Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For real concealed carry in an almost 1911 pistol I prefer the SIG P938 in 9mm. As small a semiautomatic as is practical.

For a gun in 45 ACP, I'd carry my Kimber 1911 Eclipse model with a 4" barrel.

BTW, my S&W 340PD scandium J frame in a pocket hostel is my first "always carry" choice.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 12/03/14.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Like several others have said, I prefer a Commander size 1911 for carry. This old timer is a Series 70, with some of this, and some of that done to it. It is almost perfect as a CCW piece. I carry it in leather by Sam Andrews.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
1911's are wonderful to shoot. I'm a bit of a novice (at least compared to many here) with the platform and have only played with what most would call low-to-mid level examples. I'm looking into getting one to carry and need some help because:

HOLY HELL are there a lot of choices, prices and opinions on 1911's!! Frankly it's bewildering and even people very familiar with the platform can have some pretty strongly held conflicting opinions.

First, I'm not afraid to drop some money on this if I'm, no BS, getting what I pay for. (One of the examples I'm looking at is an Brown SFIII) Second, this is going to actually be carried. Oh sure I'm going to spend time at the range and everybody loves little tiny groups. There's also the whole fuzzy feeling of just having something "nice". That's all great but at the end of the day I'm looking for not spending more than I can justify for something that's going to spend time riding around in a holster. (probably a MS Summer Classic but input on that is also welcome)

There seems to be a number of price points. In the roughly 1K area you've got various Colts, Sigs, S&W, etc. All have their fans and detractors. Next up are the 1500-2000 class that Dan Wesson seems to own. (I've been looking hard at a V-Bob) Some of the Les Baers can be had here, especially used. The Premier II and UTC seem well thought of and the Stinger is really intriguing but I've read where some really don't care for what they describe as a "cut frame". Then obviously there's the Wilson's/Ed Brown's/Nighthawks of the world. Again, if I could be convinced it was genuinely worth dropping $2500 then that's on the table...it just sure seems like a lot.

Anyway, all input appreciated.

IMO, the best "carry" 1911 is a Commander-style with alloy frame. (Colt, Kimber,etc.) and you can get these used for under $1K easily.

The Commander is still shootable (3" barrel officers are not so much).

Personally, I've been very happy with my Series 1 SS Pro-Carry. I used to carry a full-size steel 1911, which other than being heavier was OK, but when IWB it would "stand up" when I sat down. Also used to carry a Glock 19, which was great except for the blockiness.

I'm one of those guys who would rather have 4 G23's instead of one nice 1911.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The S&W Scandium Gunsite Commander is a SWEET piece. That'd be one I'd be looking for, if I didn't already have my CCW needs well covered.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last night I just picked up a Kimber Pro Carry SLE (Stainless Limited Edition). I will have to call Kimber and see when it was made. After reading up on it, I guess it is a First production of their all stainless Pro Carry II HD model without the firing pin block safety (Swartz). Will have to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and head to the range next week. Also picked up 2 Wilson 7rd mags for it.

Clos

NRA Life Member

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First, let me say I love 1911's, .45acp is my favorite handgun cartridge, and I've owned many of them over the last 50 years. That said, after acquiring a Springfield XDS, I've never been happier. A .45 about the size of many .380's without hammers, safeties, or anything else to snag on clothing is really nice. Add to that the fact it's accurate, reliable, a pleasure to shoot, and reasonably priced. I still feel if you have only one gun, a full size 1911 is the "one" to have. However, for "packing" the XDS is hard to beat. I apologize in advance for the "blasphemy" on a 1911 thread.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just a lot of good brands out there. I don't know that you gain much on a CCW by going to one of the top brands, but then again, I've never owned a Baer so...Make my vote for the Commander sized guns if you're really going to carry it every day concealed. Go to an Officer's size and you possibly give up some reliability and IMO don't gain a lot. OTOH, a full-size 1911 is not that harder to conceal than Commander-sized. The Commander sized seems the best though. As others have said, you'll probably want an alloy because it's not gonna be the size as much as the weight that you won't like.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I own two entry level Kimbers and they have been perfect. One is a full-size Custom II and the other is Ultra-Carry. I really do love carrying the UC and it was my EDC for a long time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My two favorite 1911 carry guns are the Kimber Combat Carry and Springfield Light Weight Champion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

IMO the Gold Cup is never a bad choice.

[Linked Image]

Nor is the Springfield Armory Loaded.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My worst handgun sale was when I sold a 70 Colt LW Combat Commander that I set up with a Bomar rear sight.

I didn't spend the time to learn how to shoot it accurately and got antsy for accuracy and sold it for a ..........crap ! can't remember and still wish I had it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I carry a colt LW commander in a Bandara belt.. Best setup I have used so far. Conceal it with a long tee shirt...

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have a Kimber UCII and a pro carry II both run flawless.
That said they are both up for sale so I can order a Dan Wesson
CCO Bobtail.Check them out.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I carry a old school loaded that I've set up how I like. Slicked up the internals got rid of the full length guide rod. She isn't pretty but gets the job done right along with rigs costing tons more.
[Linked Image]

I carry when in the field mostly when I don't have a rifle. She always, ride in the truck alot. Used and abused she is.

Also had a,4" Springfield awhile back with full size grip..

I could see the new Springfield compact range officer finding me some day. But man the full size is versatile and fits my big hands.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.