Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I am Going to have cataract surgery on one of my eyes during deer season.

Will recoil from rifle do any harm to the eye, if say the next day I go deer hunting and shoot rifle once or twice at a deer?

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eyeball who spends a fair bit of time on the main forum is an eye doc.....prolly worth posting there

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't remember for sure but I think they told me not to shoot for a week. I had mine done in the summer, so it was no big deal. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I wouldn't go to my doctor for handloading advice, this shooting question is probably one to pose to a ophthalmologist.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hope there is one on here that will respond as my doctor is a non shooter or hunter and would likely just give average advice of "dont do anything for a week or two"

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ask your surgeon. I had both of mine done in 2012. If I remember correctly, it takes the implanted lense several weeks to securely attach inside your eye. I'm thinking 4 to 6 weeks. Your surgeon can answer your question. I had mine done a couple of months before deer season so there wouldn't be a problem.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Friend had cataract surgery on a Tuesday, shot fifty targets at trap the next day. When he had the second eye done, the subject of shooting came up. Doc said at least a week, better two. When my friend told him he had shot the next day after the first one, the doc chewed him out, said he was very lucky not to have damaged the eye.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Dagburnit, beginning to sound like maybe I need to get my hunting over with before the surgery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I had both my eyes done several years ago my surgeon told me to lay off any recoil for a couple of weeks at least. Fear of detached retina I think he said. He was also a shooter so I believed him.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yup....had mine done in August and the good-looking Doc was not terribly concerned but did recommend two weeks before shooting high recoil stuff. She was more concerned about safety glasses to prevent injury after surgery.

Worked out just fine and three weeks later I was shooting heavy goose loads.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doc Eyeball will know the answer. I'd trust whatever he says.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good advice from folks here....I had my shooting eye done several years ago and never asked as I didn't think of it.....I really can't see that the recoil of something like a .243 or .257 Roberts would hurt a thing....but the smart thing is to ask someone that knows.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bcraig
Dagburnit, beginning to sound like maybe I need to get my hunting over with before the surgery.

You shouldn't drive, bend over and pick anything of weight or shoot for at least a week and preferably two.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
New techniques now often use clear corneal incisions with no sutures. Base of thumb to eye on shot or significant jar could open the suture-less incision and aqueous humor would be released from the anterior chamber of the eye resulting in vitreous prolapse and retinal detachment in essentially a flat eye. The iris and lens implant would impinge on the corneal endothelium and the cornea would de compensate (dissolve).

This is not even contemplating the possibility of retinal detachment as a result of vitreous traction in a recently traumatized eye.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Generally cataracts aren't an emergency, so schedule that surgery around hunting season.

I had a macular hole necessitating a vitrectomy last Spring. The gas bubble they put in the eye causes a cataract. So, I'm seeing halos and blurred vision out of that eye and know that's what I have.

Thankfully, my shooting eye is corrected to 20/20. In fact, I just got back from the range, shooting my 26 Nosler and .240, both going half MOA at 400 yds. Shot my 6.5-284 a little over an inch at 400 a few weeks ago. That's pushing a quarter MOA. So, I can still shoot and see, at least out of one eye.

Cataract surg.? Not me, not now. Maybe this Spring... smile

Man's gotta have his priorities... cool

DF

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks everyone
Doc eyeball your info is especially appreciated !

I am going to be content with eating deer chili from a doe I have already taken this year(got a 200 pound 9 point as well)

Once again, thank everyone for the input and help.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
eyeball was of great help and encouragement when I was facing my eye surgery. He's there and willing to help.

The Fire is about a lot more than just shooting... smile

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Fire is about a lot more than just shooting... smile

Very true. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My cataract surgery a few years ago was done by a doctor who happened to be a shooter. I asked that very question. He told me that after about a month when healing would be complete, it was OK to shoot anything you would normally shoot from your shoulder. He said the only eye damage he had seen was when people let their scopes hit them in the eye.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
This was a good thread to find, had my right eye done this morning, follow up appointment is tomorrow. I will ask Dr about recovery time to shoot. It was so easy. I need to beat my own ass for not having this done years ago. Even with this patch with holes over my eye, my vision is way better already. I’m a Dumass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.