Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 34 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 33 34
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acy
RichardAustin and others,

The grand jury didn't have to just sit there and listen to the Prosecutor. They were able to question the witnesses. They were able to request the production of witnesses and physical evidence; and the Prosecutor was required to produce it if it was admissible under the rules of evidence.

Maybe, just maybe, the group of people who made up the grand jury asked a lot of questions of various witnesses. Maybe they requested the testimony of real experts in law enforcement training methods and techniques. Maybe they heard from more than one pathologist. Maybe they asked for testimony from an expert in the field of cardiology. I don't know, and neither do you.

What I do know is that a reasonably large group of people were sworn as a grand jury. They reviewed all physical evidence that the Prosecutor wanted to show them, plus any other admissible evidence that they asked for. They heard from any witnesses the Prosecutor called, plus any other witnesses, requested by them, whose testimony would be relevant and admissible. After reviewing all of the evidence, that group of citizens collectively determined that there was not reasonable cause to charge anyone with a crime in this death. In other words, it would be unreasonable to charge someone.

Do you guys really want a criminal justice system, in this country, that would expose you, or a fellow citizen, to loss of life or freedom, even though a grand jury of your peers made a finding that it would be unreasonable for the government to put you on trial?

WELL SAID!

Figure, too, that the GJ was 24 people. To indict, only 12 had to agree that it should go to trial. Not even 1/2 of the GJ thought the charges merited a trial.

Think about that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
fellows, just think back a short while in time, when there was a plethora of threads bemoaning 'police abuse', and excessive force. Remember all those 'cop bashing' threads? All those thousands of lines, back and forth, where we trashed cops, each other, the various miscreants used as examples? The college girls abused by arresting officers, the grannies tazed...........

I don't think we can EVER be accused of being 'soft on police abuse', but, and this is important here, these particular cases, Trayvon, Michael, and Garner, are being bandied about SOLELY becuse of the RACE of the individuals.
As others have pointed out so succinctly, that is the reason these three cases have reached the level of notoriety that they have. The sole reason, the ONLY reason.
It's not by accident.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
the main thing all this tells the observer, is that someone, or some entity, is coordinating, orchestrating and promoting these 'responses'. There is just way too much similarity and consistency of behavior and rhetoric, for these protests to be random.
These events are being used to galvanize blacks, and to herd them into 'useful' behavior.
brilliant observation there, thanks Copernicus

Duhhhhhhh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
fellows, just think back a short while in time, when there was a plethora of threads bemoaning 'police abuse', and excessive force. Remember all those 'cop bashing' threads? All those thousands of lines, back and forth, where we trashed cops, each other, the various miscreants used as examples? The college girls abused by arresting officers, the grannies tazed...........

I don't think we can EVER be accused of being 'soft on police abuse', but, and this is important here, these particular cases, Trayvon, Michael, and Garner, are being bandied about SOLELY becuse of the RACE of the individuals.
As others have pointed out so succinctly, that is the reason these three cases have reached the level of notoriety that they have. The sole reason, the ONLY reason.
It's not by accident.
Yes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you have time, read this column by NY Post's Bob McManus. I think he lays it all out there, clearly, and succinctly.

Eric Garner and Michael Brown had much in common, not the least of which was this: On the last day of their lives, they made bad decisions. Epically bad decisions.
Each broke the law � petty offenses, to be sure, but sufficient to attract the attention of the police.
And then � tragically, stupidly, fatally, inexplicably � each fought the law.
The law won, of course, as it almost always does.
This was underscored yet again Wednesday when a Staten Island grand jury chose not to indict any of the arresting officers in the death in police custody of Garner last July.
Just as a grand jury last week declined to indict the police officer who shot a violently resisting Michael Brown to death in Ferguson, Mo., in August.
Demagoguery rises to an art form in such cases � because, again, the police generally win. (Though not always, as a moment�s reflection before the Police Memorial in lower Manhattan will underscore.) And because those who advocate for cop-fighters are so often such accomplished beguilers.
They cast these tragedies as, if not outright murder, then invincible evidence of an enduringly racist society.
No such thing, as a matter of fact. Virtually always, these cases represent sad, low-impact collisions of cops and criminals � routine in every respect except for an outlier conclusion.
The Garner case is textbook.
Eric Garner was a career petty criminal who�d experienced dozens of arrests, but had learned nothing from them. He was on the street July 17, selling untaxed cigarettes one at a time � which, as inconsequential as it seems, happens to be a crime.
Yet another arrest was under way when, suddenly, Garner balked. �This ends here,� he shouted � as it turned out, tragically prophetic words � as he began struggling with the arresting officer.
Again, this was a bad decision. Garner suffered from a range of medical ailments � advanced diabetes, plus heart disease and asthma so severe that either malady might have killed him, it was said at the time.
Still, he fought � and at one point during the struggle, a cop wrapped his arm around Garner�s neck.
That image was captured on bystander video and later presented as irrefutable evidence of an �illegal� chokehold and, therefore, grounds for a criminal indictment against the cop.
That charge fails, and here�s why.
First, while �chokeholds� are banned by NYPD regulation, they�re not illegal under state law when used by a cop during a lawful arrest. So much for criminal charges, given that nobody seriously disputes the legitimacy of the arrest.
Second, and this speaks to the ubiquitous allegation that cops are treated �differently� than ordinary citizens in deadly-force cases: Indeed they are � and it is the law itself that confers the privilege.
The law gives cops the benefit of every reasonable doubt in the good-faith performance of their duties � and who would really have it any other way?
Cops who need to worry about whether the slightest mishap � a minor misunderstanding that escalates to violence of any sort � might result in criminal charges and a prison term are not cops who are going to put the public�s interests first.
Finally, there is this: There were 228,000 misdemeanor arrests in New York City in 2013, the last year for which there are audited figures, and every one of them had at least the potential to turn into an Eric Garner-like case.
None did.
So much for the �out of control� cop trope. So much for the notion that everyday citizens � or even criminals with the presence of mind to keep their hands to themselves � have something to fear from the NYPD.
Keep this in mind as the rhetoric fogs the facts in the hours and days ahead.
For there are many New Yorkers � politicians, activists, trial lawyers, all the usual suspects � who will now seek to profit from a tragedy that wouldn�t have happened had Eric Garner made a different decision.
He was a victim of himself. It�s just that simple.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, very good post, but we al need to realize the great unwashed need OPTICS and as such, all the evidence presented to the Grand Jury, both here and it Fergusson, didn't count forshit. Hence, remanding over for trial, even though he would have been cleared, could have been a wiser move. Also, noted is the fact police have also "abused" (sic) whites as well, but as Ethan says, that doesn't make the news. Sad state we are in and it will NEVER get better.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hence, remanding over for trial, even though he would have been cleared, could have been a wiser move.

Can you do that in New York? Obviously you can in Florida, but not in Texas. A grand jury must indict every felony here, for it to be tried. Also, every homocide goes before a grand jury, no matter how justified.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would take an enormous, sloppy, stanky vagina of a person to send somebody to trial for something they didn't do, just because it'd be more convenient.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Again, very good post, but we al need to realize the great unwashed need OPTICS and as such, all the evidence presented to the Grand Jury, both here and it Fergusson, didn't count forshit. Hence, remanding over for trial, even though he would have been cleared, could have been a wiser move. Also, noted is the fact police have also "abused" (sic) whites as well, but as Ethan says, that doesn't make the news. Sad state we are in and it will NEVER get better.

Would you want to be remanded over for a trial after a grand jury of your peers made a finding that it would be unreasonable for the government to put you on trial for anything? Even if it was politically expedient? I sure wouldnt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It would take an enormous, sloppy, stanky vagina of a person to send somebody to trial for something they didn't do, just because it'd be more convenient.
Besides possibly impoverishing them, every step takes the person closer to a wrongful conviction.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge, if your whole neighborhood wanted you arrested for doing nothing wrong (say, flying an American flag that offended them), would it be cool if the cops arrested you out of convenience and just trusted the court to throw the case out?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Besides possibly impoverishing them, every step takes the person closer to a wrongful conviction.

Yep. If the GJ and prosecutor took the easy way out, what's to say the real jury and judge won't too?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't worry folks,...Prez is on top of it.!

Obama: Law enforcement is not dealing with Minority communities in a Fair way...!
@ 0:50

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am trying to sift through all of this. God knows I am not an attorney, not a cop, not a government worker. I am also not black, nor a member of any minority (as designated by the Goobermint).
I can see where Jorge is coming from. Where I disagree with him, is that side stepping the Grand Jury, to placate a vocal minority, that is agenda driven and unwilling to listen to ANY information that is contrary to their pre stated believes, is wrong.
Hell, even when these things GO to trial, and, as in the Zimmerman case, charges are dismissed, those with opposing views STILL don't buy into the results the legal system, flawed as it is, delivered.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was thinking about this thread this morning over my McSausage n McGravy, and it bugs me that a guy died over something so trivial as selling loose cigs.

However, as someone said earlier, Eric Garner made a bad choice 31 arrests ago, and subsequently made 30 more bad choices.

When Garner refused to be taken into custody peacefully, he made bad choice(fatal) # 32 and called the Cop's bluff.

Even though the wrassling around by the Cops probably caused his heart attack, I'm throwing the full blame at Mr. Garner.

He had many many chances....

Unfortunately, we will Never convince the Black horde it was Mr. Garner's fault.

Blacks been brain washed to the same level of police/white hate that Muslims have for Jews.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what bothers me isn't the choke hold, its the man telling them he can't breathe - like 9 times?

at what point do, you know, actually care that the guy might be in distress and its more important that he live than it is to keep your knee on his neck?

if there was video of me - not as a cop but as a man, lets say Garner was threatening me - not life threatening but general mouthing off and I made the decision to take him down, I had him subdued - and he told me 9 times he couldn't breathe - my ass would be in jail.

and throw in on top of it, there is a police policy against a choke hold or attempting to use a choke hold.

I think this cop needs to go to trial. I didn't think that about Wilson or George Zimmerman

also, I don't claim to be an expert on grand jury's but I can tell you that if you don't have a strong willed foreman on the jury or a group of people willing to confront authority, then they are mostly a rubber stamp for whatever the D.A. is pitching - innocent or guilty.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
what bothers me isn't the choke hold, its the man telling them he can't breathe - like 9 times?

at what point do, you know, actually care that the guy might be in distress and its more important that he live than it is to keep your knee on his neck?

if there was video of me - not as a cop but as a man, lets say Garner was threatening me - not life threatening but general mouthing off and I made the decision to take him down, I had him subdued - and he told me 9 times he couldn't breathe - my ass would be in jail.

and throw in on top of it, there is a police policy against a choke hold or attempting to use a choke hold.

I think this cop needs to go to trial. I didn't think that about Wilson or George Zimmerman

also, I don't claim to be an expert on grand jury's but I can tell you that if you don't have a strong willed foreman on the jury or a group of people willing to confront authority, then they are mostly a rubber stamp for whatever the D.A. is pitching - innocent or guilty.

JFC.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh well

He won't do that again

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by KFWA

JFC.

I guess I have to plead ignorance to what that stands for although I guess I have a good idea what the "F" is.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm not familiar with this case, but from scanning this thread I think Im upo to speed..

A nog with 31 prior arrests decides to fight a cop over something trivial, and doesn't do well. Ends up going to nog heaven,where melons grow wild, and chickens arrive already fried.

"The community" is all upset cause 'he didn't do nuffin...' and a Grand Jury failed to indict a cop that was doing his duty trying to protect that very same community.

So its time for more 'protests' and hopefully rioting and looting so those in the community can get more free stuff.

Sound about right?

I'm going to go in the back room and feel guilty about being white,and wanting a justice system that works....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 12 of 34 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.