Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Hey Mark,
A 20" , fluted, bushmaster v-match, might be just what your looking for?

[Linked Image]

YESSIREE! Want a pretty custom Mauser in 220 Swift? grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No thanks.
Scopes on l1a1's work great too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by splattermatic; 12/03/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great photos! And you have some fine shootin irons, for sure! Thanks for sharing them here with the pics.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And as to your recoil issues, notice no muzzle climb!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Para Fal is pretty small for me!
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or maybe something like this would be better suited to what your thinking?
[Linked Image]

Going thru my photobucket, picking out pics, instead of taking new ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep, FAL's are the lightest recoiling, best handling .308's out there. To me at least, the handling characteristics are night and day with the FAL vs. everything else. Recoil is so mild in a FAL to the point to where if you compare it to a M14 you'd wonder if they were both firing the same round.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, now you have gone and done it! I am officially in the hunt for an FN/FAL. I will wait for a bit and sell off something I have or try to work a trade deal at a gun show, but the CETME is going to become an FN/FAL rifle. I probably have too many varmint only bolt actions, so one. of them can turn into one or more AR-15's as well.

Splattermatic, I am 6'3" and 245lbs. Are we close in size? I often find that rifles considered too big or too heavy for some folks are quite comfortable in my hands. I almost never can find gloves that fit my mitts, I am guessing from the photos that you suffer from the same ailments.

If you ever want one of your good semi automatics to become a really nice sporting or varminting rifle with great wood and barrel etc. PM me. I also have a synthetic stocked Remmy pump in 35 Whelen that could be sacrificed to the tools of battle.

Thanks so much for sharing your insight and experience.

GunGeek/Kevin, I much appreciate your insights here as well. You have added much value to these discussions. One of my first 'bucket list' post Kidney transplant hopes is a long ride on my Harley and the back highways from SE Oregon to Reno that I drove via car once are a prime candidate for that trip. Look for a turbocharged hot Rod Sportster down your way topped by a big guy with a mile wide grin from a new lease on life to stop by and take you out for burgers and beer. I 'might' just maybe, let you go for a spin on the beast, too grin

Last edited by safariman; 12/03/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No thanks Mark, I've got way too many toys to begin with.
Also, as a side note, Springfield Armory, did import Sar 4800's (Imbel made) fal's in 5.56, that take ar mags!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by 4ager
Safariman,

What do you actually want a rifle to do, as you're contemplating all manner of different platforms?

Fair question.

I am deciding if the CETME in my safe is the best thing to have on hand for the SHTF day we all hope never comes. It would be a plus if the rifle was fun to shoot and thusly often went with me on shooting days for practice.

At my age and current condition I am not going to be running or jumping much of anywhere so weight is a non factor so long as I can swing a second rifle light enough for my petite frame wife to use and shoot. So, I guess this search is for a stationary use rifle for keeping groups of bad folks away from my pretty wife and food/water/medicine supplies. The low liklihood of this kind of mess happening in my remaining lifetime means that if a rifle is accurate enough and has a trigger decent enough for a little hunting or coyote calling, so much the better.

With just a little bit of shooting, I have come to the conclusion others have mentioned in my other thread that my short barreled CETME is a bit too loud, and loses a bunch of the 7.62x51's velocity and power advantage with its too short barrel. As it sits, it is more of a really heavy and very loud 300 Savage. Not all that bad, but better is out there.

A Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, about 8-9 ten round magazines, and a trip to Randy Cain's Practical Rifle Course, if you're physically up to it, would be my Rx.

Randy's favorite "practical" rifle is a Win model 70 Compact in 308 with a 1-4x Leupold. Put a Ching Sling on it and learn to run it hard and fast.

An FR-8 Mauser, if you find one, and if the barrel isn't shot out of it, with a scout scope mount from XS, and a bunch of 762 stripper clips would do nicely, but they're getting hard to find.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep, FAL's are the lightest recoiling, best handling .308's out there. To me at least, the handling characteristics are night and day with the FAL vs. everything else. Recoil is so mild in a FAL to the point to where if you compare it to a M14 you'd wonder if they were both firing the same round.

Except for the Paras. They will thump you.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Big, long, bulky rifle. Fun to shoot. Plenty accurate for it's planned use.
Built well, and parts are not readily available. True SVD's seem to run from $5,000 to somewhere around $15,000 (for an apparent Russian bringback from some war zone). Also there's the sporter version that has a shorter barrel and was very available in the US about 15 years ago for about $600 to $1300 or so and that now sells foe $3,000- $6,000 depending on accessories.

Fun rifles.

Much nicer than the Romanian PSL's which are sometimes marked 'Dragunov' on their receivers but which are not by any stretch true Dragunovs. But, they are also a fun rifle.
I'd rather have a nice AR type 308 nowadays.

Read splattermatic's post.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no they don't. no more recoil than a standard model. pussies think so.

The sporter "drag" was called a tiger.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, they spelled it "TIGR" on the receiver I think.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With the prices you guys are quoting for a real Dragunov, I am sure now that I was seeing something else being called a Dragunov but which was clearly not.

Any other decent semi auto's in 7.62x54R made that someone could dress up to look like a Draagunov? IF so, that is probably what I have been seeing for sale. Makes my question a different animal as a real Dragunov would cost about as much as a used Barrett m-82, a far better and cooler piece of furniture if that is what one is after.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I was looking at a TIGR that was being represented as a Draagunov? Were/are the TIGR's less expensive?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
your seeing the Yugo and similar rifles on a stamped, not milled receiver....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DPMS .LR-308
[Linked Image]
That shoots like this.
[Linked Image]

Damn phone and spell check.

Last edited by splattermatic; 12/03/14.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A TIGR is a Dragunov. It's not the SVD version. The SVD is the full military version. Longer, skinny, whippy barrel.

Dragunov is the name of the designer. It's a lot like an AR where there can be a longer barrel version and the shorter barrel version. A few differences. Different muzzle device and sights. The American import rifles for the most part did not have an internal safety sear-- the BATFE apparently considered it an auto sear but it's function is to prevent an out of battery fire. Stocks are interchangeable but military type stock is much cooler. Gas tubes are different.

There's also a shorter version called the SVDS. None of these imported but some made up from kits and fabrication of parts. Very nice. Very pricey.

All of these are Dragunovs.

And yes, the TIGR's are less expensive. Here, at least. But, in Europe and Russia reportedly the TIGR's are more expensive and preferred by many shooters.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Turn out a brake like this one and it won't have any muzzle climb!

Unfortunately, the buttstock'll jump up and kick ya in the head every time you pull the trigger. That Magnaport stuff don't do on a FAL.

[Linked Image]

But it was pretty!,...and that barrel is the classiest tomato stake in the garden.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (163bc, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,333
Posts18,505,972
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.