Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K

Entry level rifles are not high on the topic-of-discussion list at the 'Fire, but for those who may be interested, some of these guns deserve a closer look. With the TC Venture line, I'm discovering that the MOA accuracy guarantee on these rifles is legit. I have to admit to having been a little skeptical, given their entry level pricing, but these rifles shoot. The group below was shot with the new TC Venture Compact, chambered in 22-250, which I'm reviewing at the moment.

[Linked Image]

The bottom group is from my own new TC Venture Predator, chambered in .204 Ruger, which I zeroed this morning with Hornady Superformance 32 gr. V-MAX loads.

[Linked Image]

Given its light weight and trim dimensions, the Predator will, I think, make a fine walking predator-hunting rifle. I plan to put it to gainful employment in that role very soon.

[Linked Image]

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's actually been quite a bit of talking about the TC venture. General consensus is they are very accurate out of the box, but have had issues in the past. Magazines were too tight and there have been a couple recalls. Triggers have had some issues too. My buddy has 2 and they are extremely accurate, however 1 had to be sent in for a trigger issue and the other had to be sent in for a recall...

https://www.tcarms.com/recalls

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Yeah, I've heard some of that, but have had no issues with the test rifle or new Predator to date. My only real objection so far is the trigger guard. If you break one, you have to replace the entire stock. Such are the tradeoffs when you're trying to hit a certain price point. However, in terms of accuracy for the dollar, these guns are worth a look.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with that. My friends are not finicky at all. He used to use savage rifles until he bought his first TC Venture. He likes the weathershield rifles.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got the Predator model in 22-250. It shoots ok however the trigger adjustment sucks and wont lighten up enough for me. My other gripe is the bolt is real stiff lifting it up to eject a shell. I doubt I'd buy another TC.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I've got the Predator model in 22-250. It shoots ok however the trigger adjustment sucks and wont lighten up enough for me. My other gripe is the bolt is real stiff lifting it up to eject a shell. I doubt I'd buy another TC.

My friends trigger wouldn't adjust below 5 pounds. He sent it in for them to fix it and when it came back, it could be adjusted to 3 pounds. He's alright with that, but if it were mine I'd be shooting for a good solid 2.5 pound trigger pull. In all, his rifles function great now and shoot very well. For the budget shopper, I think it's still a great rifle for the money. Maybe we should start a thread about the budget rifles and see which one gets the most votes. Here's how my list would look:

Stevens 200
Savage axis
TC venture
Marlin XL7
Ruger American
Remington 783

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ghostman

My friends trigger wouldn't adjust below 5 pounds. He sent it in for them to fix it and when it came back, it could be adjusted to 3 pounds. He's alright with that, but if it were mine I'd be shooting for a good solid 2.5 pound trigger pull. In all, his rifles function great now and shoot very well. For the budget shopper, I think it's still a great rifle for the money. Maybe we should start a thread about the budget rifles and see which one gets the most votes. Here's how my list would look:

Stevens 200
Savage axis
TC venture
Marlin XL7
Ruger American
Remington 783
I bought a Stevens 200 in 223 as a general purpose utilty rifle 3 years ago. I put a Rifle Basix trigger in, bedded it into a Boyd's prarie hunter nutmeg laminate stock and stuck an old 3-9 Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000 scope I had laying around on top. I now have a total of 525.00 invested in the rig, scope, stock, trigger and all and it's one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. The damned thing absolutely bugholes 65 gr Sierra's seated over 25 gr's of 335 at 100 yds.. I've now owned about a dozen Savage/Stevens 110 derivatives over the past 30 odd years and I've not been disappointed yet. All were more than acceptably accurate and dependable for what they cost. The Venture looks like a great buy for what it is but it'll have to prove itself over time before I'd choose it over Savage as an economy rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Entry level rifles are not high on the topic-of-discussion list at the 'Fire, but for those who may be interested, some of these guns deserve a closer look. With the TC Venture line, I'm discovering that the MOA accuracy guarantee on these rifles is legit. I have to admit to having been a little skeptical, given their entry level pricing, but these rifles shoot.

not exactly sure why its a surprise its possible....look at Savage rifles(the entry level gun i started with when i was a broke kid/young adult) while alot call them ugly, they generally werent trim and felt a bit bulky in the hand but they are highly accurate guns, and though didnt come with an MOA guarentee you would be hard pressed to find one that wouldnt do it, often a whole lot better.....granted alot of them arent as entry priced as they used to be 10 years ago they were a cheap rifle....a highly accurate cheap rifle....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I use a Venture youth in .243. I like it but the trigger broke. Yep, the trigger itself. If I was out hunting I still could use it because only half of it broke. They fixed it after I owned it 6 months. It is accurate with Hornady but I can only get 2.5" with 100 gr. Remingtons corelocs, ( handloads) At 200 yds I have done a few 1.25" groups and it seems all the handlaoads shoot at the same impact. No rezeroing every time I change loads.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am a fan of any accurate rifle. If I am able to shoot the platform accurately, then I'll go for it!

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My TC Venture 30-06 is sub moa with multiple factory and hand loads it shoots my pet load in the .3s I run it to 1000yards monthly. I want one in 300 win mag. BUT it only come in 24in barrel and I want a 26 in the win mag. I don't think a 24in 300 is much more than a 30-06 AI in a 26.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

736 members (16gage, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.