Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just picked up an old BLR in 358 Win. wearing a Redfield 2x7 scope.
<br>It has an interesting range scale and extra pair of crosswires above the normal crosshair. The range scale shows a vertical row of numbers from 200 - 600 on two power that descends to 600 when the power is increased to 7x.
<br>
<br>Anyone familiar with this setup that might be able to explain how the system works ......or doesn't ?

Last edited by Canon; 09/27/02.
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think what you have is a Redfield with their 'accu-range' system. Two crosswires at the top of the field, and a list of ranges at the bottom?
<br> You put the animal you want to range between the top two wires, and dial the power until the wires touch the top and bottom of, say a deer's chest. Then read the range at the bottom.
<br> The top two wires are supposed to let you get the range if the object measures 18 inches- the supposed average deer's chest size.
<br> Assuming the animal, or some part of it, measures 18 inches, and the animal is still long enough for you to dial the power, it probably works.
<br> I had a 3x9 with that set up years ago. Found it more trouble than it was worth. These days, with superbly accurate lasers available.....

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Jack
<br>Same system basically as the Leupold. I've owned several Redfields in the past, and never run into one of these , til now.
<br>
<br>I agree with you about the lazers. Now that I have the LRF1200 it's hard to imagine going hunting without it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Canon, I have owned several of these scopes over the years and they can best be described as "ok" with a few exceptions. I still have an older 3x9 Redfield, Widefield, Accu-trac that is the best of the lot I have owned.
<br>The Accu-trac feature is extremly accurate on this particular scope with a 30-06, 180gr Sierra Game King.
<br>With a 200yd. zero it is very accurate out to 500 yds. (This has been proven, time and again, by the use of a 5 gallon paint bucket set "randomly" anywhere on the range. )
<br>This, of course, is taking all the time in the world to dial it in, while shooting from the bench.
<br>The "Range Finding" capabilities of these scopes, IMHO, can best be rated as "OK" because of better technology available today. However, even their outdated method still beats my "guesstimation" when range is important.
<br>The "Accu-trac" function is as good as most in returning to zero after twirling them around a bit. I have not seen this feature advertised in some time now.
<br>Also, it is important to remember that game animals DO NOT come in exacting sizes, ie. 18" top of back to bottom of stomach, or 42" top of back to the ground, etc, etc,.
<br>All-in-all, Redfield still makes a pretty good low end scope by about anyones standard.
<br>Just my thoughts, Respectfully, Russ

Some mistakes are to much fun to make only once.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,318
Posts18,505,767
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.