Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by SAKO75; 12/14/14.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sako: Thanks!

One thing about the Internet review of anything is if someone has a problem we are going to hear about it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob that's true...even about stuff that never has problems

Last edited by SAKO75; 12/15/14.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[quote=Formidilosus]

BS....you think you know a lot more than you really do. One of my best friends is a Special Forces Sniper Instructor who has been deployed all over the world. His go to scope on his work rifle is a 4-16X50 S&B PMII. I run the same scope on my work rifle, and have for the past six years,(three barrels)without any POI change through all kinds of climatic conditions, from 40*F below to 110*F. And as far as glass quality not making a difference, I disagree completely, the better you can see, the better you can shoot....anyone knows that. Would you rather have 20-15 vision, or 20-20 vision?

It's not even worth it......

You seem like a good dude, Pat. But you are wrong. I'm not guessing.

It wouldn't take much looking to find that out.

I don't need to look....I've been using those scopes for years without a hitch. They may not be for everyone, but they have been good to me.....and that's not a guess.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob
I Have a never had a problem with my NF scopes. I figure they will last my life. They are great tools. Was not my intent to start a fight. I will happily send a scope or rifle for you to try in any above which I spoke.
Best Rick Menefee

P.s. I'll know crawl back to the knife forum before being raped by a mall Ninja.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of my best friends is a Special Forces Sniper Instructor who has been deployed all over the world.

Then he should have the DSN # for Range 37. Have him call there and ask who the honor grad was for SOTIC class # 3-87. They all used to be up on the wall for all to see. Then you can "out" me. While you're at it, enjoy a great big cup of GFY this morning.

Last edited by 4321; 12/15/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever, Rambo......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Bob
I Have a never had a problem with my NF scopes. I figure they will last my life. They are great tools. Was not my intent to start a fight. I will happily send a scope or rifle for you to try in any above which I spoke.
Best Rick Menefee

P.s. I'll know crawl back to the knife forum before being raped by a mall Ninja.

Rick my game plan over the next year, as finances allow, is to acquire one of each and I have every confidence that both will meet expectations. Which one comes first depends on rifle logistics and not on preferences based on which I think is "better". I have very confidence both will work fine.

There are too many experienced people on here shooting both so that I am not worried about it. smile

That said thanks for the offer! I appreciate it and thanks to all who offered opinions on this. Demonstrations of passion for a product usually means that the user has had good experiences and that's good enough for me! wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/15/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IME, those who have been there, done that, don't tend to engage in ostentatious bloviation... shocked

DF

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
For grown men alot of guys are acting like my 5 and 8 year old children. Wow...
Dont come here much but this thread cements it.

Cheers!!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scott_r
For grown men alot of guys are acting like my 5 and 8 year old children. Wow...
Dont come here much but this thread cements it.

Cheers!!

laugh

Welcome to the Fire...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Optics Forum has typically been a rough and tumble venue. Comparatively speaking, this thread has been quite tame!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LIVE ACTION!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to agree and it' refreshing to see various opinions being shared by men with lots of experience with which they talk about. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Nightforce scopes are amongst the toughest scopes available today at any price and for any use they might encounter. They are, however, not the only game in town as it is also quite apparent that the Bushnell DMR (34mm) and LRHS are also very tough and dependable too. Then you have the SWFA SS scopes that are also proving that you don't have to spend $2000+ to get a rock solid dependable scope that holds it own with any of them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't have an itch for a NF, although I appreciate the positive comments made about them.

I like good glass that's pretty simple, duplex reticle, maybe a hunting type elevation turret.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jeffbird
To digress just a minute to respond to the original question with some actual hands on experience, I bought a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 with MOAR, external turrets and zero stop and used it a bit this season. Overall, the size is excellent, and it is solidly built like a full-size NXS. The optics are better than the 32mm's. The optics work well in all light, low light, and even dark.

The MOAR reticle works nicely for hunting. The "floating" crosshairs really make a nice aiming point, especially when in a hurry. The MOAR and MIL-R allow for holding for wind, holdovers, and to see needed corrections, which the IHR does not.

This model comes with a choice of capped turrets or exposed turrets, so pick whichever is preferred. I prefer external turrets as correction can be dialed quickly and easily. Zero stops are a must have on any scope in my experience and opinion.

This model has externally adjustable illumination, with five different intensity settings, and can switch between red and green by pressing the button. Red is easier on my eye. In practice, the lowest setting is the one that is useful in low light conditions to minimize constriction of the pupil. The illumination can be helpful to contrast a black reticle against a black feral pig in low light.

Overall, the scope is very solid, tracks and returns to zero reliably. I ended up selling it recently, as I prefer higher magnification for some of the shooting I do, but I probably will end up buying another at some point. Definitely would recommend it over any other compact scope that I've tried.

It is more compact than a S&B PMII 3-12, so they are really not directly analogous. Between the two, the S&B 3-12 is the stronger optically with the 50mm objective. The laws of physics are a constant, so a bigger objective provides more light gathering capability and a bigger exit pupil. I never found the compact NXS optics wanting in any potential shot.

fwiw - I have shot feral pigs by moonlight on two different occasions with my NXS 5.5-22x56. I've used S&B a bit, and like them of course, but always found the NXS met my needs and always works.

[Linked Image]

Customer of the NXS compact 2.5-10x42 from 125 yards.

[Linked Image]

jeffbird,
Thank you for the informative post. I have been considering one of these scopes for a medium weight hunting rifle. I shoot Nightforce scopes in competition and I am impressed with their optics and tracking. I wish they would release something identical to this, but with a first focal plane reticle. Maybe that is coming...

Some of you guys need to get up from the keyboard, go outside and take a deep breath.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Whatever, Rambo......

Ha! I liken this to two Pop Warner coaches giving a lesson in toughness to Dick Butkus. I mean....really?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I don't have an itch for a NF, although I appreciate the positive comments made about them.

I like good glass that's pretty simple, duplex reticle, maybe a hunting type elevation turret.

DF

That's pretty much me as well. I can see the need for a mil type reticle for long range shooting and using the reticle for wind correction (guessing the voodoo) but I'm a guy that keeps my distances reasonable, for me anyway, so a target turret is all that I'll realistically need as I like to hold on hair, plus I have pretty flat shooting rifles (my 280 Ackley and 300 WM) so holdover is kept pretty reasonable anyway.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Whatever, Rambo......

Ha! I liken this to two Pop Warner coaches giving a lesson in toughness to Dick Butkus. I mean....really?

Taking nothing away from Pat whose posts are as informative as they are enjoyable, Formidilosus appears to have a significant and relevant background by many of his comments that I have seen. EHG, definitely carries weight.

Countdown 4321, no comment.

You're welcome Ryan.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll make one, GFY.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.