Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I can't take it anymore, the pressure is getting to me. I have to have a .25-.284. Here's what I am looking at:
<br>
<br>(1). I already have an ADL SUCKS action, .243 win;
<br>(2). I just PM'ed Rick to try and get a McMillan;
<br>(3). I want to go with a Pac-Nor barrel (stainless).
<br>
<br>To have the authentic BSS, what would be recommendations on Barrel Contour and Length. My plans are for this rifle to be my "carry" rifle for desert mulies, javelina, and possibly antelope. I want something light, and want to shoot the "blue meanies". Also, does this reduce my magazine capacity to three (no problem there)? Any recommendations on metal finish for the action? (It's got that ADL 'Matte' on it now). Also, Rick, got any obnoxious colors ready to spray [Linked Image][Linked Image]??!!!!
<br>
<br>2nd
<br>
<br>2nd
<br>
<br>

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I will throw up a different sort of smell. Mine has a 26 inch barrel and I wouldn't go any shorter. My rifle shoots the blue meanies at a tad over 3,500 fps. Everyone else with there 22 and 23" barrels is getting about 3,390 fps. Not a big deal, but for 5 oz of weight increase, I like the extra zip. Mine is a #3 contour, because I do a lot of long range varmint hunting with it off the bags. My next one (the wife's) will be a #2 contour SS Pac-Nor with a 10 twist 26" long. That seems about ideal to me. The #1 contour seems to do about 1" groups. I want a little better than that, so I opted for the stiffer barrel. I have not been disappointed at all, other than my Douglas barrel is PICKY!!!! It only shoots 100 grain Barnes XLC's worth a hoot. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and yes, you will be limited to 3 in the belly on the magazine. You only need one bullet when shooting a .25-284 though (grin). Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flinch, what does yours weigh in at???

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Rick sent me a picture of a "Flinch Special" stock. You guys are making this difficult. Maybe I had better build both the "Big Stick" and "Flinch" Editions [Linked Image][Linked Image].
<br>
<br>I have seen pictures of both, and they are both fine looking rifles!!!!
<br>
<br>2nd

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you can get a Mod. 7, or a 600 action, you will cut down on the weight. Mine uses a 660/600 action.
<br> Mine has a 24 inch, Lt. Mtn. contour, SS Super Match barrel. Shoots the Sierra 100 gr. Bt's and Barnes XLC's into groups as small as .4 MOA.
<br> Mine, clocks 3340 fps. with the XLC 100 gr. bullets into .8-1.1 MOA with a very reasonable load of Re-19.
<br> I used the Rem. Mtn Rifle McM stock with graphite and moulded in color. Without graphite, and the moulded in color, I could have saved 4-6 ozs. I went with the ADL style.
<br> Wears Gentry rings and bases with a 3-9X Leo. Compact w/ target elevation knob.
<br> Balances on the front reciever ring, and weighs 7 lbs., 2 ozs. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 09/28/02.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with a Pac-Nor #1 conture, 23" long on a 600 action.
<br> With McMillan mtn rifle conture stock in light fill, and Leo. 6x42, it came out at 7.5 lbs ready to hunt.
<br> This combo balances/packs better than any of my lightweight rifles.
<br> If you build a BSS (big Stick Special) you won't be sorry!
<br> vbshootinrange.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhhhh,another victim of the "25-284 Bug". Good move,great cartridge in my opinion.
<br>
<br>Regarding your numbered questions:
<br>
<br>1) That would be an excellent action to base it upon.
<br>
<br>2) McMillan would be my choice,hands down.
<br>
<br>3) PacNor makes a superb product. I'd opt S/S as you mentioned and buy the best they make(SuperMatch).
<br>
<br>Here's some of my observations on the cartridge,in a rambling order:
<br>
<br>1) 1-10" twist makes me very happy.
<br>
<br>2) Even a 23" barrel will make critter catchin' speeds. As Flinch has mentioned before(and accurately,of course)is that a longer tube will grant you more speed. I'd sculpt the rifle for the niche you wish it to fill and run it in that guise. If length and weight are concerns,build it to fill that role.
<br>
<br>One of mine is a #1 contour,23-1/4" long. The other is a #3 and 24" long. Both haul ass and are amazingly accurate. The lighter/shorter rifle,sees much more use,because it is soooooo handy.
<br>
<br>3) Try to find a rifle that is of the length and balance you seek. Use it as a blueprint and duplicate those details you feel are "perfect" and alter those differences that you think might have room for improvement.
<br>
<br>Stock style and LOP,are foremost in my mind. Barrel length/contour secondary.
<br>
<br>Net result will be a tack drivin' SOB,that is a gas to shoot and leave you scratchin' your head,as to why and the hell you hadn't treated yourself to a rifle built to your whim,lonnggg before.
<br>
<br>Put some real thought into the end result and you will be very happy................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies. The action is getting ready to go to Pac-nor. I am going to go with the #3 contour, Stainless -steel match, and bed it in a McMillan Classic Pattern. Sure wish I had it this weekend for the son's antelope hunt.
<br>
<br>The shots were sure taxing his 16.5" barreled Ruger .243. Finally ended up switching him over to the 7mm-'08 so that he could Ma Bell one (reach out and touch someone). I will post pictures of his antelope as soon as they are developed.
<br>
<br>I am going to send one of the spare 700 .300 Win Mags to Pac-Nor and build him a "Bat rifle" duplicate for next years antelope hunt. These darn youth hunts in New Mexico are on ranches that literally look like billiard tables. There wasn't even a sage brush to use as cover for a stalk. The state Game and Fish had 4 kids hunting on 330 acres of land!! After the first shot was fired, the hunting resembled a shooting gallery. I am going to have to take him out sight seeing this weekend so that he knows what a standing antelope looks like.
<br>
<br>We finally were able to belly crawl up to 250 yards of one yesterday afternoon, and he was able to make the shot. Next year he will be shooting something (.257 Weatherby) that shoots a little flatter and Dad will be using a range-finder!!
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My "big" 25-284 is the one rifle that all my pard's drool over. One of my best buddy's favorite sayings is,"that's the ONLY rifle you have,that's worth a sheet!". He reminds me of that,whenever he see's that rifle. It's his motto(and yes he built a 25-284 too).
<br>
<br>It wears the aforementioned #3 contour PacNor S/S SuperMatch(1-10"),is 24" in length and is on a BDL SUCKS. I poked it in an Urban Camo McMillan stock,that is in the Remington Classic pattern.
<br>
<br>That blueprint yields a very nice handling,EXTREMELY well balanced rifle,that is very adept at most everything. It's one you grab hold of and immediately think,"I can shoot this thing!". It's just right.
<br>
<br>This is the rifle that started the 25-284 craze,amongst my pards. It is CRAZY accurate,has zilch for recoil and is in a very friendly ergonomic package. Easy to like such a rifle..........
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That's the rifle that I want to build. Only thing that I plan on doing different is having it painted in a "Swirl" pattern. Thanks for the input. Hopefully it will be ready in time to zap a few javelinas in February. What is her final weight?
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually,it varies,as it is sorta my control test bed for scope evaluations. If/when I think I have a scope that is puking(insert Burris here),it goes on board that rifle for a test drive.
<br>
<br>With a sane scope,a "regular" filled stock and Dual Dovetails,she'll go about 8.25lbs. You can juggle final weight,with those variables.
<br>
<br>I'm a swirl fan too,so understand that yearning...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you go with a 26" or better barrel length, you wont need a .257 Weatherby. I am amazed at how fast my .25-284 shoots those blue bullets (3,500+fps). The Weatherbys that I am familiar with are only besting that by 100 fps with a lot more muzzle blast and powder consumption. They also have 26 inch pipes. Big Stick has given you great advice. Build it for you and have fun. The 100 grain Hornady flat base spire point bullets are WONDERFUL for whitetail, antelope and deer sized game. They hang together well and really put them down fast. I like the XLC's for the tougher stuff, like Giant Prairie dogs (GRIN). Muley Stalker, I weighed my rifle on a fish scale and it said 3 lbs. Not too bad in my estimation (wink). It gives new meaning to the term "mountain rifle".I always thought those scales were weighted more on the heavy end. I have half a notion to take it back and get a refund. How can I lie with a scale like that????? I am thinking my rifle is right at 8.75 lbs. I know it has got to be close to that. Flinch

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
well i am going to break down and build one with a # 5 krieger cut at 25" and i don't know what else i am going to with it is the rifle basix trigger the way to go which brass do you guys use norma or lapua, people at sinclair say its slightly larger than .284 win brass what do you guys think? is the the 25" barrel going to make a 100 grain ballistic tip explode on the skin of a skimpy southern whitetail?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Flinch,
<br>
<br>Everytime I get comfortable with my decision, you have to go and throw more good advice in. [Linked Image] I may have to look at going with a little longer barrel. I just want to keep the weight down so that it's not a burden to carry all day.
<br>
<br>All that I know is that I have to do something before next year for the son's antelope rifle. I really like the handling and the weight on his Ruger Compact .243, but the darn thing was literally shooting flames out of the barrel on the overcast days of the hunt. (Just need to build the carry big enough so that "Dad" can get his fun out of it too!!)
<br>
<br>2nd

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I gotta stop reading these 25/284 posts..........jeez, I know I'm gonna have to have one sooner or later.Wonder how my 22"257 Bob 700 MR would do with a rechamber?...a 22" 25/284?...hmmmmmmmm.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Rembo,
<br>
<br>It's addictive. I can't tell you how many times I have run searches for ".25-.284", "25-284" and "25/284" on the Internet in the past few weeks!!!!
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys:
<br>
<br>Willlya please kwit talkin' about this thing?? I have this perfectly good pair of 25-06's (one very light, one heavy) and I'm looking at them like red headed stepchildren now.
<br>
<br>Don't forget Mr. Sisk's recent research on barrel length. It seemed that regardless of expansion ratio those calibers all shed between 18-20 fps/inch. For me that's not enough to justify the 26" barrel. Two inches of barrel does not add much weight (maybe 2-3 oz.) but I've always found longer barrels cumbersome. Admittedly, I hunt 90% of the time in areas where timber and brush are a constant factor. My light 25-06 has a 22" barrel and I'm quite satisfied with it. I suppose 22-23" would do nicely for a 25/284
<br>
<br>JimF
<br>
<br>

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Spoke to a fellow today that bought a 600 Mohawk 243 from me about three years ago....yup,...he'll sell it back to me..........could this be the start of the dreaded 25/284 affliction taking hold?Is it too late to stop the spread? Do I really "want" to stop it?

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't even try to stop it. Just buy back the 600. Heck even if the vaccine works and you recover from "the disease" you'll have a nice short action around. Just think, you can still mess around with having the action "printed" or you could change out the bolt handle, firing pin and shroud etc.
<br>
<br>Then when you get sick again.......it'll be all ready.
<br>
<br>JimF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 4,227 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,653
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.