Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I didn't know anything about it, but my wife found out about it and ordered a kit for both of us. She sent hers off and there was no surprises. She's Russian/Polish and the results yielded that she was a 99% Slavik purebred. My kit laid around here and I never got around to doing it up, but my brother indicated that he was interested so I gave it to him to do.

The outcome was interesting. Both of us are fair skinned with light, fine textured reddish hair and there was quite a bit known about our maternal side of the family. Dad's side however was a mystery. Dad was darkish complected with black hair and he tanned up in the sun. Word was that it was from a hit of native american somewhere back in there somewhere.

Well,..the results came back and there was no native american indicated. It seems that the dark complexion stuff in my family comes from the Iberian peninsula of Europe,....Spain/Portugal,..that stuff. 25% came from Ireland,..no surprise there. But only 7% of our DNA was associated with Great Britain. The majority (44%) could be traced to Germany, France,...alla the non Great Britain Western European people and a pretty good dollup was from Scandinavia.

All of this was interesting, but the biggest hit from the test was from the DNA database that ancestry.com is keeping which compares your DNA to others that have been sent in and lists people who are related to you.

I've yet to learn who the person is, but someone very closely related to me on my father's side had sent in family histories and some pictures.

I pulled up the page and found a picture of my grandmother and my uncle that I had never seen.

I've been sitting here at the computer for 2 days finding out my father's family history.

It's worth doing,...no chit.

I think it's going to explode once it catches on and enough people get involved to string out some in depth family trees.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just found out today that all 4 of my great grandparents on my father's side were born in Germany. I knew about one but not the others.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It seems that the dark complexion stuff in my family comes from the Iberian peninsula of Europe

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My great great grandfather outlived 3 wives and had a 4th when he died. He had children by at least 3 of them. The problem is that all 4 were named Mary and there's no record of which kids came from which Mary. The genealogy research hits a dead end there. Possibly some DNA testing could reveal a few things.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very interesting. I know just generally that I'm about eighty percent Dutch with a smattering of French and German.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.... [b][color:#3333FF]$89 bucks, save 10%[/color][/b] for Christmas...

So now "The Man" has your DNA, wonder what they'll do with it.?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd like to do it and probably will in the future but I already know what I am. All of my ancestors came in around the 1890s so tracing it is easy.

I'm Norwegian, Swedish and 10% Nazi. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a book that traces my lineage on my moms side,back to the people who came over from England in the 1640's.
everything that ancestory.com, has on my family,I told them.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Here's a pic I found on the ancentry.com page of my uncle. He died when I was just a kid. I met him once just a few weeks before he was gone. He was the oldest of 5 boys.

To make a long story short, my father's family grew up *hard* in the bootheel of Southeastern Missouri. They didn't have chit to start with,..and then the depression hit and somebody decided to shoot my grandfather,..so at age 17 or so, my uncle became the guy who had to figure out how to keep the family from starving.

Basically, that meant that you got up in the morning and drug a cotton sack up and down the rows. There was still some cotton sacks around the house when I was a kid. I'd drag one out when we'd go camping and use it for a sleeping bag.

But anyway. My uncle evidently got tired of picking cotton so he looked around for another way to make bean and bacon money and taught himself how to lay brick and block. His baby brother, my dad, worked as a hod carrier for him until he decided to learn how to lay brick and block too,...but WW2 came along after a little bit and he got to go off and make a living doing jungle warfare in the Pacific. Only 11 men from his company survived it, but it got him out of the cotton fields,...and they gave him a medal or two,...had him be an Alamo Scout,...allowed him to carrouse with Filipina women,...I've got a half brother somewhere over there if he's not dead.

But this,...I like this pic of my uncle. I'm sure that the suit and the hat aren't Hart, Shaftner and Marx, but they seem to fit him well enough. The tie looks like it was scooped out of a drawer for the occasion,....probably a clip on. The belt is broken in enough,..I'd say that he wore it while laying block earlier in the day, and that one hand that's visible clearly indicates a life of hard, physical work.

More than anything,..I like his expression and his pale, almost white eyes.

He's got his head cocked to the side,....them eyes looking straight through the camera,..and he's telling the world, "This cain't break me. I'll get through this and take my share of women with me. They gotta eat and I can feed 'em,...so here I am".

Uncle Harvey:

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Interesting.... [b][color:#3333FF]$89 bucks, save 10%[/color][/b] for Christmas...

So now "The Man" has your DNA, wonder what they'll do with it.?
Not the Man, the Mormons.

IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
And here's the baby of the family,...my dad,..all spiffed up in 1941 and getting ready to head for the Pacific theater of war,...still smiling because he didn't know what was waiting. This was long before I was born. I never saw him smile like this very much.

[Linked Image]

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,...and this is the pic of my grandmother that I had never seen until I came across it on ancestry.com. I knew her as an old white haired woman,...but this is her during the cotton picking years.

She's got them pale eyes like uncle Harvey,....and more wrinkles than her years should allow.

It's amazing how much my dad took after her,...except for his dark coloring.

[Linked Image]

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Then me,...spoiled kid of the 70's,...who didn't know any better than to piss and moan about the weak ass scratchin' I had to go through during my time coming up.

[Linked Image]

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,...one of my daughters who will graduate dental school in May,..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It IS interesting. I gave it to my wife for Christmas last year and had our daughter do the test. I hate to say it, but we is cousins.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Which 'WE' is that?

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
My other daughter who has a master's degree and is a medical illustrator.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Of all the pictures......grin

You know what I mean.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,...and my boy,...lol,...he's carrying the family torch and likes to party,....but he'll get it figured out. He's a smart kid.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Which 'WE' is that?

You know what I meant, you sack of nuts. Now we know why all my girls look Russian.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 61 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,835
Posts18,496,745
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.