Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks so much for the info. Jamaica Inn was totally booked off for the dates I have. Dominican Republic has a lot of options and some relatives and friends have had good experiences there. Prices are about the same for Cancun, Jam and DR. Will depend on flight schedules, as time is short I would rather pay up front for the whole package and be done.
Departure to and from wont be on a weekend, but I agree that many of these countries live and depend on tourism and service, with major airlines from all the world coming and going, according to flights we saw. I bet the airport people ate up to snuff on it.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would look into the US Virgin Islands, St. John/St. Croix and Grand Cayman. You will find what you are after there and you won't have to worry about your safety.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been to Jamicia 20 plus times in the last ten years and Couples Sans Souci is one of the best.

http://couples.com/sans-souci/

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I was told

Thank goodness that you were JUST told that and didn't have to deal with it at several airports all over the Caribbean.
You should also take into account the credibility problems that have been plaguing you before accuse anyone of graft.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Look on the Living Social and Groupon getaways. I bought a 5 day all inclusive at RIU Palace in Negril for two for $864, I think. We'll be there in January. Jamaica will not be luxury as a rule, but you won't be sitting in the hotel anyway. Samsara is a decent cheaper place, and its sister hotel Legends, is on the seven mile. They will be about $100 a night for two. We have stayed there as well.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mark me and the wife have US Air Priority Boarding and never stand in long lines and have never had anything but great service at the Airport. Coming back through US Customs and Immigration is where they puck with you the most, regardless of where you decide to travel outside the US Borders

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My Caribbean experience was all on my own sailboat and covered three years and was also long enough ago that many parts of it won't be relevant anymore. However, staying away from the main tourist destinations is a good choice. There is a reason Yachties call Nassau Nasshole. Nasshole includes Paradise Island.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Give Cozumel a look. We stay at a place called Hotel Cozumel. Not fancy but clean and friendly. The last independent place on the Island. 10 min walk to town. Great snorkeling ( free)and if you happen to dive, well you can't beat it for the cost.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sponxx:

You might consider U.S. possessions in the Caribbean. I've been to Puerto Rico and to St. Johns Island in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Both were pleasant surprises. Everyone speaks English and most people are bilingual. You feel safe on any beach or on any street. On both vacations, we rented a car to see more of the island.

On Puerto Rico there are resorts called Paramors, which are endorsed by the government. They are a very good value, high quality, reasonably priced. Visit downtown old San Juan for great shopping, the Club Chico in the San Juan Hotel, El Yunque National Park, and Iridescent Bay.

We did not like St. Croix and St. Thomas Islands. They are over-developed and most of the land is private property that is not accessible. We loved St. Johns Island because two-thirds of the island is a national park, which is unspoiled and beautiful. Take your passport and visit the British Virgin Islands while you're at it.

I've heard horror stories about Jamaica. It's been a den of thieves and pirates since the 16th century and things are no different today. If you decide to go to Jamaica, you must stay in a walled compound, some of them are beautiful. But you can't really enjoy anything but what's offered by the resort. Leave the compound only on a group tour with armed guards.

Don't cut your vacation short. Plan on a day of travel to get there and another day on the return. Then at least four days and five nights. More would be better.

Costa Rico is another wonderful place to visit. It's not in the Caribbean but it's as beautiful as you can imagine. Completely safe and most people speak English. The country has no army. In 1948, they disbanded the army and started spending that money on free health care for everyone. They are allies of the U.S. and they figure that we will protect them from foreign invaders, which is probably true.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Guys,
Thanks for the info and tips. We have been to the Bahamas with some friends on their yacht and Nassau was not appealing at all. That was ruled out quite easily.
KC, this is somewhat of a vacation and some "forced" time. I have 3 floating days to take off or I loose them by Dec31. I work in an ICU, so still work on Federal holidays, etc, so I get a day to take off each quarter. They expire at the end of the year, but I will be working in late december, so can't take them then, plus we don't have family here and one of my SIL is coming to take car of the kids.
Language wise we are native spanish speakers, and out english is quite decent, so we would get by pretty much anywhere that creole or flemish are not the only languages spoken.
We have been to Puerto Rico too, and years ago when I was a swimmer I went to Guadaloupe (French territory)
The reality is, this would be our first trip without kids since our oldest was born 5 years ago, so relaxing will trump tourism this time. All inclusive saves complications and you can forget about everything while there.

Belize, Cancun, Punta Cana have some direct flights from Houston, so that could help instead of bouncing around in the air instead of laying in the sand (or diving in the reefs).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
don't you just love first world problems?

where to go on vacation?

happy for you, hope it's all you dreamed of wherever you land

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yep,
First vacation without kids in over 3 years!
I lived in the 3rd world long enough to appreciate the first one smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've been to "all-inclusive" resorts a few times. It doesn't seem worth the added cost unless you plan to overeat and drink excessively.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not been, but friends of mine went to Bonaire a couple of times and really liked it, especially for diving. I've texted them to get their input.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Bitter End Yacht Club- british virgin Islands....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There's always GITMO, I loved my time there. Decent beaches, good recreation, great fishing and diving, plenty of sun, Hard to get to, though, you need to be cleared, related to someone on base, or a terrorist. wink

Last edited by old70; 11/25/14.
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
http://www.sandals.com/main/grande/gl-home/

take the private bungalow option

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Was in Bonaire in 2012. It is a top notch dive destination but if you don't dive, you won't find enough to do for a weeks vacation. Bonaire is built around the dive industry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.