-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very impressive! Interesting that the bottom half holes didn't strip out. Check JoeBob's hypothesis and stick it in the freezer overnight and do the vise test again.......just for fun.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Running outta T-15's grin

I won't mention hunting 2 seasons with a rear that was only finger tight...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
I won't mention hunting 2 seasons with a rear that was only finger tight...

Ummmmmm......That sounds like a personal problem to me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob

I can't figure out what happened. The rifle went from my safe to my truck and as far as I know, it was not dropped or anything. The only think I can figure is that it spent the night in the truck and the temps were in the lower 20s. Maybe it got cold and brittle.

Steels often show a transition to brittle behaviour at low temperatures (depending on the alloy), but aluminum alloys generally don't perform much different at cryogenic temperatures compared to room temperature.

Maybe that mount just took a bump, without you noticing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'303,

The "particulars" of your "rigors" was even fhuqking funnier than I factored and I was weighing the humor quotient HEAVILY! It is a right proper Dichotomy that your year's worth of "use",is what we call a morning's jaunt in these parts. Perspective of course being everything and one of many reasons,why you couldn't critique ANYTHING. Hint.

You are always going to do better,by shutting the fhuqk up,taking notes and applying same. If only due the fact that someone who "does" as "much" as you,is certainly in no position to be answering questions...as you NEED to be asking them.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Laughing!

And if only to cheer you up,I've managed a touch better than 4000rds of centerfire this pass alone and just how many decades is that,for you?!? Do tell. PLEASE do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt. Hint.

Re-laughing!

Wow +P+...............

'bore,

I've failed 'em in numerous ways and always aboard modest recoiling Dirty Duty Rifles,that see copious time afield and obnoxious round counts. Have puked more than a few fasteners too,but when citing an LW failure,I'm talking something structural puked in regards to the ring proper.

I smoked al least (2) sets of LW's on my Ti 7-08 and maybe 3...but cain't recall for certain,so will attribute only a brace.

[Linked Image]

Though in fairness,there ain't too much schit I don't break. But in fairness,I can't know anyone who schleps a rifle as often as I,let alone shoots as much...so I've got "unfair" advantages in puking schit.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hard Use do schit to thangs.

10/22's are great at eating both mounting systems and glass and I'd NEVER try to make an LW "work" there,as it ain't in the cards...and I've better than a dozen a 10/22's.

AMT came close to getting it right,with their integral dovetail,but they need D&T'd for security. Conjoined with a 25MOA 1913 rail and you make nice gains,that will stay put. 75MOA would of course be warmer and fuzzier...but it is,what it is.

A Bob rail overshoots the integral dovetail and a coupla holes keep all from walking..........

[Linked Image]

'Bob,

Seen it multiple times...but we don't get the temp swings.(grin)..............

HG,

Had (2) pards fail 'em this year on Critters(Dall Sheep and Caribou),both having to resort to using a back-up rifle that their partners were schlepping(nice when everyone is gunning GOOD schit).

I think the boys know their way around rifles,more than a smidge. Laughing!

DD's are coming back in force,simply due the LW Puke Rate as NOONE has ever puked a DD. Dump an extended front on it,to maximize ring spacing and glass lasts better too. Give a thunk to eccentrics mechanically centering windage,shim as one pleases to bolster erector travel and "luck" starts to happen in non-lineal fashion by literal default. 50+ MOA of erector travel on the otherside of a 162's 250yd zero at 2850fps launch,will cover some real estate and nip atmospheric conditions. Hint.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/841/jdkd.jpg[/img]

Hint.

But I'm talking folks who actually shoot and knock the new offa schit and go through alotta barrels.

Re-hint.

Things like Marty's 20MOA double-lugged/clipslotted 1913 rail are purty warm and purty fuzzy,in their ability to not budge and fend abuse.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/196/jql4.jpg[/img]

Ring spacing,ring spacing and ring spacing are the biggest cookies you can toss a scope's longevity/reliability.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/538/lOIGsa.jpg[/img]

Just saying.

Good talk.

Laughing!................

'oz,

Steel mounts,don't break like alloy mounts.

Unless you are talking chickenschit fhuqking CZ JUNK.(grin)

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/855/fb2k.jpg[/img]

To the chagrin of Window Lickers everywhere,spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial and will reliably reveal more than a smidge.

Hint.

Hell...it's easy for me to say,if only because I got it all and LW's are light years away from being the pinnacle of rugged reliability.

Would LOVE to see 'em in S/S and wearing an extended front option,for max ring spacing...................

(Addendum):

Joe Average is CLUELESS as you attest. I do not know a single soul who schleps the Weavers you cite,though I've more than a few kicking around and they are utter dog schit.

Hint.................

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logger
Yesterday I missed a relatively easy shot at a coyote and spent last night trying to determine whether it was an equipment problem or an operator error. The rifle is a 2011 NULA 20B in 308. What I found was that the lower portion of the front Talley lightweight scope mount was cracked completely through lengthwise. I always use my 1/4" Armstrong torque wrench to install scope mounts and did so on this rifle (25 in/lbs for the bases). Has anyone else had this problem with the Talley's?

Likely solution is to get Weaver standard detachable top mount rings. Not sure if it's just me but it seems most hunters who can shoot and bring home the meat use simple Weaver bases and rings. confused

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BS: 10/22 hard on scopes?+ Wow I guess we must use different optics?

You had a SS fixed fail on a 10.22 Laffin

Now I have an air rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10at6

Now I have an air rifle.

He must be thinking about air guns that rely on heavy spring tension for pellet propulsion. Those are notoriously brutal on scopes. Beeman used to sell scopes that could withstand those two stage vibrations.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Likely solution is to get Weaver standard detachable top mount rings. Not sure if it's just me but it seems most hunters who can shoot and bring home the meat use simple Weaver bases and rings. confused

This is very interesting. I have never seen someone with both Weaver bases and Weaver rings in Oregon. The animals here are, therefore, safe from the hunters.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by 10at6

Now I have an air rifle.

He must be thinking about air guns that rely on heavy spring tension for pellet propulsion. Those are notoriously brutal on scopes. Beeman used to sell scopes that could withstand those two stage vibrations.

Nope.....I mean....yea. Air guns are hard on scopes. But so are 10/22's. Had a Leupold 3.5-10x fail and started to research it. You two might do the same.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

This is very interesting. I have never seen someone with both Weaver bases and Weaver rings in Oregon. The animals here are, therefore, safe from the hunters.

I don't know anybody that uses them, either. The Weaver Grand Slam steel bases and steel rings were good....but not sure that they make them any more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10/22 ain't no bolt gun. 1/8" rod inside 1/4" gas line will make a thud out of a tink.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of Yellow Jacket rounds through my 10/22 with a Tasco mounted on it. Nary a problem. Next time buy a good scope.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of Yellow Jacket rounds through my 10/22 with a Tasco mounted on it. Nary a problem. Next time buy a good scope.

"Maybe thousands"? My 12-yr old son can go through a couple of 525-round bulk packs in one weekend. "Maybe thousands"?? That Tasco sure is tough! crazy

Yea. I know. Leupold is schitt fo' sho'! 10/22 is a pussycat on scopes as you say. crazy

Great advice there. crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put a SWFA FF on a 25MOA rail and watch the fun begin.

'Course I gotta thank Stick for that one.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Nikon 4x Rimfire on there now and it's holding up great. But "his 10/22" is about worn out. Mine is in much better shape. I'm going to give the boy a single shot next time we go out. Can't afford that schitt any more.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't remember the total travel, but I'm still at the crosshairs out to 330 yards with a 50 yard zero. That schit is funny.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If only due the fact that someone who "does" as "much" as you,is certainly in no position to be answering questions...as you NEED to be asking them.

I didn't know quoting torque specs from the manufacturer required your highness' blessing thanks for setting me straight on that. lmfao Pretty slow night or what? I'll pass on longcocking about how much I shoot too thanks, never found much good in that wink

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 219DW, 204guy, 53 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,275
Posts18,525,516
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.