Page 1,454 of 1,842 1 2 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie
VENISON sausage you perverts!!!!

WHAAA?

What kinda sausage did you think we were talking about?? OMG you dirty old man! Shame on you!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, we're on our way back from Pennsylvania guys. Spent two three days up at deer camp in Clearfield County for the Pa. opener. I saw 7 deer on Monday, including a 5 pt. buck, which I managed to miss. Someone missed it below me on the mountain and off to my right and sent it running by me from right to left. Pa. has a 3 point minimum antler requirement. (at least 3 points on one side) I followed that deer all the way across me looking for horns and didn't make antlers till it was all most out of sight. I clipped a tree in front of it as it went over the hill. The kid in the camp next to us shot it. It was his first buck and he was really excited. I had a great time and it was sure good to be back on the hill. We started back yesterday, and we drove as far as just west of Chicago. We'll finish this off in the morning. It will be good to be back home. It's been a long week.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't even seen a deer this year,me or my son,nada.

Went south blackpowder hunting,and the place is overrun with coyotes.
put my son in the box stand,went to the far end of the property on a walk, saw only two deer tracks,literally hundreds of coyote tracks,the day after a inch or two of snow.

I need to invest in a electronic caller,and one of those animated decoys and start making fur. mad

incidentally,the place with no tracks,and all the coyotes,is the same place as my signature pic below. blush

Last edited by fluffy; 12/04/14.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Goalie, a heartfelt thank you for being such an outstanding ambassador for our sport. I hope it leads to you stuffing sausage in the future!😳.

I have never shot a coyote. Never had a chance. Odd for how much hunting I do. But I bought a new .243 last year so look out song dogs!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gopher, sounds like a good time. It also sounds like that kid was much more excited shooting that buck than you would have been.

I can't wait to get out tomorrow and try to get another one for the freezer. My new muzzle-loader needs to get on the board.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mule1
Tzone you womenless ?

I wouldn't exactly say that...grin but yes.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Deer don't like me when I have a muzzle loader with me. I've never even seen a deer of any kind while mzldr hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Until private land became available, I exclusively did the muzzle-loader season for about 10-12 years. Success rate was about 50% compared to averaging 2 deer a year over the last six rifle hunting. And that 50% was with about 300% more days hunting than I do now with rifle season.

Hopefully this apple orchard pans out tomorrow. The wind should be perfect from the north for where I want to be.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good Luck!

I need to pull a new trick out of the bag if I'm going to succeed this year with ML. It's tough to know which trick to pull though when there just isn't any deer around to shoot.

Where did the deer go that I had on camera all fall? Beats me confused

Last edited by Rooster7; 12/04/14.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just be glad you can go! nearest muzzleloader season for me is 2-3 hours away frown

I'm done for the year, have been for a few weeks. but I'll be after the coyotes big time here soon.

and of course there is my elk hunt in january smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Well, we're on our way back from Pennsylvania guys. Spent two three days up at deer camp in Clearfield County for the Pa. opener. I saw 7 deer on Monday, including a 5 pt. buck, which I managed to miss. Someone missed it below me on the mountain and off to my right and sent it running by me from right to left. Pa. has a 3 point minimum antler requirement. (at least 3 points on one side) I followed that deer all the way across me looking for horns and didn't make antlers till it was all most out of sight. I clipped a tree in front of it as it went over the hill. The kid in the camp next to us shot it. It was his first buck and he was really excited. I had a great time and it was sure good to be back on the hill. We started back yesterday, and we drove as far as just west of Chicago. We'll finish this off in the morning. It will be good to be back home. It's been a long week.

Truly glad you got to experience that again GG. That must have been some pretty special memories running through your head...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
just be glad you can go! nearest muzzleloader season for me is 2-3 hours away frown

I'm done for the year, have been for a few weeks. but I'll be after the coyotes big time here soon.

and of course there is my elk hunt in january smile

Don't get me wrong Ryan. I'm thankful for the opportunity. It just would make the day go way faster if I saw something. But it's still better than working or sitting in the house by far!

What is this elk hunt in January you speak of? I don't believe we have heard about that...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
fluffy

I am available to help with the coyote problem. Just tell me when and where..

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've never shot a couote while hunting them. Popped a few during turkey season tho. Shot one in the face from about 6 feet. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can't wait to hear those stories Jeff! I hope you got some pictures!! Even if we have to post em for ya! grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't know anything about any coyotes, but I'd sure like to hear more about goalie's nurses and how he gives them "sample size" sausage. Perhaps a picture or two?

Thanksgiving weekend was the last weekend for rifle season for us. Couldn't sleep so I hit the road solo at 3:30am to make the north woods by daylight. I saw 8 that cold day. Would've pulled the trigger on one, but unbeknownst to me, the scope had snow packed in the objective lens. Oh well. Made myself a hot meal and a stiff drink, then hit the rack - I had been up like 39 hours.

Well, slept right through the 5:30am alarm clock. In fact, slept til darn near 11. Kinda unusual for me. So I made something to eat and take a drive around to see how the other camps were doing. Around 1:30 I decided to get to my stand for the rest of the day sit.

There was a goofy SSE wind so I had to park the truck about a quarter mile further away than normal. I quietly got my stuff on, crank the scope down to 4, and racked one in. I got 25 steps from the truck and by gosh there's a deer! And another!

I was pretty well busted by the first one, but the second was lagging behind. I got a better look and by gosh he has horns! This time I'm really busted and both bolt. I throw the scope up, find brown through the brush and trees, get the front shoulder, and touch one off. Range, 28 yards.

I really wanted to wait the hour or so, but I couldn't take it. I got up there and it was like a red paint truck lost it's load. Well, alright then. I follow the tracks and curiously it leads through the bush RIGHT BACK TO MY TRUCK! DRT. Season over. Drag...10 feet. I never saw or heard it go around me. Couldn't have been more than 20' away when it died.

300 WM Hornady 165gr Super Performance GMX. Double lung. 7 point, 160# dressed, 3.5 years old. Heart's in the freezer. Smoking a hind, some jerk, some steaks, tenders, backstraps and of course, burger. The boys are excited to eat some more venison as we've been out for a few months.

Now, if I could only get rid of this dang head cold.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Don't know anything about any coyotes, but I'd sure like to hear more about goalie's nurses and how he gives them "sample size" sausage. Perhaps a picture or two?

[Linked Image]

The little packs in the basket are the sample size that I give out.

You didn't mean pics of the nurses, did you??????

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dude, yer killin' me here. I did not, I repeat, "did not", ask for pics of your meat. sick grin sick

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It was COLD up there!
[Linked Image]

Every stand needs a warming hut!

[Linked Image]

Oops. RIF Reading Is Fundamental

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think it's a hit.

[Linked Image]

Yep. Ugly 3.5 yr old rack needed to be taken out.

[Linked Image]

Rough day. Slept in. Hunted for 7 minutes. Had a nearly 13 foot drag. Time to relax.

[Linked Image]

Page 1,454 of 1,842 1 2 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 63 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.