Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Foss Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I wanted to post the story of my buck this year, taken at our camp in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. My father and I got to camp on Saturday, November 15. We arrived to about 6 inches of snow on the ground, and temps in the low 20�s. For the next few days, I don�t think the temperature ever got out of the teens and we�d get a couple inches of snow each day. It was a great week to hunt.

The deer in the area we hunt feed primarily on beech nuts when there is a good beech mast crop. This year was not one of those years, with no beech nuts on the ground. It took me a couple of days to locate the exact areas the deer were spending their time. The deer density in the Adirondacks is pretty low, but if you can locate pockets where does are spending their time and feeding, and know the natural funnels in the terrain, you can start to see deer.

I�d located a natural funnel a couple years ago, with some fresh snow on the ground. I shot a nice eight-point that year in this area, and it�s turned out to be a terrific little spot with a lot of buck sign every year since then. It was being used pretty regularly again this year, and after seeing some deer in the area, I sat there the morning of Wednesday, November 19. This is a photo of the sunrise from my �blind� taken the morning before.

[Linked Image]

We�d gotten a couple inches of snow the previous evening with about 10 inches total on the ground, and it was a pretty clear and cold morning. It was about 8 degrees when I left camp, and I was settled into my spot before shooting light. At 8:05 AM, I saw movement and heard a muffled �crunch-crunch-crunch� coming through the snow. You can see in the picture above it�s a pretty thick area, and the snow on the trees made it even tougher to see for any distance. I saw enough of his left beam as he came through the woods to know I�d shoot him if I got a chance, so clicked the safety off and waited as he got closer. He didn�t hit an opening until he got to about 35 yards away, and he had no idea I was there. He was quartering to me, and when he got into the opening I put the crosshairs on the off shoulder and shot. At the shot, the concussion from the rifle lifted all the powdery snow off the branches, which then settled slowly to the ground. It was like I�d shot him with a muzzleloader, a total whiteout in the scope for a second or two after the shot. Once the snow settled, I saw that he hadn�t moved at all. The shot entered his lower neck, severed his neck/spine continued through and stirred up the lungs pretty well before lodging in his off shoulder. He was dead before he hit the ground. Here�s what he looked like when I first walked up to him.

[Linked Image]

I was hunting with my Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. The bullet was a 140-grain partition. There was no exit wound on the off shoulder, and I was hoping I�d find the bullet while butchering him. I looked for the bullet while quartering the buck up for the ride home, but hadn�t found it. The next day, while trimming and packaging the meat at home, my father was working on the off shoulder and said �Guess what I found�.�. I was surprised the partition looked as good as it did for it being such a close shot, and the amount of damage that had been done to the spine. Here�s what the partition looked like, and it weighed 88.3 grains.

[Linked Image]

I had to drag him between a quarter and half mile to get to the nearest trail, which included some steep uphills. This was the hard part.

[Linked Image]

At that point, I left him and walked the couple miles back to camp and went in with the 4-wheeler to finish the job. That was the easy part.

[Linked Image]

Here are a couple pics of him in front of camp, and of course an obligatory fuzzy wind chime picture, with a nice picture of the camp.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/alb...ck%20Buck/DSC01420_zpsbf9bd50a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/alb...ck%20Buck/DSC01427_zps922c2b57.jpg[/img]

Thanks for reading.

"The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the hills..." -Ethan Allen
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great pics and Great Adirondack buck. Deer density is definitely low in the ADK's, but you seem to have it figured out. Congratulations.

Great looking camp too!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah nice pics and a good story.That looks like typical 140 NPT performance. I recovered a 139 Horn BTSP IL this year that weighed 84.4 grs. Congrats and well done. Magnum Man

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Really enjoyed the story and photos.... congrats!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Foss
Anybody that can kill those Adirondack bucks deserves respect. Good going, good story. Did you hunt Vermont this year?
I am a former central Vermonter.

Fred

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
nice!! Adirondack bucks are always hard-earned..but most life-long stories usually are.
Congratulations!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Foss,
As has been said, anyone that gets a buck in the Adirondack's has done well. Folks who haven't hunted it have no idea how hard of a hunt it is.
Congratulations !!!
Jay

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Foss
I wanted to post the story of my buck this year, taken at our camp in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. My father and I got to camp on Saturday, November 15. We arrived to about 6 inches of snow on the ground, and temps in the low 20�s. For the next few days, I don�t think the temperature ever got out of the teens and we�d get a couple inches of snow each day. It was a great week to hunt.

The deer in the area we hunt feed primarily on beech nuts when there is a good beech mast crop. This year was not one of those years, with no beech nuts on the ground. It took me a couple of days to locate the exact areas the deer were spending their time. The deer density in the Adirondacks is pretty low, but if you can locate pockets where does are spending their time and feeding, and know the natural funnels in the terrain, you can start to see deer.

I�d located a natural funnel a couple years ago, with some fresh snow on the ground. I shot a nice eight-point that year in this area, and it�s turned out to be a terrific little spot with a lot of buck sign every year since then. It was being used pretty regularly again this year, and after seeing some deer in the area, I sat there the morning of Wednesday, November 19. This is a photo of the sunrise from my �blind� taken the morning before.

[Linked Image]

We�d gotten a couple inches of snow the previous evening with about 10 inches total on the ground, and it was a pretty clear and cold morning. It was about 8 degrees when I left camp, and I was settled into my spot before shooting light. At 8:05 AM, I saw movement and heard a muffled �crunch-crunch-crunch� coming through the snow. You can see in the picture above it�s a pretty thick area, and the snow on the trees made it even tougher to see for any distance. I saw enough of his left beam as he came through the woods to know I�d shoot him if I got a chance, so clicked the safety off and waited as he got closer. He didn�t hit an opening until he got to about 35 yards away, and he had no idea I was there. He was quartering to me, and when he got into the opening I put the crosshairs on the off shoulder and shot. At the shot, the concussion from the rifle lifted all the powdery snow off the branches, which then settled slowly to the ground. It was like I�d shot him with a muzzleloader, a total whiteout in the scope for a second or two after the shot. Once the snow settled, I saw that he hadn�t moved at all. The shot entered his lower neck, severed his neck/spine continued through and stirred up the lungs pretty well before lodging in his off shoulder. He was dead before he hit the ground. Here�s what he looked like when I first walked up to him.

[Linked Image]

I was hunting with my Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. The bullet was a 140-grain partition. There was no exit wound on the off shoulder, and I was hoping I�d find the bullet while butchering him. I looked for the bullet while quartering the buck up for the ride home, but hadn�t found it. The next day, while trimming and packaging the meat at home, my father was working on the off shoulder and said �Guess what I found�.�. I was surprised the partition looked as good as it did for it being such a close shot, and the amount of damage that had been done to the spine. Here�s what the partition looked like, and it weighed 88.3 grains.

[Linked Image]

I had to drag him between a quarter and half mile to get to the nearest trail, which included some steep uphills. This was the hard part.

[Linked Image]

At that point, I left him and walked the couple miles back to camp and went in with the 4-wheeler to finish the job. That was the easy part.

[Linked Image]

Here are a couple pics of him in front of camp, and of course an obligatory fuzzy wind chime picture, with a nice picture of the camp.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/alb...ck%20Buck/DSC01420_zpsbf9bd50a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/alb...ck%20Buck/DSC01427_zps922c2b57.jpg[/img]

Thanks for reading.

Excellent, EXCELLENT story and pictures. It really felt like I saw you shoot. Congratulations all the way around.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Worked great like partitions do.

Ever feel the need for more, run barnes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations. Wish my weekend in NY was as productive!

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice job/story/buck.

I have taken many deer with 7-08 and 140gr Partition. 46gr. IMR4350. Never failed.

I now run 120 TSXs. They fly a good bit faster, and kill just as dead.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice Buck!
Always wanted to go to the Adirondacks!

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Foss
Great story and great pics. I love reading others hunting adventures and it sounded like a great hunt to me. I've never hunted that part of the country but it sounds like you earned that one. Excellent job man!!

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
F
Foss Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks for the kind words guys. I was really happy with him. It can be tough hunting in the ADKs, but I enjoy it. Lots of country and very few other hunters.

I've always shot partitions from the 7mm-08, and it's always been boringly consistent and reliable, great performance.

Fred-
I have not hunted VT yet this year. I only had a couple days back home before Thanksgiving, which was getting this deer packaged and put away. I left the day after Thanksgiving to head out to Western NY with some friends with a couple doe tags to hopefully fill, but no luck there. I will hunt VT during our muzzleloading season, which starts this coming Saturday.

LBK-
Thanks for the kind words. It looks like you and your wife had a great trip to Anticosti! Congrats, really enjoyed your post as well.

Best of luck to everyone with tags still in their pockets and days left to hunt.

"The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the hills..." -Ethan Allen
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great Buck, I liked the story and the pics also!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very nice buck.

Deer hunting in the Adirondacks is on my bucket list.

Last edited by JDK; 12/01/14.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Excellent work on that buck; classic experience!

Not often you stop an NPT thats cool.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great pictures and story, and a nice buck! I do love hunting them in the snow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent indeed.

And November the 19th is typically our special day for deer around here over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.