-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I finally got a roundtoit and upgraded the random access memory in my ancient Dell and it's like I have a new computer. When I bought it it only had 256k of RAM. Many years ago I upgraded to 512k and yesterday made the jump to 1GB.

It's smokin' fast now. cool

The good thing is I waited long enough for the price of memory cards for outdated computers to hit rock bottom prices. I got two brand new 512k cards for $9.02 including shipping from Amazon.

Plus I cleaned out many years worth of dust and spiderwebs. It was real nasty but it runs a lot quieter after a thorough cleaning.

How many years will a 2002 vintage Dell with Windows XP last? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a computer to run a CNC plate burner every day all day that runs windows 95. So almost 20 years. Other than replacing a power buppy that has been it and it sits out in a cabinet in a dusty/dirty and hot shop.

Otto is my co-pilot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, Mo Ram is betta.

I'm running 12 Gigs on one machine, 16 on the other, and that doesn't count what's on the video cards.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
How many expansion slots does your MB have? You can run up to 4 gigs of ram with XP. We still have systems running 98SE, and they are at least 20 years old.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
According to specs my system is limited to 1GB max.

It's doing OK with 1GB. I was running out of memory with Chrome plus AdBlock and Avast and and all the other stuff that loads on webpages nowadays.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fish head

I'd get Windows 7 and install it. You will have a better system.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought this was gonna be about a Dodge pick up truck...

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Dimension 2400?

If I had more HD space it'd still run.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I finally got a roundtoit and upgraded the random access memory in my ancient Dell and it's like I have a new computer. When I bought it it only had 256k of RAM. Many years ago I upgraded to 512k and yesterday made the jump to 1GB.

The good thing is I waited long enough for the price of memory cards for outdated computers to hit rock bottom prices. I got two brand new 512k cards for $9.02 including shipping from Amazon.

Plus I cleaned out many years worth of dust and spiderwebs. It was real nasty but it runs a lot quieter after a thorough cleaning.

The best update to speed up your computer , isn't really ram, but more ram will help , the best update for speed is to replace your old rpm Hard Drive with a Digital Hard Drive.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Dimension 2400?

If I had more HD space it'd still run.

It's a Dimension 2350 and I don't have any issues with HD space. I've still have lots of unused space.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put Linux on there it'll last forever.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well ...

The memory sticks that I first received didn't play well with my system. It booted up OK, ran fine for awhile, but then it started having random issues. Chrome would crash, AdBlock wouldn't load or crashed, and I got the blue screen of death twice warning to remove any newly installed hardware. It got to the point where I had put the old memory back in.

I called A-TECH (the Amazon retailer) and I got to give two thumbs way up for great customer service. The gal I spoke with identified the problem with the replacement memory. It was a higher speed (2700) than what my system was designed for (2100) and they promptly sent out two new sticks and all seems so good so far.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to specs my system is limited to 1GB max.

It's doing OK with 1GB. I was running out of memory with Chrome plus AdBlock and Avast and and all the other stuff that loads on webpages nowadays.

Yep, same situation with mine, 16GB RAM. I've turned off everything that I can but it still runs slow when there is a lot of traffic on the Internet, which is most of the time. I think the problem is in the hard wires from the phone company. I pay for high speed Internet but that rarely occurs. Maybe at 3:00AM when nobody's using the system.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I thought this was gonna be about a Dodge pick up truck...

Mike

That is what Jeff Fisher keeps saying...More RAM

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

I doubt it would run Window's 7. Windows 7 required a minimum of a 1 gig process. There we not may 1 gig processors in 2002. And that's running the 32 bit version, if you go 64 bit it requires a 2 gig processor.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got a bad azz 1.8 gig Pentium 4 processor. cool

When I bought my computer it was solid mid-level machine and has performed well over time all things considered.

I'm not changing anything. I've done so many tweaks over the years that I'd hate to have to start all over again.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bea175

The best update to speed up your computer , isn't really ram, but more ram will help , the best update for speed is to replace your old rpm Hard Drive with a Digital Hard Drive.

What upgrade is best really depends on the system.

Most folks who don't know much about computers, and buy a bargain machine, buy one with too little ram, so for them it is the simplest most effective upgrade.

Next is the video card. If you are doing more then just browsing, a good video card will take the graphic intensive operations away from your main cpu and free it up for other operations, and bring some addition RAM for video operations along with it. As a data point, my video card has twice as much memory as the OP's system.

Where hypothesis holds correct is this. For along time, the greatest bottle neck in computer performance was the size of the pipe (the Bus) between the hard drive and the motherboard. This bottle necks been eliminated, so the bottleneck became harddrive performance. The new SDD's are much faster then the old spinney versions, and the technology is now reaching a point where they are big enough, reliable enough, and cheap enough that they are a very worthwhile, IF you have a newer machine that can take advantage of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on your successful upgrade.
I haven't used a Dell since they stopped speaking English at their call centers.

Americans First!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 18 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,859
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.