Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
1911's are wonderful to shoot. I'm a bit of a novice (at least compared to many here) with the platform and have only played with what most would call low-to-mid level examples. I'm looking into getting one to carry and need some help because:

HOLY HELL are there a lot of choices, prices and opinions on 1911's!! Frankly it's bewildering and even people very familiar with the platform can have some pretty strongly held conflicting opinions.

First, I'm not afraid to drop some money on this if I'm, no BS, getting what I pay for. (One of the examples I'm looking at is an Brown SFIII) Second, this is going to actually be carried. Oh sure I'm going to spend time at the range and everybody loves little tiny groups. There's also the whole fuzzy feeling of just having something "nice". That's all great but at the end of the day I'm looking for not spending more than I can justify for something that's going to spend time riding around in a holster. (probably a MS Summer Classic but input on that is also welcome)

There seems to be a number of price points. In the roughly 1K area you've got various Colts, Sigs, S&W, etc. All have their fans and detractors. Next up are the 1500-2000 class that Dan Wesson seems to own. (I've been looking hard at a V-Bob) Some of the Les Baers can be had here, especially used. The Premier II and UTC seem well thought of and the Stinger is really intriguing but I've read where some really don't care for what they describe as a "cut frame". Then obviously there's the Wilson's/Ed Brown's/Nighthawks of the world. Again, if I could be convinced it was genuinely worth dropping $2500 then that's on the table...it just sure seems like a lot.

Anyway, all input appreciated.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, you'll just have to convince yourself as to how much you want to spend.

All I can say is that there are very good guns throughout the price range you have cited & any thing from the low end of that spectrum to the high end can be expected / made to perform flawlessly; acceptable accuracy is more or less a given, unless you are insisting on "match grade" level, whatever that means to you.

I have guns ranging from the low end to the high end and in the middle, from S&W, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Wilson & Christensen, in light & standard weight variants & in both 4.25" & 5" size. All have conventional barrel bushings.

My everyday 1911, for the most part, is a S&W Bobtail Scandium framed gun which is & has been a perfect gun in all respects since the 1st round fired. It occasionally gets supplemented by either a Dan Wesson or a Christensen model of the same configuration........all perform equally well.

If you are really going to carry regularly, I'd strongly advise you to get a Commander length gun with an alloy frame as 28 oz vs 35-38 oz for an all steel version, is a significant factor in all day, every day carry.

Holsters are very personal & you almost need to try a few to see what you like.

You mentioned a Sparks Summer Special & I have a very similar one, the Sparks Executive Companion.

I use it a fair amount but for all day comfort, you'll probably like a holster that has 2 wider spaced support points, like the Sparks Versa Max II or similar design as made by others (I actually prefer & use the Brommeland Max-Con V). They are not cheap & for a reason.

You might also consider something like a Crossbreed or one of the various knockoffs of that design as it's pretty comfortable, similar principle as the 2 point, wide support of the VM II, but substantially less expensive. It is Kydex & leather, whereas the others are all leather if that matters to you.

I hope this gives you some info to mull over & maybe some guidance from my POV.........others will likely have some differing preferences as all this is very subjective with a lot of personal preferences thrown in.

MM

Hers's a pic of my S&W.

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of a Brommeland Max-Con V (crappy phone pic)

[Linked Image]

And here's a pic of a Crossbreed type (crappy phone pic again)

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You'd be surprised at how easy it is to carry and conceal a lightweight commander sized 1911. Heck, the same could be said for an all-steel, full sized, 1911. There are some issues connected with the truly chopped down 1911s that don't exist in the commander and standard sized 1911s.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Check out Commander sized at Turnbull Manufacturing. All hand fitted and extremely well made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by guyandarifle

HOLY HELL are there a lot of choices, prices and opinions on 1911's!!

Yup. And you're about to get swamped withe even MORE opinions. There are a few "Which 1911?" threads in the archives here if you do a search.

My two cents: For reliable function and accuracy, the majority of guns out there are perfectly fine. I'd trust my life to any number of them. I shoot bowling pins a fair amount, and the number one gun choice is the 1911 (Glocks are a very distant second). In fact, I'd say there are a dozen 1911s for every Glock. Shooters vary in their abilities, but the 1911s go bang reliably. Malfunctions are rare and can almost always be attributed to handloaded ammo.

That said, get whatever 1911 tickles your fancy. Since any of the leading contenders will do what you want, you won't make a wrong or bad choice. As for me, my preferred EDC gun is a 4" Kimber Crimson Carry II with aftermarket nights sights. Before I retired it from pin shooting, it had 7,000ish rounds through it, and never failed me at the line (except when I loaded Rainier hollow points too long). Here's a pic:

[Linked Image]

Be sure to post pics of what you get!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like MM have several 1911's that get carried from time to time from a 3.5" Colt Defender to a 5" Les Baer.

For the most part give me a alloy commander in good leather and I'm the happiest.

My 95% carry gun I'd the same S&W Scandium as MM usually in a C5 leather Montana IWB.

[Linked Image]

I also occasionally use a Kramer Horsehide #3
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I�d say Montana Man has it spot on. To me the Lightweight Commander is just THE daily carry gun. It�s size efficient in that it�s slimmer than most 9mm�s, shorter than the Government model, yet still a �full size� pistol for when things turn ugly. There�s enough slide/barrel length to give you a good sight radius and enough slide length that it will lock under your belt and stay put in an IWB holster (shorter guns tend to wiggle their way up when you sit down). Obviously it has THE trigger that all triggers are judged against. But the LW Commander also has outstanding ergonomics, so it�s comfortable and easy to shoot well. It can be configured in a dizzying array of configurations to suit most anyone�s needs.

With a truly world class IWB holster I find the Government model or Commander quite easy to conceal and I�m not a giant (6�1� 220lbs).

Like Montana Man, I carry a S&W Scandium LW Commander but mine has the squared grip frame (they didn�t make the round butt when I bought mine). It has been a flawless performer in every regard, I have no complaints. Since I bought it the other two guns on this list came into being (well the Colt�s just came to my attention). And even though I like the DW and Colt�s better than my S&W, my S&W fulfills my daily carry needs 100% so I�m not changing anytime soon, if ever.

If I were in your shoes, here are the 3 guns I�d be looking at in order of preference:

Dan Wesson �DW Guardian� � Dan Wesson is one of my favorite 1911 builders mostly because they use Ed Brown safety and grip safety and I have a strong preference for both. But beyond that, they build a seriously nice 1911 for the money. I�ve yet to encounter one that didn�t function flawlessly and shoot straight. This would be my first stop for a full time carry gun.

Colt�s XSE Lightweight Commander � I�m very impressed with the current Colt�s 1911�s and I like the current Colt�s LW Commander much more than I like my S&W; especially the .38 Super versions. A .38 Super Colt vs the Dan Wesson would be a VERY tough choice for me to make.

S&W M1911sc � I�ve carried my LW Commander S&W for 10 years now and I have little I can complain about. The only reason I�d take the Dan Wesson over the S&W is the Ed Brown grip safety which I find to be much more comfortable (for me) than the Wilson style on the S&W and the Colt�s. The only reason I�d take the Colt�s over the S&W is the option for .38 Super (I just have a thing for .38 Supers).

So there�s three options I would very much recommend for a daily carry gun.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Ok, I've found myself looking really hard at DW's V-Bob, Guardian and CCO and it's hard to tell which would best suit my needs. I've also got a line on a Les Baer Stinger that's priced close enough to the others that if it was worth it the difference is small enough it wouldn't stop me.

Just to throw it out there I've got a shot at a REALLY nice local deal from a guy for one of Sig's Carry models. Barely half of the cheapest listed above. Purists wouldn't even consider it but roaming the web there's no shortage of people that like theirs.

Appreciate the input.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me in with LW Commander/CCO crowd. I lean hard toward Colt, Springfield, and S&W mainly due to past experience and provenance.

I don't prefer the MS Summer Special or any holster that has the loops on top of the holster - that adds too much thickness. As MontanaMan pointed out, the wider spaced loops also add stability.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't quite consider the Sig in the same company as DW, LB or even the Scandium Smiths IMHO for what the value-vs- cost. That said they are great guns and well worth their cost, certainly equal to the Kimbers which are a bit more prevalent.

The only caution I would advise on the Sig depends on the model as some of the earlier ones have a more "squarish" slide profile then normal. Not a big deal if a guy uses leather as it will form over time but certainly worth a thought if going Kydex.

You've mentioned the CCO style which is a great option for some. The commander length slide with officers grip length is viable for those who's style of dress dictate the shorter grip.

I am 6'4 and 240lbs and have big hands so the Officers/CCO grip size leaves me wanting as compared to a true Commander with the full grip.

If I was in your shoes and had a offer on a great price for that Sig, I might be inclined to buy the Sig. That way you can get a qualitu piece to see if you even liked carrying a 1911. If the price is that good and you decide to upgrade later you'll be able to trip the Sig for what your into it or better.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOTS of great choices nowadays. And very few bad 1911's now.

I will leave the "which is best" to others with more experience than I. I will only say that I have been more than thrilled with the RIA full size 10 mm that I pack all day every day and find it easy to do so. For the low initial cost and great reliability, features and accuracy you get, a difficult one to lose with.

If your carry gun needs to double as a woodswalking gun in bear country like mine did when I first bought it, a 10mm is a good choice, but hot rod 45 stuff is awfully potent, too.

Good luck in your search, and I hope you never HAVE to use it. That all of your shots are fired in fun, hunting or practice.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
A .38 Super Colt vs the Dan Wesson would be a VERY tough choice for me to make.

Kevin, don't know if you know or not, but DW is making the Guardian (alloy frame, Bobtail commander size) in 38 Super & they are pretty readily available.

MM

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I am 6'4 and 240lbs and have big hands so the Officers/CCO grip size leaves me wanting as compared to a true Commander with the full grip.

Don't tell anyone I said this.

I really like mag wells on a 1911 - a great aid for my mag changing skilz. I also prefer a slightly longer grip than the CCO, so I go with a mag well which provides just enough - another 1/4" or so.

Hey, the grip is still shorter than a Commander with a mag well...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Ok, I've found myself looking really hard at DW's V-Bob, Guardian and CCO and it's hard to tell which would best suit my needs. I've also got a line on a Les Baer Stinger that's priced close enough to the others

If you want to carry whatever you buy every day, the V-Bob is a great gun but heavy compared to the Guardian or CCO.

As far as concealing a Guardian vs a CCO, IMO, there's really no real advantage to the CCO unless you are really small framed; it does have an advantage vs a standard grip gun, but the Guardian is a Bobtail & the CCO just doesn't offer much real improvement in printing. (I'm 6'1" & 215 lb & the Bobtail commander sized guns in my holsters & dress style just do not print.)

Unless you have fairly small hands, you're just not gaining much with the shorter frame of the CCO.

The Stinger is a nice piece, but again, all steel & heavy compared to alloy frames.

If heavy doesn't have any relevance to you, then, by all means, get an all steel gun if that's the style you like.

Weight over the course of a day in a lot of different positions, stances, sitting positions, etc., means quite a lot to me but sometimes experiencing things for yourself is the only way to determine what works best for you. You're very lucky if you get everything the way you'll ultimately evolve to, right the very 1st try.........that pertains to gun, holster & wardrobe (unless it always jeans & baggy sweatshirts).

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would just echo MM and others comments that an alloy frame commander makes a really nice carry piece as 1911's go. And you're not giving up anything - I shoot mine consistently better than my all-steel full-sized 1911's and CZ fwiw and for whatever reason.

Consider heading the advice about the CCO, too. It's going to be user-dependent, but I compared carrying the DW Guardian vs. the CCO for about two years. Eventually, sold the ever slightly smaller CCO - just could not tell it was lighter or smaller in daily use, and proved to myself that could snatch the guardian more consistently and shoot it more accurately than the CCO, and hell I have smaller hands, too.

Finally, having your budget means having choices, which is nice. But remember, there's a point beyond which more expensive doesn't mean "better" but in the eye of the beholder. Especially if a guy hasn't been shooting 1911's forever and has figured out exactly what custom touches he just has to have, going with a quality-something in ballpark of $1000-1500 like the S&W and DW mentioned gets you a lot of gun and makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were buying a carry 1911 tomorrow it would be a S&W scandium-framed CCO (108310). That model has been discontinued, but recently enough that they can be found.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by GunGeek
A .38 Super Colt vs the Dan Wesson would be a VERY tough choice for me to make.

Kevin, don't know if you know or not, but DW is making the Guardian (alloy frame, Bobtail commander size) in 38 Super & they are pretty readily available.

MM
I'm not sure I really needed to know that. Great, now I have some scheming to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a Ruger 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks summer special 11 with a Galco gun belt.

For ME, this is the most comfortable IWB I've ever had.

My thoughts on the Ruger are, If I have to use it and it has to sit in a police evidence locker for a long time, I don't have that much money in it.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If my Smith PC has to stay in the evidence locker for a spell, THEN I'll break out the Ruger....

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.