-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
is a very entertaining book that I found by accident. Written by Robert Leslie Smith and found at Amazon. I have it on my Kindle. It's described as "Raw materials for the good life in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta. It describes the author's family and how they made a living by logging in the delta region of Alabama.

It's especially interesting to me because I catfished many years just about the area he describes and almost all the names of the Alabama River points are recognizable. It's an easy read and describes in great detail how the loggers lived in logging camps and how they got logs from the swamp to the mills. I cannot read descriptions of various riggings they used and visualize the rig very well; it's always been a shortcoming with me but I think most of you will really enjoy the book.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That is very interesting Mickey. I'll definitely check it out. I read awhile back about some prospectors looking for sunken treasures (mainly juniper and cypress) in the delta. Their biggest obstacle continues to be getting the logs out. It is truly a fascinating place and a treasure to our state. Forever Wild has acquired a large chunk of the delta and is continuously trying to gain more.
I was invited on a hog hunt on the delta 2 weeks ago. We didn't kill any hogs but saw a few deer. We were on a family tree farm that has been managed successfully for many generations now.
Ben Raines, an outdoor writer and enthusiast, has been working on a project documenting and "under water forest" in the Gulf, not far from Fort Morgan. This is where the delta once used to be. I've seen some pictures of massive cypress stumps out there. It is a living and breathing natural reef.
Good stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sounds like the logging done in Florida, back in the day. Georgia as well. Okefenokee Swamp, around Fargo Georgia, was full of logging camps. They floated the logs down the Suwanee River to the coast, then shipped them by schooner.
Many of the logs sunk, and are now being harvested from the river bottom. These logs, old growth Pine and Cypress, command stupid high prices.

http://threeriversheartpine.com/a-breif-history-of-heart-pine/

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/29/14.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 257Bob, 12344mag, 22250rem, 61 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.