Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have 6.8, 6.5 Grendel and .308, all on ar platforms. for some odd reason I always pick up the 6.8 when I hit the door. short (16" arp), light and pretty darn accurate. currently I am doing a 18" midweight ARP barrel and will likely be using a vultor upper and a keymod float tube. nothing wrong with the Grendel or the pof but the little 6.8 just fits my needs better..

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillbill
I have 6.8, 6.5 Grendel and .308, all on ar platforms. for some odd reason I always pick up the 6.8 when I hit the door. short (16" arp), light and pretty darn accurate. currently I am doing a 18" midweight ARP barrel and will likely be using a vultor upper and a keymod float tube. nothing wrong with the Grendel or the pof but the little 6.8 just fits my needs better..

Why does it fit your needs better than the Grendel? "some odd reason" is hardly a selling point.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by hillbill

Why does it fit your needs better than the Grendel? "some odd reason" is hardly a selling point.

Some like blondes, some like brunettes. Some like 6.8's, some like Grendels. That all the selling points a red blooded male or rifle loony needs.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by NH K9
"Wins" what every time? For "my" intended use, I don't see where it wins. Does it kill "more dead" than the 6.8? Is that similar to "way over-penetrates"?

Enjoy the Grendel, I'll stick with the .223 and 6.8.

Better BC pills, faster speeds, less windage and elevation needed. That's a win! Course I never said kills more dead or way over-penetrates. So do you have any actual facts to bring to the table? I own and shoot .223, 6.5, 6.8, and .308 on AR platforms. Not knocking any of them but stacked up against one another the 6.5 offers the most.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MichiganScott

Some like blondes, some like brunettes. Some like 6.8's, some like Grendels. That all the selling points a red blooded male or rifle loony needs.

Hmmm, I'm both but for some odd reason I'd like to know more and equating cartridges to hair color isn't the answer.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Grendel koolaid drinkers have cracked me up from day one.

Here is how a Grendel proponent always frames a debate....

"With a longer barrel and loaded hotter, my Grendel will always beat a 6.8spc."

No shyt... Bottom line is the Grendel and 6.8 have very similar powder capacities, which when discussing two calibers this close .264 to .277, means apples to apples neither is going to stray far, especially when those "better BC pills eat up powder capacity"

Here's a clue boys, those "BC" claims died about 5 years ago when the bullet manufacturers noticed that the 6.8 was outselling the Grendel about 5to1 and started making more and more 6.8 specific bullets.

That slight difference in BC ain't shyt on an animal at 300 yards and if your using a Grendel to hunt deer size animals at 500 yards, then there are a boatload of cartridges better suited than the Grendel.

The market determines what is a better cartridge and no manufacturer has given a damn about the Grendel in years.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Robert_White
I have an open mind...

Do you have a link to some MV's and comparison charts?

www.ar15buildbox.com

You can buy both vol. I and II.

I wished I had not asked! LOL, If I read those books I am going to build one. And that is going to cost me money. arggggg.

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Foxbat

No shyt... Bottom line is the Grendel and 6.8 have very similar powder capacities, which when discussing two calibers this close .264 to .277, means apples to apples neither is going to stray far, especially when those "better BC pills eat up powder capacity"

Here's a clue boys, those "BC" claims died about 5 years ago when the bullet manufacturers noticed that the 6.8 was outselling the Grendel about 5to1 and started making more and more 6.8 specific bullets.

That slight difference in BC ain't shyt on an animal at 300 yards and if your using a Grendel to hunt deer size animals at 500 yards, then there are a boatload of cartridges better suited than the Grendel.

The market determines what is a better cartridge and no manufacturer has given a damn about the Grendel in years.

Yep.... To proclaim the Grendel superior at normal hunting ranges is laughable.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have an open mind...

Do you have a link to some MV's and comparison charts?

www.ar15buildbox.com

You can buy both vol. I and II.

I wished I had not asked! LOL, If I read those books I am going to build one. And that is going to cost me money. arggggg.

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Hey I am here for you! Paul is a great guy and the books are very helpful. FYI my 18" barrel and 123gr A-Max with 31.6gr of CFE 223 is getting me to 2542fps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Foxbat

thats really a closed minded snobbish post, its not really about one beating the other. Its about bullet selection and if the rifles typically chambered for it have the right twist to handle it. I am a 270 fan but honestly the selection of bullets is pretty lacking. The grendel does take picking the right bullets to make it do its thing. the 123 amax was made specifically for it. other bullets work well too, and no it doesn't need an excessive barrel, 18-20" barrels do just fine. The grendel would not be my first pick to shoot an animal at 500 yards. but if you wanted to or needed to I would rather have it than a 6.8. If the 6.8 was more versatile and could move roughly the same bc bullets to the same speeds at the grendel I would buy the 6.8 but its just not as versatile.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My post was intended to be the opposite of what you apparently perceived it to be. The Grendel fans are the ones claiming that somehow a near equal cartridge "wins every time" because the 6.5 caliber is magic and defies all known rules of physics.

No, I am not the one claiming the 6.8 is somehow better than the 6.5 grendel. Quite the contrary, I'm pointing out that they are so ballistically similar that only real discernible differences are industry support and the plethora of 6.8spc components available in comparison.

I find the claim that bullets for the 6.8pc are lacking, quite interesting. That was certainly true a decade ago, but Nosler, Hornady and Barnes have probably created more cartridge specific bullets in the past several years for the 6.8spc than the industry has created for any other single round in decades.

Boy this sure is a small list of 6.8 bullets, surely lacking in comparison to the Grendel. I supposed I could also list the 100 or so 130 grain .277 bullets available, which can be used in the 6.8 as well, but I don't think overkill is necessary at this point....

82 Cutting Edge Raptor
85 Etip
85 TSX
85 TAC-X
85 TAC-RRLP
90 Sierra HP
90 TNT
90 Gold Dot
90 Nosler Bonded Core
95 TTSX
95 TAC-TX
100 Speer HP
100 Rem SP
100 Hornady SP
100 Accubond
110 Accubond
110 Hornady Match
110 TSX
110 TTSX
110 VMax
110 TAC-X
110 Sierra PH
115 Rem Bonded
115 Matchking
115 Custom Comp
115 Rem FMJ
120 Cutting Edge Match
120 SST
120 Barnes Banded Solid
129 LRX
200 Woodleigh PP (developed specifically for 6.8 subsonic use)

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

thats really a closed minded snobbish post, its not really about one beating the other. Its about bullet selection and if the rifles typically chambered for it have the right twist to handle it. I am a 270 fan but honestly the selection of bullets is pretty lacking. The grendel does take picking the right bullets to make it do its thing. the 123 amax was made specifically for it. other bullets work well too, and no it doesn't need an excessive barrel, 18-20" barrels do just fine. The grendel would not be my first pick to shoot an animal at 500 yards. but if you wanted to or needed to I would rather have it than a 6.8. If the 6.8 was more versatile and could move roughly the same bc bullets to the same speeds at the grendel I would buy the 6.8 but its just not as versatile.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bullets lacking is laughable.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I never said I didn't like the Grendel but the 6.8 gets it done with a 16" barrel, I have a 20 on the Grendel. the 16 is just much handier to tote around.. for 325 and under I will take the 6.8, for longer shooting, the Grendel. actually I like both very well, the Grendel is a nail driver but then the 6.8 shoots well for the short light barrel it has..

T
turkish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thoughts on a 14.7" barrel for the 6.8? I had my mind made up on the 16...

Last edited by turkish; 04/10/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
!

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by turkish
Thoughts on a 14.7" barrel for the 6.8? I had my mind made up on the 16...

If you are going the SBR route then I would go 12.5".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the idea of a 6.8, I see Bison Arms, Wilson Combat, Stag still make guns and uppers. Anybody know if the Stag upper with who knows who's barrel) is worth a flip?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
get a super bolt and barrel from AR performance and be happy. good stuff and very reasonably priced.

the guys that bash the 6.8 have never owned one, til I did I didn't like the concept but now for general use and hunting I grab he 6.8 every time...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I like the idea of a 6.8, I see Bison Arms, Wilson Combat, Stag still make guns and uppers. Anybody know if the Stag upper with who knows who's barrel) is worth a flip?

I would stay clear of Bison. I can personally attest to their lack of customer service and communication. I've never seen a company that ignores and pisses off so many customers. I cancelled my order with them and went with Precision Reflex. Night and day when it comes to customer service. ARP is very popular on the 6.8 forums. I've never heard anything negative about them.

Scott
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
PRI is proud of their uppers, $1500 bucks for an upper and with a Douglas barrel. I can live with a .250 savage, I mean 6.8SPC.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.