-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 34 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 33 34
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a basic question. I only watched the vid once, so bear with me if I'm off base relative to the incident.

If an officer tells me that I'm under arrest and to put my hands behind my back and I don't immediately comply (I'm mean within a second) am I resisting arrest?

Garner certainly wasn't getting violent and was merely acting incredulous. The guy grabbing him from behind didn't seem to give him much time to comply.

As to the fact that he said he couldn't breath, pretty clear that he was in considerable distress and felt as though he couldn't due to the fact that he died moments later.

IMHO the cops over reacted. And FWIW, I generally support cops.

Last edited by Steve; 12/04/14.

Carpe' Scrotum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by KFWA

honestly I don't know. it wouldn't even matter lawful or unlawful - its about the process of subduing the suspect.

clearly no one intended to put that man in a position where he had a heart attack, but homicide isn't defined by intent, but actions or lack of actions

So do you have a policy that says once we are in the process of subduing you and until you are subdued, whatever is happening to you is irrelevant?

its a tough call in my mind.

A jury, lawyers, and judges only want to hear facts. Not conclusions. Only facts.

They use those facts to determine if an officer acted reasonably.

And yes it can be a tough call. That's why after those calls are made, a jury of your peers analyze them to determine if you conducted yourself in accordance of the law and acted reasonably.

Hypotheticals and pre-drawn conclusions have no place in a courtroom. That's why it's a beautiful, wonderful, warm, loving place of wonderfulness.

Travis

Travis,

Remember, she was on a Grand Jury once and they voted. Then, the mean old prosecutor made them rethink their vote, twice. Instead of being done with their civic duty and having the balls to stand by their vote, she and the others caved in, committed a miscarriage of justice, and then just gave the DA whatever they asked for.

Cowards don't care about facts or evidence; they just want to be left alone.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

So do you have a policy that says once we are in the process of subduing you and until you are subdued, whatever is happening to you is irrelevant your fault for not complying with instructions?

fixed

that's a pretty steep price to pay for not wanting to be arrested, even for the 32nd time.

But he had every opportunity to make change.

Multiple meanings exist. All are correct.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

but homicide isn't defined by intent, but actions or lack of actions

Soooooo....why exactly do we have First Degree Homicide, Second Degree Homicide, Manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter etc etc....?

as I understand it

Homicide is the generic term to describe when one person kills another person, regardless if it was intentional, unintentional, pre-meditated or not-pre-meditated. Murder, however, deals with the malicious intent to commit a killing.

could be wrong but that is my understanding

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When in high school i was boxing/wrestling with a good friend.
Joe out weighted me by at least 150 pounds.
I got in a lucky hit on his breast bone and he fell,started saying he couldn't breathe.

Being concerned i got off him and helped him up.
what happened next was he hit me and i think i lost breath for quite a while.
And he clobbered me real good.

I don't blame him for tricking me,i learned a lesson.
Could the same thing have happened with the cops in NY?

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KWFA, Since we are not the GJ, I will offer my conjecture.

You are blaming the cops, when the medics are the ones that were "let go".

So, let go of your hate, and resort to the duck theory.

There you may find the reason for the death......

And for the record, I was a medic as well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4ager

Travis,

Remember, she was on a Grand Jury once and they voted. Then, the mean old prosecutor made them rethink their vote, twice. Instead of being done with their civic duty and having the balls to stand by their vote, she and the others caved in, committed a miscarriage of justice, and then just gave the DA whatever they asked for.

Cowards don't care about facts or evidence; they just want to be left alone.

That may be. I was only trying to add to the discussion for those who may be confused about why there was no indictment in this case.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Soooooo....why exactly do we have First Degree Homicide, Second Degree Homicide, Manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter etc etc....?

as I understand it

Homicide is the generic term to describe when one person kills another person, regardless if it was intentional, unintentional, pre-meditated or not-pre-meditated. Murder, however, deals with the malicious intent to commit a killing.

Please, answer his question.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve
I've got a basic question. I only watched the vid once, so bear with me if I'm off base relative to the incident.

If an officer tells me that I'm under arrest and to put my hands behind my back and I don't immediately (I'm mean within a second) am I resisting arrest?

Garner certainly wasn't getting violent and was merely acting incredulous. The guy grabbing him from behind didn't seem to give him much time to comply.

As to the fact that he said he couldn't breath, pretty clear that he was in considerable distress and felt as though he couldn't due to the fact that he died moments later.

IMHO the cops over reacted. And FWIW, I generally support cops.

Correct he was not violent but he was pulling away and resisting none the less. Had the officers continued to try to make the arrest without using force he could have easily turned violent. They made a decision based on their experience as police officers, I can't condemn them for that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Yeah, but yelling "F'K the MEDICS" doesn't have the same panache to it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All homicides mean a killing. All murders are homicides,not all homicides are murders. People die every day of sudden exertions. High School football players do. Undiagnosed condition of some sort. If one has ever had to take down a full grown man esprcially one the size of Garner, they would know just how difficult it is to do if they ain't cooperating. Someone somewhere is going to die from that encounter and nobody can make the call as to which one. It all comes down to legality.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

its not hate - if that was the case, I'd have a problem with Wilson in Ferguson - and I don't think Wilson should have even gone to the Grand Jury.

I'm not arguing the arrest or the cops taking him down - I just have a problem with the I can't breathe part, even understanding that cops see this frequently from people complaining about cuffs to tight or whatever.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steve
If an officer tells me that I'm under arrest and to put my hands behind my back and I don't immediately comply (I'm mean within a second) am I resisting arrest?

There is no time limit.

Again. The totality of the circumstances would all be weighed to determine whether the officer's actions were reasonable, or if they were unreasonable.

The video does not tell the whole story by any means but most Use of Force Instructors would raise an eyebrow at how that arrest was handled. Not saying it was wrong, as I don't know all the evidence of the case. But it is certainly questionable.

But (obviously) legal in the state of NY.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
" The I can't breathe" part...as item pointed out a few pages ago is what they say right before they try to kill you.

You need to spend a little time on the street.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" The I can't breathe" part...as item pointed out a few pages ago is what they say right before they try to kill you.

or apparently right before they have a heart attack

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I could be off base here but the definition of homicide does not change but the degree (first, second, ect...) define intent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Okay, idiot, how EXACTLY is the cop supposed to know the difference? And, which do you think is really the more common?

Further, why do you think the EMTs were called? WTF is their job?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hate to repeat myself, but for you I will.

You need to spend some time on the street.

As hard as you may find it to believe, besides assault, theft, and all other forms of malfeasance, sometimes these people lie shocked ...even under duress.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Yeah, bad time to have a heart attack no doubt, but that ain't on the officers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What, no answer?

Originally Posted by 4ager

as I understand it

Please, answer his question.

Page 19 of 34 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.