Hop To
Page 27 of 34 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 33 34
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by deflave

here is something I'd support. It may be done in more states now.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ed-my-son-110038_Page2.html#.VIGTBMnRVAV

and that may be overkill if we just got to the point where every LEO had a body camera.

I would guess that given the video and all the peripheral information, that Garner's wife is going to get a fat settlement from the City for his death

and as body cameras show more examples of excessive police force (whether you think this was an example of it or not) having it documented is going to ultimately lead to more civil lawsuits that the police pay out (or settle out of court) -
which will result in wholesale policy change within a department.

So even if a policeman is justified within the law, if his actions end up costing the city $2m, that will motivate change more than any outcry from the public.

I don't want to sound rude, but you have a lot to learn about the law enforcement business.

Travis

rude doesn't bother me but at least take the time to educate me
Allow me...my own taxes are maxed out. I don't want to pay for a bunch of damned cameras. Any technology can be gamed and bypassed. This whole thing was already videoed. How in the world do you think there would have been any benefit to having a camera there?

Personally, I HATE cameras. They're already everywhere. If Obama is for them, then there is some twist to it. Hell, if the REPUBLICAN PARTY is for them, there is some twist to it. There almost always is with politicians. Look at Zero Care. Supposed to help poor folks and it ends up costing them more for inferior medical. That's what this would do...somehow.

Reign the government in and the cops will follow.

well this thing being video taped is kinda the whole point. There is no shortage of people that have responded to this video. On the one hand you have a faction that says you can't tell anything from the short video and on the other hand you have people that are saying this video is all you need to see to know that some change in approach is needed.

As a result of this being video taped, I am pretty certain that this man's wife is going to receive a pretty hefty settlement from the city.

So as a result is stands to reason that if cops wear body cameras (see the case in Rialto, CA) that behavior is modified to reduce complaints against the police and the city at large, and in turn , a reduction in legals fees and civil court findings.

You could even argue its a net savings in the long run.

The second issue is that if cops don't have body camera, you better believe the public at large will have one - and that isn't going to go away in the near future. Of course a camera that doesn't show the whole story is going to have a negative effect on the public at large.

If Darren Wilson had a body camera, you think Ferguson would have burned to the ground and rioting/protests erupted across the United States?

Last edited by KFWA; 12/05/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
He likely had all of the chronic health problems that you mentioned...but how do you know that his MI wasn't brought on by a diminished amount of oxygen as a result of laryngeal/tracheal swelling resulting from blunt force trauma to that area...?

How would that alter the findings of the Grand Jury?
Travis

My guess is, since the autopsy showed no tracheal trauma, the point is moot.

If we want hypothetical, lets also assume one of the cops gave Huey a shocker. How would that affect their decision?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

well this thing being video taped is kinda the whole point. There is no shortage of people that have responded to this video. On the one hand you have a faction that says you can't tell anything from the short video and on the other hand you have people that are saying this video is all you need to see to know that some change in approach is needed.

As a result of this being video taped, I am pretty certain that this man's wife is going to receive a pretty hefty settlement from the city.

So as a result is stands to reason that if cops wear body cameras (see the case in Rialto, CA) that behavior is modified to reduce complaints against the police and the city at large, and in turn , a reduction in legals fees and civil court findings.

You could even argue its a net savings in the long run.

The second issue is that if cops don't have body camera, you better believe the public at large will have one - and that isn't going to go away in the near future. Of course a camera that doesn't show the whole story is going to have a negative effect on the public at large.

If Darren Wilson had a body camera, you think Ferguson would burned to the ground right now?

It will not save one penny. It will only consume more tax money.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh I think it will.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
oh I think it will.

Yes, I know you do. So does the president.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You could, but you'd be wrong. Did you even read my post?

We don't need more gadgets. Gadgets would not have prevented this. If you had all cops required to be the size of Shaq with the martial arts abilities of Chuck Norris, then you'd have prevented it. I used to work at a place where we had to take folks down with some regularity. Taking somebody down and subduing them, when they are substantially bigger than you, is not easy regardless of your level of training and skills.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If Darren Wilson had a body camera, you think Ferguson would have burned to the ground and rioting/protests erupted across the United States?

I think you edited your response after I'd already responded in turn.

Let the public video anything they please. I advocate it. I don't want the government videoing me without my authorization. I don't want to give my tacit authorization by being for these cameras. Most people hate traffic cams, especially if they get ticketed by one. This is more of same.

Ferguson didn't burn to the ground. It's a town of 20,000 people and a dozen businesses burned. That's significant but a far cry from burning to the ground. Secondly, yes I believe that the folks who rioted were looking for an excuse to do so and would have done so regardless of a police-cam video. I am convinced that elements of the government did more than instigate the whole thing anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He likely had all of the chronic health problems that you mentioned...but how do you know that his MI wasn't brought on by a diminished amount of oxygen as a result of laryngeal/tracheal swelling resulting from blunt force trauma to that area...?

How would that alter the findings of the Grand Jury?

It wouldn't. The truth often doesn't matter regarding the findings of a grand jury when police officers kill or maim civilians.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Absolutely.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It wouldn't. The truth often doesn't matter regarding the findings of a grand jury when police officers kill or maim civilians.

Oh. I wasn't aware.

Thanks a bunch.

Travis

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The obama army saw the video of MBrown rough up
the store owner and steal the cigars. Yet they deny
it happened. How do you deal with people that deny
your video?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well we are at an impass on our opinions.

I don't argue that the people wanted to riot..its a simmering pot waiting to boil in alot of urban areas.

but video tape evidence showing Michael Brown attacking Wilson would have squelched it, it would have prevented Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton from making their march to Ferguson and would have dampened hours of liberal media building up an antagonistic public. For that matter it would have prevented Wilson from even being investigated by a grand jury with led to the build up and justification for the rioting.

and you are already being video taped by cops with dashboard cams, and a good portion of your day in any urban area is being video taped by a number of police accessible cameras - ATM, Security, webcams, etc.,

but the issue is - in the case of Michael Brown, -the actual event wasn't recorded, what was recorded was video of "witnesses" lying about what they saw, police responding in riot gear to "protestors" without any context

That is the danger of just reyling on the public at large.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spoke to a friend about this 'choke hold' thing. He has decades of experience teaching, and learning about grappling, holds and the like. This is his take.
Fat black guy in NY?

I've only seen a short video of it.

Looks like one of the poo poo's got a rear naked choke or close variation on the guy, then "rode" him with it while the guy tossed the other cop's around.

A decently applied RNC should bring about nappey time in 5-10 seconds. Variables include size of dude's neck- He seemed to be a BIG boy-, hold well the RNC is applied, etc.

Could be like the Rodney King video- all we saw was the last part of the beatdown, no one videoed nice ole' Rodney on dope beating the hell out of the cops FIRST... So since we did not see the entire thing, it's kinda speculation.

Some notes-

*Yes you continue to hold a choke like that a good while after "dude" goes limp, he can die. It's a choke after all...

*A rear naked choke is a BLOOD choke, it works by compressing the carotid arteries, essentially blocking blood from blood. You first feel slight pressure in your head, eyes tend to narrow (depending on subject), then blackness comes. If the choke is good it can come on relatively quickly. I would guess from just the quick clip I saw, that the choke was not locked up well.

That sort of BLOOD choke can give you the sensation of "I can't breathe" but technically it isn't attacking your airway, but the blood to your brain.

Yet another variable is that with a big ole' head, or a fat guy without much of a neck, or if you are losing the first hold (choking arm), you can often simply transition slightly to an air choke, via using the blade of the forearm to pull into the front of the neck/trachea area.

Like any AIR choke, this causes IMMEDIATE pain and immediate reaction. Like I said at the campout when we taught and demonstrated this- people tend to "fight" more with an air choke. If you want to put them down easy, the blood choke is better IMO.

So...... further complicating things is the fact that "dude" seemed to be about four fifty. Big guys you can't restrain well, arm locks, shoulder locks are usually a waste of time, taking him to ground MAY have been a good choice provided one or more of the officers were truly used to ground work, in other words NOT just the short bit they get in police training. Guys that big usually DON'T move well on the ground unless they train ground fighting- at first glance I'd say very very small chance "dude" was a ground fighter. "The ground is an ocean, We are sharks and most people can't swim" doesn't apply to "dude" I'm afraid.

I have fought with guys damn near that size, at 180'ish. I ALWAYS hunt chokes first on anyone that size and while I'll "play" a little bit with most people I try not to with super huge people. I've had huge guys that could bench press cars with an arm outstretched having them dead to rights with a tight arm bar, or caught in a technically perfect kimura (shoulder lock) that have literally shook me off like a rag doll due to their size/strength. You choke people like that. Why? CAUSE EVERYONE HAS TO BREATHE AND EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE BLOOD TO THEIR BRAIN. Size matters not where oxygen and blood is concerned....

So the cops probably did correct.

If I had to guess, other than seeing another 30 seconds or minute of video where the po po's were maybe holding the RNC AFTER "dude" went out- I would have to guess that due to his gross obesity, dude probably had a heart attack.

There was a story going around at a seminar one time about how "back in the day" some grappler that was 70'ish was practicing blood chokes with another guy. Older guy evidently doesn't tap and takes a quick nap. Partner wakes him up, he's fine. Later that day or next, he dies. Evidently some "plague" in the blood is broken loose during the choke out and supposedly made it to his heart and caused a heart attack. 2nd hand info, take it for what it's worth, seems possible though.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh. I wasn't aware.
Thanks a bunch.

You asked.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I don't argue that the people wanted to riot

but video tape evidence showing Michael Brown attacking Wilson would have squelched it, it would have prevented Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton from making their march to Ferguson and would have dampened hours of liberal media building up an antagonistic public.

and you are already being video taped by cops with dashboard cams, and a good portion of your day in any urban area is being video taped by a number of police accessible cameras - ATM, Security, webcams, etc.,

but the issue is - in the case of Michael Brown, -the actual event wasn't recorded, what was recorded was video of "witnesses" lying about what they saw, police responding in riot gear to "protestors" without any context

Once upon a time there was video of a group of police officers using less lethal force on a subject. The case went to trial.

The jury found all the officers were conducting themselves within the confines of the law and were determined to be not-guilty.

I don't recall the video "squelching" any riots.

Like I stated previously. You have a lot to learn about law enforcement.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You asked.

Yes. And you enlightened me.

Thanks a bunch.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you think video of Michael Browns shooting would have squelched things, you might want to dust the turnip truck dirt off the seat of your pants.

Three investigations, including Holders DOJ could find nothing but a righteous shoot there ( old school terminology) and that didn't squelch things in the least.

Bottom line, they don't care about right or wrong and will seize any excuse, no matter on what thin ice it rests to riot, loot etc.

I think you are naive, and you no doubt think Im cynical-and not without reason. I have spent time on the street, and by your own admission, you have no desire to do so.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't argue that the people wanted to riot

but video tape evidence showing Michael Brown attacking Wilson would have squelched it, it would have prevented Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton from making their march to Ferguson and would have dampened hours of liberal media building up an antagonistic public.

Once upon a time there was video of a group of police officers using less lethal force on a subject. The case went to trial.

The jury found all the officers were conducting themselves within the confines of the law and were determined to be not-guilty.

I don't recall the video "squelching" any riots.

Like I stated previously. You have a lot to learn about law enforcement.

Travis

umm...was that a police video or was that a public at large video that just showed one segment of the Rodney King arrest?

see Manlichers post above

"Could be like the Rodney King video- all we saw was the last part of the beatdown, no one videoed nice ole' Rodney on dope beating the hell out of the cops FIRST... So since we did not see the entire thing, it's kinda speculation. "

which is why I advocate a cop wearing a body camera - yes, it will alter behavior on some police but it will also protect police and ultimately the citizens and large from outrage against speculation on police brutality

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
which is why I advocate a cop wearing a body camera - yes, it will alter behavior on some police but it will also protect police and ultimately the citizens and large from outrage against speculation on police brutality

No it won't.

The public will release their video snippet long before the cops get done with their evidence issues, and by then, the rage will be on.

This will be a brief of the most damaging part in edited form. Wholly out of context.

Take for instance the video that TRH posted about the guy getting his rights violated for just videotaping on the street.

Who cares that the guy had a restraining order, and was previously convicted of attempted bombing and murder at the abortion clinic he was taping.

People knee jerk and don't give a schit. No one waits for all the evidence to show.

Shown often enough in this thread alone.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I spoke to a friend about this 'choke hold' thing. He has decades of experience teaching, and learning about grappling, holds and the like. This is his take.
Fat black guy in NY?

I've only seen a short video of it.

Looks like one of the poo poo's got a rear naked choke or close variation on the guy, then "rode" him with it while the guy tossed the other cop's around.

A decently applied RNC should bring about nappey time in 5-10 seconds. Variables include size of dude's neck- He seemed to be a BIG boy-, hold well the RNC is applied, etc.

Could be like the Rodney King video- all we saw was the last part of the beatdown, no one videoed nice ole' Rodney on dope beating the hell out of the cops FIRST... So since we did not see the entire thing, it's kinda speculation.

Some notes-

*Yes you continue to hold a choke like that a good while after "dude" goes limp, he can die. It's a choke after all...

*A rear naked choke is a BLOOD choke, it works by compressing the carotid arteries, essentially blocking blood from blood. You first feel slight pressure in your head, eyes tend to narrow (depending on subject), then blackness comes. If the choke is good it can come on relatively quickly. I would guess from just the quick clip I saw, that the choke was not locked up well.

That sort of BLOOD choke can give you the sensation of "I can't breathe" but technically it isn't attacking your airway, but the blood to your brain.

Yet another variable is that with a big ole' head, or a fat guy without much of a neck, or if you are losing the first hold (choking arm), you can often simply transition slightly to an air choke, via using the blade of the forearm to pull into the front of the neck/trachea area.

Like any AIR choke, this causes IMMEDIATE pain and immediate reaction. Like I said at the campout when we taught and demonstrated this- people tend to "fight" more with an air choke. If you want to put them down easy, the blood choke is better IMO.

So...... further complicating things is the fact that "dude" seemed to be about four fifty. Big guys you can't restrain well, arm locks, shoulder locks are usually a waste of time, taking him to ground MAY have been a good choice provided one or more of the officers were truly used to ground work, in other words NOT just the short bit they get in police training. Guys that big usually DON'T move well on the ground unless they train ground fighting- at first glance I'd say very very small chance "dude" was a ground fighter. "The ground is an ocean, We are sharks and most people can't swim" doesn't apply to "dude" I'm afraid.

I have fought with guys damn near that size, at 180'ish. I ALWAYS hunt chokes first on anyone that size and while I'll "play" a little bit with most people I try not to with super huge people. I've had huge guys that could bench press cars with an arm outstretched having them dead to rights with a tight arm bar, or caught in a technically perfect kimura (shoulder lock) that have literally shook me off like a rag doll due to their size/strength. You choke people like that. Why? CAUSE EVERYONE HAS TO BREATHE AND EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE BLOOD TO THEIR BRAIN. Size matters not where oxygen and blood is concerned....

So the cops probably did correct.

If I had to guess, other than seeing another 30 seconds or minute of video where the po po's were maybe holding the RNC AFTER "dude" went out- I would have to guess that due to his gross obesity, dude probably had a heart attack.

There was a story going around at a seminar one time about how "back in the day" some grappler that was 70'ish was practicing blood chokes with another guy. Older guy evidently doesn't tap and takes a quick nap. Partner wakes him up, he's fine. Later that day or next, he dies. Evidently some "plague" in the blood is broken loose during the choke out and supposedly made it to his heart and caused a heart attack. 2nd hand info, take it for what it's worth, seems possible though.

The facts surrounding choke holds are all common knowledge to anybody in law enforcement that has a brain.

Which is about 8% of law enforcement.

But American society and facts do not mesh very well.

Travis

Page 27 of 34 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.