Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a few bulk fuel tanks I have not used in a couple years.

Now, as fuel prices drop, I am looking to fill them this winter.

Do I need to be worried about cleaning these tanks somehow?

One has a little bit of diesel still in it. The other haven't had any fuel in them for years.

How do I prep these tanks? Do I need to prep them?

Montana MOFO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on if any water, rust or other funk and gunk has accumulated in them. It's definitely easier to deal with such stuff before filling the tanks than afterwords. That putting on a nice fresh filter/water separator as well.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are going to store the gas in tanks (and I assume you will) for a month plus, add some "Stabil", an anti-oxidant. It keeps the gasoline from becoming oxidized and gummy (in in longer storage). Home Depot or farm equipment dealers sell the stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs
If you are going to store the gas in tanks (and I assume you will) for a month plus, add some "Stabil", an anti-oxidant. It keeps the gasoline from becoming oxidized and gummy (in in longer storage). Home Depot or farm equipment dealers sell the stuff.

How many bulk fuel tanks do you own?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a diesel tank I have used off and on over the years. I have 2 other tanks I purchased at auction that I have yet to use.

All totaled, probably 400-500 gallons capacity.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Algae can be a problem in diesel tanks that have not been used.

Are you talking gasoline, or diesel fuel?

Gas can evaporate even in winter.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I have a diesel tank I have used off and on over the years. I have 2 other tanks I purchased at auction that I have yet to use.

All totaled, probably 400-500 gallons capacity.

Sorry tarkio that question was directed at djs. My suggestion is go talk to your bulk dealer and ask his advice if he is knowledgeable.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have bulk tanks diesel and gas tanks at both farms. Bought used but nice at farm auctions, I inspected the interiors, flushed them out (about 10 gallons diesel for the diesel, same for the gas), blasted and then painted the exteriors with POR-15. I top coated with Rustoleum. You should run both a fuel filter and a water separating filter inline, and change at least annually, depending on how much you flow.

Leave the Stabil for the guys storing little cans and winterizing their lawnmowers, weedeaters, and chainsaws. It's a consumer-based product and isn't any good for bulk storage, especially if you're talking for a year or more. (Gold Eagle does however make a great engine fogger).
Use Pri-G for the gas, Pri-D for the diesel tanks. One quart treats over 500 gallons. It runs about $30/qt. and is available many places online.
I buy only non-ethanol gas for the gas tank from my farm Co-op. Runs about the same as mid-grade, including delivery cost.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I have bulk tanks diesel and gas tanks at both farms. Bought used but nice at farm auctions, I inspected the interiors, flushed them out (about 10 gallons diesel for the diesel, same for the gas), blasted and then painted the exteriors with POR-15. I top coated with Rustoleum. You should run both a fuel filter and a water separating filter inline, and change at least annually, depending on how much you flow.

Leave the Stabil for the guys storing little cans and winterizing their lawnmowers, weedeaters, and chainsaws. It's a consumer-based product and isn't any good for bulk storage, especially if you're talking for a year or more. (Gold Eagle does however make a great engine fogger).
Use Pri-G for the gas, Pri-D for the diesel tanks. One quart treats over 500 gallons. It runs about $30/qt. and is available many places online.
I buy only non-ethanol gas for the gas tank from my farm Co-op. Runs about the same as mid-grade, including delivery cost.

Smart move on the POR-15. I've had good luck storing 93octane non-ethanol in GI cans for 6mo with Stabil.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Put the tanks on a slight angle away from the sucking tube. That way the "gunk" settles toward the other end of the tank. It also helps to not draw the tank down to absolute empty but rather keep them at least a few inches full.

Put a fresh fuel filter on the tank and get back to business. You won't have any problems.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I have a few bulk fuel tanks I have not used in a couple years.

Now, as fuel prices drop, I am looking to fill them this winter.

Do I need to be worried about cleaning these tanks somehow?

One has a little bit of diesel still in it. The other haven't had any fuel in them for years.

How do I prep these tanks? Do I need to prep them?

I would first do a quick exterior inspection of the tanks. Just look for any obvious holes/major rust...

Then sloush 5-10 gallons of diesel in the empty tank and if possible empty into a 5 gallon bucket and check for 'funk'.

It will be a pain in the ass so just leave it the tank for a couple hours and look for seepage. Do not fill to maximum capacity until you know it doesn't leak.

Have a filter in between the tank hose and the pump or valve(gravity setup).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.