Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
� The table that the treaty was signed on at Appomattox was purchased by Sheriden and given to Libby Custer due to Custer's influence in the war...

Take careful note, everybody!

Campfire posts that touch upon history must be as precise as historians' records. Never mind the point of any post. The crucial mandate is to pick the nits out.

(Except for spelling, grammar, and punctuation, of course!)

Sheesh!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ken,

You may want to hit your Life Alert button, it appears you have fallen and hit your head...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Leanwolf]Another very interesting book is "Indian Fights and Fighters," by Cyrus Townsend Brady, originally published by McClure, Philips & Co., � 1904; soft cover edition Univ. of Nebraska Press, � 1971.

Among many of Brady's interviews with soldiers and Indians who were at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, are interviews with certain officers who discussed pros and cons whether or not Custer disobeyed a direct order from General Terry, before Custer and his men left camp. Many believe it led to the disaster at the Little Big Horn River.

There is still controversy to this day about it. Who knows?????

L.W.

SHRAPNEL - "This is another myth. Here is the most of Terry's orders to Custer and it is clear that General Terry knew of Custer's zeal and drive in the Indian wars, but you can see here that Custer did not disobey any orders in this regard..."

"Myth" or not, there was still controversy about it, from several officers who were very close by to Terry and Custer when they were talking the night before Custer left. I certainly don't know as I only state what some historical writers have published. I reference again, "Indian Fights and Fighters," by Cyrus Townsend Brady, originally published by McClure, Philips & Co., � 1904; soft cover edition Univ. of Nebraska Press, � 1971.

It is also interesting to read in that book the account of the battle as given by Crazy Horse, and also the account given by Rain-in-The-Face, later. Also interesting is the map that Rain-In-The-Face drew on the back of a buckskin shirt of the fight at LBH that day. He was the leader of a band of Unkpapas.

At the time of the publication, 1904, that map was the only known map drawn by an Indian who was there in the fight. It is illustrated in the book.

If you have a chance and can find one, that book might add to your collection. Perhaps some information you don't yet have.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 12/11/14.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd bet a $100 bill that Custer would have rather had a few 1-7" twist A15's, but what do I know. Fast twists are a fad...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gettysburg is only one of Custer's little known Civil War accomplishments. Jeb Stuart was the pride if the Southern Army and was killed at the hands of Custer's command at Yellow Tavern.

Originally Posted by TnBigBore

A little off topic, but I have always wondered what would have happened if Custer had come up against Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Yeah, a little off topic, but who cares now?

Given equivalent resources to Custer & Bedford, I've little doubt as to what the outcome would have been.............but who knows, just idle speculation.

As I said earlier, the Confederates didn't lose the war because the Union had better generals or better leadership..........

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Walkie talkies would have helped more than fast twist...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Electronic communications are a fad.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fast twists or not, I imagine a couple of dozen AR's and 3-4 M60's could probably have saved the day.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno - the black powder would have fouled their gas ports pretty quick...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You aren't from the South are you?

They ain't hard to spot... grin.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Take careful note, everybody!

Campfire posts that touch upon history must be as precise as historians' records. Never mind the point of any post. The crucial mandate is to pick the nits out.

(Except for spelling, grammar, and punctuation, of course!)

Sheesh!

I think shrapnel's response was a helluva lot more tactful than you'd get just about anywhere else.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't remember which of the Custer-massacre chiefs was A U's mentor

Closest I've come to that sort of thing was when I drove a pickup load of blankets and winter coats collected by churches in NY State to Pine Ridge in the winter of '83/'84.

When I was there I was taken by his relative to visit the then ~90 year old Frank Fools Crow at his home on the res. Born in 1890 or thereabouts when the Little Bighorn generation was still very much around, and hidden from being taken away to boarding schools as a child. A stocky, barrel-chested man, still hearty and mobile despite his age. The closest I personally have come to meeting a living link to the old days.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may want to hit your Life Alert button, it appears you have fallen and hit your head...

It also appears that I can well afford to get along quite well with fewer brain cells lighting-up with any regularity.

edited to add �

I'd be glad to send you some if I had the right kind of envelope. laugh

Last edited by Ken Howell; 12/11/14.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

You aren't from the South are you?

They ain't hard to spot... grin.

Travis

That was completely uncalled for.......... laugh

Damn Yankees ain't hard to spot either.

Does that mean we can't be friends anymore?

GFY smile

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As I said earlier, the Confederates didn't lose the war because the Union had better generals or better leadership..........

In the East, the Army of the Potomac invaded Virginia several times, got stopped in a major battle each time, turned around and went home.

During that time the Army of Northern Virginia invaded the North twice, got stopped in a major battle both times, turned around and went home.

In Kentucky/Tennessee/Mississippi the North won more or less steadily, beginning to end, Chickamagua being a minor setback as it turned out.

When they brung Grant east it was all over but the bloodletting.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The other thing is, Jeff Davis weren't even in the same ballpark as Lincoln when it came to being a CinC. Whether you think he was sent by God Hisself or the Devil Incarnate or somewhere in between, no denying that Lincoln was a prodigy.

No way a Lincoln would ever have left a Braxton Bragg in charge for so long in the West, neither would he have carefully accommodated the egos of his Generals the way Davis did.

OTOH, Lincoln didn't have to deal with States Rights issues the way that Davis was obliged to.

Off the original topic I know.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The difference is the Custer battle ended in 1876, the Civil War still rages on in the South...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The difference is the Custer battle ended in 1876, the Civil War still rages on in the South...

Not really. We lost the first one. The rematch is coming. Last time, the Yankees had all the people, the industry, the firearms, the military bases, and the money. Guess where the majority of those are now?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager

Last time, the Yankees had all the people, the industry, the firearms, the military bases, and the money. Guess where the majority of those are now?

California?? grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager

Not really. We lost the first one. The rematch is coming. Last time, the Yankees had all the people, the industry, the firearms, the military bases, and the money. Guess where the majority of those are now?

And we shake our heads in bewilderment over the never-ending grudges that cause such hatred in the middle east.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 55 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.