Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Here's another point I'll drive home:

CLP works in -30.

Now STFU and go play with your dolls.

Travis

Seems better to go with actual recorded weather data and the tested temperature ranges of lubricants instead of baseless/false blathering from an habitual liar such as yourself.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sherp, if you were standing in front of me swearing something on the bible I would not believe you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sherp, if you were standing in front of me swearing something on the bible I would not believe you.

I didn't swear anything nor did I need to. Just shared the info from the TM and written weather reports.

Now, why do you not believe me exactly? Is it because I support police officers in what ever they say or do much like they support each other? If so, why do you hate police?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would recommend "lightly lubed" in the coldest of weather.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I think axle grease "might" be a problem in cold weather but maybe not, Formidilosus uses grease in his.

I mix gear oil with Remoil. I thin it for winter and leave it heavier in the summer. It's even used gear oil that has set for several months to let the heavy stuff settle to the bottom of the jug.

Yea, I'm a cheapskate.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use regular Breakfree CLP in Michigan and have no problems. Then again, I consider much below 20 degrees too cold.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I use Mobil1 and haven't had a problem. I shoot in the 30s a few times a year and it was in the low twenties once. I'm sure others have a lot more experience with the cold.

Mobil 1 works fine at -25F. Full power 5.56 loads also help as short stroking is the most common issue in deep cold.

Originally Posted by 4321
A Nickel Boron BCG, dry as a bone.

I have not had good luck dry with or without NiB.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Originally Posted by 4321
A Nickel Boron BCG, dry as a bone.

I have not had good luck dry with or without NiB.

A dry gun won't run for hundreds of rounds of course, that carbon has to go somewhere. It will run for a while. The enemy of an AR in sub-zero weather is moisture more than the cold. Keep the dust cover closed, and above all else, don't bring it in and out of warm buildings or vehicles. Leave it in the cold and its more apt to go bang.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have used this for a few years but never subjected it to -100 degree's.

EXTREME HEAT AND COLD
Slip 2000 EWL has a temperature range of -100 degrees
F to a +1250 degrees F so it will not freeze, become
sticky or tacky or slow down in cold weather.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
OP - CLP will work down to -30F. Yes, I've done it. LAW is better, but we didn't have much of it. Go figure, an Artic unit without Artic weight oil.

Fast forward 25 years, I'd use the Slip 2000 and make use of the tech available today.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Mobil 1 synthetic, works great and is cheap. I used it last year during the polar vortex when it got down to almost 40 degrees........so there's that. wink

Much colder than that and my life depends on Folgers.

Last edited by CBMJR; 12/01/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I am using frog lube and my AR is stored in the trunk. It was -18 the other day and I broke it out and ran a mag through it with no problem. The .22 conversion kits get a little sticky and needs to be extremely clean to run properly.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys for the advice. I used synthetic motor oil i had on the bolt. I only shot 20 or so rounds in the cold and kept the dust cover closed all the time i wasnt running and gunning.

I appreciate the advice towards the slip 2000. I like what i hear regarding that.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess having used an AR extensively in the extreme cold for years, I've been doing it all wrong. Here I've just been wiping the carrier group with a light coat of WD-40 after cleaning it and shooting stuff. I should have been buying fancy lubricants or using motor oil. Never worried about closing the dust cover either. Slam in a mag, rack the charging handle and tap the forward assist. Goes bang every time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ranger1
I should have been buying fancy lubricants or using motor oil. Never worried about closing the dust cover either.

Geez, what kinda "ranger" are you? The Rangers I know would've done more pushups than Jack LaLanne if they hadn't kept that dust cover closed. Dirt ain't as much of a problem as snow/ice.

Never tried it but WD40 and a wipe-down would probably work as WD displaces water/moisture and it is mostly kerosene so that should stay liquid to a low temp, I think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Totally different situation. I'm not doing the 3-5 second rush on coyotes. I even use the sling! The dust cover is great if you're abusing your rifle, I don't feel the need when I'm walking 400 yards from the pickup and calling a dozen or so times in a day. No snow, ice, or dirt in my AR or my bolt action, if that's what I choose to use that day. It's not a bad idea to close it, just not really necessary in a normal hunting situation. A little common sense goes a long ways when approaching most of life's problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
guessing rangers done more shooting in actual real cold than most...hell half the Alaskan crew on here has warmer winters than we do.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WD-40 works on arthritis as well, a friends mom sprays her knees once a day, wipes them down leaving a light coat on them and then walks 5 miles in sub zero temperatures to the local Walmart to buy Little Friskies Tuna delights for her cat. She has left her dust cover open a time or two as well but at 90 most people just don't pay any attention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1
I guess having used an AR extensively in the extreme cold for years, I've been doing it all wrong. Here I've just been wiping the carrier group with a light coat of WD-40 after cleaning it and shooting stuff. I should have been buying fancy lubricants or using motor oil. Never worried about closing the dust cover either. Slam in a mag, rack the charging handle and tap the forward assist. Goes bang every time.

Never to late to learn. WD-40 is pretty far down the list of firearm lubricants. Better than nothing, but then again Pat Rodgers did a stunt where he lubed his AR with Vagasil.
grin grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pat "Moose Cock" Rodgers is one funny SOB. WD40 ain't never been a proper lubricant but it works wonders on M16's that have been rained on everyday for three weeks so you can turn them in to the arms room and clean them tommorrow. It actually loosens carbon fairly well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,980
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.