Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
erickg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Looking for two or three good book recommendations about Custer and the battle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'The Last Stand' by Nathaniel Philbrick.

He also wrote 'In The Heart Of The Sea' about the true account of the whaling ship 'Essex'...which was the inspiration for Moby Dick; and 'Isaac's Storm' about the 1900 Galveston hurricane. He's a good and enjoyable historical writer.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Son of the Morning Star" by E. Connell, IIRC? and "A Terrible Glory" by James Donovan. "Wooden Leg a Warrior who Fought Custer" is a good book on Cheyenne culture and his views of the battle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been studying this for some time now. There is an abundance of books and literature on this battle, probably the most researched and written about battle in American History.

"A Terrible Glory" by James Donovan

"Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick

Both these books have been historically researched and documented. There is more information on the battle and the people involved than has been assembled before. So much of what has been written is folklore and poorly written accounts with little historical background.

Walter Camp spend decades collecting eyewitness accounts from both Indians and Cavalry alike to get a better understanding of what really happened. Both authors used Walter Camp's notes to write these books.

Don't let what you have previously heard about Custer or the battle influence what you will find in these books. So much of what was written before was the same old myths and stories retold that were never authenticated and the whole battle and the people involved have been glorified in some aspects and smeared in other.

Get those books and read them, you will be surprised at what you will learn. If you have a desire to investigate more, let me know, we are still researching and documenting some lesser known aspects of the battle...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Another good book is "Custer and the Little Bighorn: The Man, the Myth, the Mystery" by James Donovan. More than half of this book discusses Custer and his involvement of the Civil War. After reading this book, you will have a better understanding of Custer himself and how great a fighter he really was...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrap,

What is the name of Camp's book or books?

Thanks.

Also Shrap, have you read "Killing Crazy Horse" What did you think of it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at the Little Bighorn just a few weeks ago, in the late afternoon.

That place has always intrigued me.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
I was at the Little Bighorn just a few weeks ago, in the late afternoon.

That place has always intrigued me.

Don't ever do that again and not get in touch. I would meet you there and show you some things you couldn't see otherwise...

E
erickg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks gents

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Shrap,

What is the name of Camp's book or books?

Thanks.

Also Shrap, have you read "Killing Crazy Horse" What did you think of it?

I have not read "Killing Crazy Horse", Walter camp collected a bunch of depositions from the survivors, but never made a book of it. "Custer In 1876" is a book form of his notes. They were acquired from his widow in 1933 and assembled into this book. It doesn't read like a book, but it certainly has historical significance and isn't littered with supposition and lies...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Shrap,

I expected that you would respond. I'm not a huge history buff, but if ant history intrigues me, it's the "Western" era. And I fully expected that if there was going to be a knowledgeable guy, it would be you.

Putting your recommended books on my list. I like Joe Picket and Jack Reacher, but a guy needs to expand his horizons every now and then. smile

Eric, good, sound advice here!

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/10/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
erickg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Shrap, I've done some reading in the past and one thing I remember that I'm interested in is Reno, any thoughts on his not being in too big a hurry to get back and help Custer due to his dislike for the man? Any truth to that theroy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

These books will cover that. Reno and Benteen, both, despised Custer. Benteen was sent on a reconnoitering mission first, before they got to the Lone Teepee on Reno Creek. It was Benteen that was delayed in supporting Custer. He did take too much time getting back into the battle, by which time Custer had already headed down river to the center of the Indian encampment.

Reno was sent from the area of the Lone Teepee in pursuit of about 40 Indians that they encountered about 5 miles from The Little Bighorn River and Indian encampment. Reno was to engage the Indians from the South, Custer was to hit them farther North from the East and Benteen was to follow and catch Custer in his attempt to attack the Indian village...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This picture is taken from the Reno-Benteen battlefield looking East-Southeast. I am pointing to the Crow's Nest where Custer's scouts had first seen the Indian village about 15 miles away. The timber on the nearer hills are on the Battlefield side of Reno Creek and not far from where they first encountered the Indians near the Lone Teepee...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
erickg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
OK got it, have my Reno and Benteen mixed up. Remembered that Custer basically sent one of them off on an out of the way mission so they would miss out on the battle and not be able to share in the glory.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From the other side of the Teepee.
"Soldiers falling into camp"
Oral history recorded by grand children of Sioux and
Northern Cheyenne.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erickg
OK got it, have my Reno and Benteen mixed up. Remembered that Custer basically sent one of them off on an out of the way mission so they would miss out on the battle and not be able to share in the glory.

This again, is not true. Benteen thought that Custer may have done that to keep Benteen from the fight and the glory, but Custer's intentions were pure, in the sense that Benteen was to look to the South and West in case the Indians had started to pack up and leave. By this time, their presence was already discovered by the Indians and a Surprise attack was the only way Custer had to defeat a large number of Indians.

The Indians did know of the approach of the Cavalry, but they still didn't believe they would get attacked when they had such a large encampment. They also had no idea that Gibbon and Terry were to converge there within a 24 hour time frame either...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Shrap,

I find it interesting , and maybe even a bit telling, that Custer after he approached the river and was rebuffed from crossing, retreated NORTH.

AWAY from his other approaching armies, supplies and reinforcements.

It lends alittle credence in my mind that he was indeed shot and perhaps unhorsed at the river, and his party, in disarray made a fateful, terminal decision to flee in the worst direction possible to survive.

I would think If he was still thinking straight, he would have retreated the opposite direction, the way they came, after seeing the size of the camp,and knowing the odds.

Perhaps he didn't make the decision because he was already wounded.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another very interesting book is "Indian Fights and Fighters," by Cyrus Townsend Brady, originally published by McClure, Philips & Co., � 1904; soft cover edition Univ. of Nebraska Press, � 1971.

Among many of Brady's interviews with soldiers and Indians who were at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, are interviews with certain officers who discussed pros and cons whether or not Custer disobeyed a direct order from General Terry, before Custer and his men left camp. Many believe it led to the disaster at the Little Big Horn River.

There is still controversy to this day about it. Who knows?????

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Peter Thompson, one of the Medal Of Honor recipients of the battle, was actually separated from his detachment and was making his way down the river with another soldier and actually saw Custer up on the bluffs for over 15 minutes, not engaging the camp. He testified of this in the hearings of Reno and Benteen after the battle. No one then or now gives that statement any credence, for what reason, I don't know.

This would indicate that Custer was in fact, waiting for Benteen as his adjutant had sent a message to Benteen to hurry and bring packs of ammunition as they encountered a big village. Supplies and the pack train were miles back and there was no expectation of that kind of support.

The Gatling gun theories are worthless as well, as there is no way they could travel this kind of country and pull those carriages with condemned horses.

There are theories of Custer being shot down by the river and then brought back up on Last Stand hill by his troops, as some Indian accounts said they had seen the removal of an important person that could have been Custer. Nothing proves this, but the theory still exists.

He didn't retreat North, he actually was more East of the camp where he and his command were killed. Once you see the battlefield, you can get a feeling of how desperate they were as fragmented as they were and nowhere to go. There are also accounts of a couple survivors that did flee the battle and we are researching that possibility...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 24 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.