Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've noticed a change in things (I think) since my early days. Are y'all ready for this? Are you sure?

I went to Sam's Sunday and in my shopping I picked up a cluster of half green bananas. Today is Wednesday and they are turning brown and the skins are getting shriveled. I don't remember bananas having such a short life. Did I just live through that earth shaking event or are the "Dark Forces" messing with us again?

After a banana starts getting brown spots I ain't eatin' it. It's trash bag time.

I'm worried that this is just another way "they" are sneaking past our defenses. I hope Gus reads this and can't sleep for weeks because of it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ain't nothin' wrong with bananas with spots on them. If they go past that, make banana bread.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Ain't nothin' wrong with bananas with spots on them. If they go past that, make banana bread.

Or throw em in the mash barrel.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't stand to eat them UNTIL they start getting a few spots on them. Then they call to me, along with the loaf of white bread, and the jar of Peter Pan.......... wink

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 12/03/14.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got that right!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman

I'm worried that this is just another way "they" are sneaking past our defenses. I hope Gus reads this and can't sleep for weeks because of it.

Best line of the week!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've noticed a change in things (I think) since my early days. Are y'all ready for this? Are you sure?

I went to Sam's Sunday and in my shopping I picked up a cluster of half green bananas. Today is Wednesday and they are turning brown and the skins are getting shriveled. I don't remember bananas having such a short life. Did I just live through that earth shaking event or are the "Dark Forces" messing with us again?

After a banana starts getting brown spots I ain't eatin' it. It's trash bag time.

prolly just an odd bunch unless you got one of the new varieties they are working on....unfortunately we have been eating the same banana variety since 1836 and that monocrop is dieing out due to a fungus....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rattler

prolly just an odd bunch unless you got one of the new varieties they are working on....unfortunately we have been eating the same banana variety since 1836 and that monocrop is dieing out due to a fungus....

That's not quite true. Although the Canvendish has been around since 1936, we didn't start eating it in quantities until the 1950's when the Panama Disease killed off the Gros Michel.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate green bananas. It's like eating a stick. I want them with blots of black speckles. Ship them to me Micky I'll at them. They do seem to get dark right away when they used to take a week to get ripe. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife makes excellent banana bread. Unlike many others that I have come across, hers actually tastes like bananas. The one thing that I had to break her of was polluting it with nuts (and their never-can-be-totally-avoided bits of shell).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hatari

Best line of the week!!!

Hands down the best of the week and probably the best of the last several months!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I can't stand to eat them UNTIL they start getting a few spots on them. Then they call to me, along with the loaf of white bread, and the jar of Peter Pan.......... wink

Elvis style for me too. The day after that get the nilla wafers and some puddin and let's go to town!!!!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They are sugar spots.

Just makes them sweeter.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mick: you must not be as old as me...I don't even buy green bananas at my age...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rattler

That's not quite true. Although the Canvendish has been around since 1936, we didn't start eating it in quantities until the 1950's when the Panama Disease killed off the Gros Michel.

Gros Michel is a Canvendish cultivar.....Canvendash is a group of very similar cultivars, not an individual type.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/03/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't you remember the old Chiquita Banana radio jingle from the 1940s?

"I'm Chiquita Banana and I've come to say
"Bananas have to ripen in a certain way �
"When they are flecked with brown and have a golden hue,
"Bananas taste the best and are best for you.
"You can put them in a salad,
"You can put them in a pie-eye.
"Any way you want to eat 'em,
"It's impossible to beat 'em.
"But bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator,
"So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator.
"Oh, no, no, no!"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with you Mick, can't stand them ripe. I only buy 3-4 at a time. Eat one a day with breakfast cereal.

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

"Oh, no, no, no!"

Bet you're a big hit on karaoke night at the old codgers home... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

"Oh, no, no, no!"

Bet you're a big hit on karaoke night at the old codgers home... grin

My most useful function is providing a target for younger guys who cream in their jeans at the opportunity to throw darts at a decrepit old goat. laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eating banana's is a treat that I am looking forward to enjoying again post Kidney Transplant. Have to stay away from Potassium for now but as soon as I am off of the all liquid diet I will be on for a week or so post surgery, I am going out for a big baked potato and a banana split for dessert!

Back on topic, they DO seem to ripen awfully fast of late. My wife still can eat them but we only buy 2 or 3 at a time now because they are just for her and she is like Mickey. Won't eat them once they are spotted. Niether one of us bakes so the bread thing is out.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,890
Posts18,518,307
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.