Print Thread
Hop To
#9377502 11/30/14
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Has anybody had much experience here or seen any information on an extensive review/torture testing?

I know the very thin plex reticle has been changed. Has anybody seen the new one? How does it compare to the z3 reticle?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anybody had much experience here or seen any information on an extensive review/torture testing?

A couple years back I purchased a Swarovski z5 5-25X52, a Nightforce 12-42X56, and a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I checked them, or compared them, side by side at various ranges out to over 700 yards. I will give just one range since it is typical: At 721 yards to clearly see the chart's lines the Swarovski needed 16 1/2X, the Bushnell required 15 1/2X, with the Nightforce was barely off of 12X at maybe 12 1/4X.

In low light the Nightforce lasted seven to eight minutes more than the Swarovski and the Swarovski lasted about six to seven minutes longer than the Bushnell. I returned the Swarovski because I expected it to be better. The next two were no better than the Bushnell in low light and they went down the road. The forth is the one I have now. It is about as good as the first one in day and low light. That is it is about 1X behind the Bushnell during normal day light and way better in low light.

Now for the review. The first time I took it to the range to sight it in the windage did not move when adjusted. I adjusted for 3" at 100 yards. Nothing. I adjusted again and nothing. So I adjusted again and it went way to the other side where it should be based on the number of clicks I gave it. After that it was okay. It is a Ballistic Turret model. Within 200 rounds it would not return to "zero" but rather went too far! The hawk flew off in recoil and hit me stinging my sissy boy face.

Once it was dialed in I took it hunting. On it first hunt I accidentally knocked it over. The bell has a very small ding. I took it to the range to check its sighting: Perfect! I took three deer with it that year.

The next year I practiced from the prone a lot out to 600 yards twisting the turrets. The day before I went on a sheep hunt the turret was off! I checked the 300 yard "zero" and it was fine.

After the sheep hunt I redid the turret out to 600 yards and practiced more. The day before leaving for my caribou hunt the turrets were off again. Again the 300 yard zero was fine.

When I returned from the hunt I again fooled with the turret and practiced some more. The day before deer season I checked the turret again and again it was off. By checking I mean I actually fired at the distances I expected to hit. Again the 300 yard zero was fine.

I went to the range the other day and the turret is still on from the last shooting session. The scope will go on my new 6.5SLR.

I like the very thin reticle. I have not seen the new reticle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Holy chit batman. That scope has failed 7 different times and you are still hunting it.

JFC... You can't fix stupid.

Originally Posted by herschel34

I know the very thin plex reticle has been changed. Has anybody seen the new one? How does it compare to the z3 reticle?

Ringman's "experience" is about par for the course for the several dozen I have used and seen used. Adjustments off, failure to return to zero, failure to hold zero with normal use, and several complete failures.

Swarovski makes hobby scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Holy chit batman. That scope has failed 7 different times and you are still hunting it.

JFC... You can't fix stupid.

Often I consider the meaning of the words "ignorant" and "stupid". I think I will include foolish. I read somewhere a wise man takes counsel. You just pushed me out of foolish.

failure to hold zero with normal use

It continues to hold the 300 yard zero. But that's not why I purchased the ballistic turret model. I will send it to Swarovski to make sure it is up to their standards and sell it when it arrives.

What variable in similar magnification would you recommend? Let's put a max wieght of 24 oz.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Ringman, your scope is not parallel to your rifles bore.
When you dial elevation you are also introducing windage.

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
As long as the reticle is parallel to the earth, he's fine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Manic_Hunter

You can tell that from a photo?! Tell me why it stays on target vertically but the elevation is what goes all wrong, please.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ringman
Manic_Hunter

You can tell that from a photo?! Tell me why it stays on target vertically but the elevation is what goes all wrong, please.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...15928/Re_Swarovski_revisited#Post9215928

I give up.

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I emailed Swarovski to ask about the subtensions on the Z5 reticle.

The reticle was made thicker beginning in 2012.

The thinner part (inner) part of the plex reticle changed from .07 to .15 in/yd.

The thicker (outer) part of the plex reticle chsnged from .29 to .82 in/yd.

FWIW

Last edited by nyrifleman; 11/30/14.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: Ringman
Quote:
Manic_Hunter

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...ted#Post9215928

I give up.

I don't understand what you are giving up on. What are you trying to say?

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Holy chit batman.

Swarovski makes hobby scopes.

Hilarious....should be a signature line. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Manic_Hunter,

Today I realized there is no photo on this thread. Assuming you are referring to the photo of the rifle in the main forum about having fun at the range then we both have a problem.

You made a mistake thinking the rifle in the photo has the Swarovski, which it doesn't. It has a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. That scope does not give me any trouble. I use the mil-dots for different ranges.

I made a mistake by not realizing the realization until I was thinking about it at work today. We are a couple really sharp poster! blush

Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.