Smart and Pruitt learned how to run a defense working for Nick Saban, Muschamp absorbed those lessons and then put them into practice on his own. There's no better person at that position Malzahn could hire.

Not to mention, Muschamp is a class act. He's handled this difficult hot-seat season with the Gators like the total professional he is. Any program would be fortunate to have him as a coach and a person.

If that weren't enough for Malzahn to offer to make Muschamp the first $2 million-a-year coordinator, he's no stranger. He knows the SEC, and he knows Auburn, having worked on the Plains for two years under Tommy Tuberville.

You remember. Back when Auburn used to play defense. It's where Muschamp became Coach Boom.

The Auburn connection might not be totally positive because Muschamp did have an issue or two with Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs when Muschamp worked there in 2006 and 2007, but grown men should be able to put the past behind.

Where else can Muschamp go and have a chance to win conference and national titles? Where else can Malzahn turn to find a championship coordinator on the side of the ball where his program needs major help?

A pairing of Muschamp and Malzahn might give Auburn the strongest combination of defensive and offensive minds in college football.

Muschamp just became the hottest commodity on the coaching market. He'll have plenty of opportunities to keep coaching ball as a coordinator - Texas A&M and South Carolina are two possibilities - and knowing him, he won't take a year off to sit in a TV studio.

This would be a good time for Malzahn to move #AuburnFast.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could always bring back Gene Chizik. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Could always bring back Gene Chizik. grin

Chizik is Polish for "Titanic". You go sit in the corner until you can learn some manners. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been a bad, bad boy. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MColeman
just what the problem is at Auburn?

I've been wondering that very same thing most of my adult life. wink

All joking aside, Muschamp would make a very good coordinator. I seriously doubt he would return to AU. You never know though. Malzahn did (with a big fat raise to boot). confused

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,426
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.