Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've only seen a few reports posted from up north , I know a bunch of you went up there. Lets here how you did in Canada this year . I couldn't make it this year due to work and am having withdrawals ,let see some of those slobs....

I Kill Things......deal with it..
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was wondering the same thing. We haven't been back up to Kenora in a couple of years. Anyone go to Kenora, Ontario this year?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stopped going to Kenora in 2010. I still talk to a few groups that go though. They said it was horrible this year again. Some aren't going back, others came back early. Business owners and MNR officers said it is the lowest they've seen hunter numbers and deer numbers. A lot of lodges are now closing after fishing season too.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last time we went, the wolves were really putting a dent in the deer herd. They should lower the price of wolf tags and reduce their numbers, and maybe the herd might come back a bit.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had some buddies plan to spend 2 weeks in Ontario. They stayed 4 days and came home. They have been going pretty much every year for the last 10 or so and said the deer numbers were as low as they had ever seen. One of the guys ended going to Alberta and killed a decent 10.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slow. Year from everyone I've talked to and what I've read

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This year was not very good. Deer numbers seemed down everywhere I worked. I did take a nice one with an old Swiss K31 on the first day of my hunt, turned out to be the biggest deer I saw all year.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice buck mb. What is your opinion of deer #'s being down pretty much everywhere in Canada? Hard winter, Wolves, combination of things?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I do not know across Canada, but the last few winters here have been tough on them. Very deep snow and cold temperatures took a toll. Some areas I have hunted the amount of wolves is quite high, although where I took this years buck I did not see a wolf track.

I work in the bush for a good part of the year and this year I have seen the fewest amount of deer in 27 years. The road kills when the rut should have been going on were minimal where I drove, which should make the insurance companies happy.

This spring when I started working in the logging cut blocks I found a big number of dead deer and a couple moose, and most of them were not killed by wolves as the animal was still intact for the most part, some still had some meat left on them .

So far this year we have had a big dump of snow which has mostly settled or melted off. The temps are above freezing now and will be for the next week. I hope this is a mild winter and it helps the deer out and we can start seeing better numbers and better bucks in the years ahead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The area I hunt in western sk is a year or two away from having some great deer hunting. The winter of 2012 was brutal but last years winter was a lot better. The age class isn't there right now but there are a few older bucks to hunt last two season. I'm looking forward to what next years season will bring for some great looking young deer we just need alittle help from Mother Nature.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
SK, does that province require non-residents to hire a guide? I liked Ontario, because it didn't require an outfitter and had very large tracts of Govt land. I believe Ontario was considering a guide requirement the last time we went there,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lightning,
Actually, parts of Ontario do require an outfitter. The couple of places I've hunted were required to use the outfitter but there was no requirement on them accompanying you to/from stand like, say, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I didn't know that Skane. I wonder if the whole province has gone, or will go to an outfitter required law?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That I can't tell you. It's been 5 years since I was last in Ontario but there were definitely spots where a guide was required and areas where it wasn't.

The area I hunted required one but the bulk of his work was driving me around one morning to show me the large expanse I could hunt, I was then on my own.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (204guy, 264mag, 257heaven, 2five7, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,973
Posts18,499,419
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.