Print Thread
Hop To
R
rdobrow Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Someone was saying they spoke to McM and they would still build this, however when I called today, Kay asked Dick who said L/A only....anyone got better info??
Wanted to order a couple.....Thanks Dick

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just dont get that one? If you can inlett it for one why not another? Makes no sense.....

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I emailed McMillan and asked the same thing since people keep saying you can get a SA model 700 KS stock. Per the email I got back from Dick D. @ McMillan he said nope. They never had/made a mold for a short action, only ever made a long action ADL. Somebody recently had a SA KS for sale in the classifieds so who knows though????

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I copied in an email I received last year from McMillan, fwiw.

"We can inlet for a short or a long action, but they must be ADL models to fit in the KS. I took some time and wrote down all of the specefications for the KS so that you can go over them and decide if that is indeed what you would like. They are as follows :

Remington KS stock

Overall length: 31�

Standard fill weight: 2LBS

Depth of action area: 1.9�

Max diameter action: 1.4�

Forearm width: 1.65�

Grip width: 1.4�

Buttstock width: 1.7�

Max LOP w/1� pad: 13.5�

Drop @ comb: .450�

Have a good day Pat let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Justin Knepper

Sales Rep / Gunsmith

Justinmcmillanusa.com
"

R
rdobrow Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
No actually they did make them for custom shop at Rem. I have one. They must have a mold, but for the life of me don't know why they won't make it.

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I always thought that would be a good stock I have one in long. Had me thinking after that one came up for sale awhile ago

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rdobrow
No actually they did make them for custom shop at Rem. I have one. They must have a mold, but for the life of me don't know why they won't make it.

You have a short action model 700 KS stock from McMillan??? Is it the one that was in the classifieds recently? I know they made the model 7 Custom Shop KS stocks but never seen a 700 short action. Maybe DickD will see this and chime in to clear it up.

"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Guy's, The reason we only have a long action KS is that they have a long action ejection port molded into them. I suppose if you want one inletted for a short action and don't mind the long action ejection port then we can do that.
At one time the custom shop ordered about 100 of the KS's for short action's so we made one mold for them. Apparently they did not sell well and Remington told us they were dropping them and never ordered any more stocks. After the mold set around for a couple of years with no use we broke it down to re-use the metal parts for another project.
Not very many of these KS stocks get ordered, not more that 3 or 4 a year. We can't keep setting up a big CNC machine just to inlet one stock as it costs us more to inlet it that we make on the stock. We will keep one KS mold and one model 7 KS mold to made a few stocks for warrantee use as required but any private orders for one of them will have a $100 inletting surcharge for them to make up for this. Sorry, but business is business. Things come, they change, they go and we move along.
Dick at McMillans.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
PS: The inletting surcharge on the KS stocks starts Jan. 1, 2015.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the info Dick. Do you think more KS stocks would sell if you had them listed on your site?

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
P.P.S. Every once in a while we discontinue some of our stock models that just are not selling enough to justify keeping them in our line. The models we are discontinuing this year are the Modified 40X ( Mod. 40X), the M2A ( the pistol grip M1A stock) and the old short forearm Tac-50 stock. We didn't sell more that one or two of the Mod.40X and the M2A per year for the last couple of years and the Tac-50 has been replaced by the
Tac-50 A1 stock to take care of some of the complaints about the original stock design.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I emailed McMillan and asked the same thing since people keep saying you can get a SA model 700 KS stock. Per the email I got back from Dick D. @ McMillan he said nope. They never had/made a mold for a short action, only ever made a long action ADL. Somebody recently had a SA KS for sale in the classifieds so who knows though????

Well thats a bit different, if they didnt have a mold.... That I can understand

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is unfortunate about the short action KS. I just painted the one rdobrow owns, and it is a really nice pattern.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Justin, one of our sales reps, is a really nice guy and knows our products quite well. He's also a graduate of a good gunsmithing school so he knows firearms quite well. He's been with us for, I don't know, 6 or 8 years, both out in the shop and in on a sales desk. But he just wasn't here 10 or 15 years ago when we started making all the KS stocks for Remington and didn't realize that the ejection ports were molded into the stocks. We don't normally do this but Remington wanted a beveled and downward slanting port in the custom shop stocks so we had to mold these in and that made them action length specific.
Each of our molds costs us about $3000 to $3500 to make and about half of that is in the aluminum bodies and other parts that can be reused for a new stock project. That's a lot of money to leave setting on a shelf not being used so that's why we break some of the old molds down and the stock design just goes away. We normally keep a master pattern of the design in storage in case we ever want to re-introduce a stock design for some purpose but it normally takes a initial order of 50 to 80 stocks up front to justify making a new mold and new inletting fixtures again. Again, just business.
The KS stocks really aren't that much different than our Remington Sporter design and our Remington Mountain Rifle design, mostly the forearm is about half way between these two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
just get a remington classic with edge technology. the KS stock isn't that cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll admit maybe I misunderstood Dicks email regarding the mold, when he told me there wasn't one for a SA I assumed they never had one, appears they did at one time but its gone. If I had one of those 100 KS SA stocks I'd hang onto it that's for sure.

"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dick, if a bunch of us came up with a stock pattern, and made a group order of 50 to 80 stocks, would you guys build a mold?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.